3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Are There Boost Controllers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are There Boost Controllers?

In my turbocharged car I used to own, I had a boost controller to control the integrated wastegate on the turbo. From the cockpit I could set the PSI the wastegate would open at so that the turbocharger wouldn't go above a set PSI level.

I have not seen any diesel user have/use one of these...not that I've looked that hard.

I just figured it would be a nice device to have since I have a stage 3 Garrett dual ball-bearing turbo on order (August 15 arrival).

You see, I've read in the Garrett instructions that one can adjust the actuator to open at a set PSI. What would be nice is to mechanically set the actuator its maximum (40 PSI) and then use a boost controller to dial it down...since I don't have the mods to support that kind of air flow/pressure at this time.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 PM

you can use a boost fooler from quadzilla on a stock turbo. i don't think the garrett is computer controled.but like you said you can adjust the wastegate actuator on the garrett turbo.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 PM

No, not a boost fooler...an electronic boost controller.

Instead of the wastegate acutator on the turbo being simply opened at a set PSI from the pressure created in the compression side of the turbo, a solenoid is put in-line (using simple hoses) to intercept the pressure. The solenoid is then controlled electronically by the electronic controller in the cabin and thus can be quickly "dialed" to control how much pressure the turbo actuator sees. One then has full control over the turbo's PSI output...rather than going under the hood and readjusting the actuator every time you want to increase/decrease PSI. The EBC is very easy to install.

Plus, an EBC is also very accurate in its readings, settings, and you can even control the gain - that is, you can limit how fast the turbo spools up. It's a safety for the turbo as well - not allowing it to go over a set PSI that might cause engine or turbo damage - which is why I am wondering if I can pop one of these babies on...

See the Profec B-Spec II here:

http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics/profec
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 PM

i don't see why u could not use that. let me know how it turns out if you do it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 PM

Yes, I'm not sure why either. The gas and diesel crowds don't seem to talk much and so I thought that maybe this was one thing the diesel crowd has yet to adopt...???

When I get my turbo and if the actuator is just your regular run-of-the mill actuator, I will get the Greddy for sure.

Just wish I didn't have to wait until AUGUST!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 AM

I have noticed this aswell, I use similar thing from turbosmart on garrett turbo, but the turbo on 4stroke sled. Can turn boost up & down. Was wondering why nobody in the diesel world uses them, guess some try with the brass elbow & set screw. In the long run, a wastegate is a wastegate. Opens let exhaust to bypass the turbine wheel. That garrett should sound wicked on a truck engine, I know it howls on my 1 litre yami.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Here is my take on it... In the gas world you often have to limit your boost level based on the octane gas you are running. The boost controllers make it easy to go from street trim to race trim. Pour in good gas adjust the timing and boost and your ready.

Also gas motors usually don't run near the boost pressure a diesel does and the waste gate will control top pressure where often times with smaller turbos on diesels the waste gate never opens.

Set the waste gate on kill and if you want to detune pull fuel out of it. You probably won't get close to top pressure without the fuel.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks alot better than a pair of vice grips on the waste gate hose.

If that works for you as mentioned above please post the results. That would have some really good benifits for towing and EGT's if I read it correctly.

The link for the install did not work.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 PM

When I had my gasser it was essential to have it as the upgraded turbo I put on could push 30 PSI and would have blown the pistons out the block or destroyed my headgasket with one run - for all the reasons you mention. So I set it to 15 PSI. Worked really well.

I guess that's why I'm thinking of using the same on the Garrett. I mean, can't a diesel run lean, too high of an A/F ratio and melt pistons too?

See, the thing is...I don't want to drop money on a +$5800 transmission, dual CP3s, bigger injectors and upgraded intercooler...that's the next step if I want to wind up this stage 3 Garrett. Really, to do it properly you have to do it all at once, no? That's a costly leap - about $10k?

So I thought the alternative was to control the turbo, and as I upgrade other components, I dial in more boost. Safer I figure...step by step.

In other news, I found the stage 3 Garrett in stock in the USA so I'm ordering it in the next day or two.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Ok... Get this... Gas motors don't melt down from being run lean. They melt down from being over timed and detonation. The more fuel you pull out the more timing becomes an issue. Fuel will mask an over timed engine. This is why many people think that they melted down from being lean. When really they were over timed the whole time and when the fuel goes away it turns metals to liquid. Pull out the timing and then take away the fuel and it won't melt. Lean is mean. But you better have the timing right.

On a diesel timing will also melt it down, not from being lean. However fuel doesn't mask timing because diesels are compression ignition... Fuel usually advances timing and It makes it hotter. Boost does have a cooling effect. Boost is also usually directly related to the fuel being injected and heat produced from combustion.

So cliffnotes... Lean is not the enemy... Over timing is the enemy.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel's are different than gassers. The boost depends on the amount of fuel in a diesel. So, control the fuel and you control the boost pressure for the most part. As far as the meltdowns go, too many reasons to try and explain why and how. It's not as simple as was stated above.

Oh yeah, if you run lean in a diesel, the turbo will surge. Not good!!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 PM

Regardless...if I missed adding the point about how running lean and timing are both interrelated...the question still is (and maybe I wasn't clear enough):

...will adding a turbo that exceeds my current fueling system pose risk to my diesel engine? Yes or no?

If there is risk, I better get a means to hold back that turbo until such time (money) that I can get all the other supporting mods.

But even if there is no risk but the additional strain put on the drivetrain from too much torque at the crank, shouldn't one hold the turbo back somewhat because I have a stock transmission, correct?

So I'm wondering why using a boost controller hasn't been embraced by the diesel community. Is it because:
- everyone just does every supporting mod for a new turbo all at once?
- it's not necessary since there is no risk to having too much air?
- no one has really thought of it for diesel?

It's not like I have full engine control (yet) like the gassers do, where I can hook up a laptop to a stand-alone diesel engine management system while my truck is pulling on a dyno and adjust the timing, a/f ratio, etc. to get everything absolutely perfect/balanced.

Instead, I have parts. And I have a programmer that someone else programmed. It's like trying to create a "Mona Lisa" with big fat crayolas.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would really like one as well.

TST has the option to adjust boost, but its with their controller.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No, you won't cause any issues if you have more air than you can use. You just won't get the boost pressure. I have a brand new Greedy Profec Bspec in the box for my car. Never even considered needing it for my truck.

Oh yeah, If you have too much fuel and not enough turbo, that is an issue. You will see it as high EGT's. Diesels are actually alot simpler than gassers. Tuning a gasser turbo can be a pain in the butt.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Let the turbo make the boost pressure it wants to for the fuel you are running. If you start pulling back the boost to detune, your egt's are going to start climbing. If you want to detune to save parts pull out fuel, and boost pressure will fall with it.

Quick Reply: Are There Boost Controllers?