3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Subwoofer Placement Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tufamc
I checked into the JL center councel box, comes loaded with a 13in and amp, but price at my local JL dealer was $960, so I made my own, by its self my box looks very crude but in the truck one can barley see it.

He must of been quoteing you on something else because msrp from JL is something like $500-550. Either that or he's a sleezy car stereo guy who you should never go back to.

I searched ebay and they seem to pop up every week or so for $250-350.

I scored JL Stealth box off craigslist for $175 and he was local so no shipping.

As far as the MC stealthbox goes I doubt they will fill it with w6's. If I just spent the extra $4-5K on a mega cab there's no way I take away from the back seat features. I'd just get the center console sub and call it good.

As far as sound quality goes for the center colsole sub it sounds great. I never had any "strange" sounds coming from it. It sounds just like a trunk box just closer to you.

D.Wiggs maybe you could write the Hotbox guy snad see if you could greese his pockets a bit and he might do a custom W7 box. Just tell him about your truck and all the pubilisity it will be recieving and he's probably do it.

Good Luck everyone
Old 09-15-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BigDan

D.Wiggs maybe you could write the Hotbox guy snad see if you could greese his pockets a bit and he might do a custom W7 box. Just tell him about your truck and all the pubilisity it will be recieving and he's probably do it.

Good Luck everyone
That's a **** good idea. Does anyone have his direct e-mail? I am going to try and reach him through ebay.

As far as the system goes, I am trying to keep the factory head unit because of the bluetooth integration and steering wheel controls. I am however going to do the Alpine OEM integration module that will allow me to use all aftermarket sound components with the stock head unit. I have two IVA-D901 head units from previous vehicles that I would use otherwise. I like the flip out head units personally.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

Make sure your head unit has seperate subwoofer controls or it will sound like junk. It not everything get way too much bass or not enough fromg sond to song. It a common feature on aftermarket head units

My returned email was from Doug Brown.

I just wrote him from his ebay email
Old 09-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

i bet your friends over at unique whips would love to get some more of your money... I mean get you what you want in your truck......
Old 09-15-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
i bet your friends over at unique whips would love to get some more of your money... I mean get you what you want in your truck......
LOL.

Friends and Unique do not go in the same sentence. Whilst my experience was fun with the TV show, I am far from pleased with their Customer Service and would NEVER go back to them ever again.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:11 PM

Make sure your head unit has seperate subwoofer controls or it will sound like junk. It not everything get way too much bass or not enough fromg sond to song. It a common feature on aftermarket head units

My returned email was from Doug Brown.

I just wrote him from his ebay email
My Alpine's all do as well as the OEM controller has all separate controls and line levels so it basically steals all controls from the head unit other than station or input source.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

surprised to hear that, but they do seem kinda cocky on tv, and the attitude fits with someone that would do what they do and then drop ya after the job is done, too bad tho. If I were to look at the truck and figure out a spot for more room for subs I would have to say cutting the floor and building a recessed basket for the magnets would be your best bet, either under the front or the rear seats, or if ya rally like bass, both ! Reality being a setup under the rear seat, a custom fabbed box taking advantage of the room made by recessing the floor in the areas needed for the basket structure of the speakers.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 AM

I have the mega also and where the ac ducts run under the middle seat is the problem with the hot box. I e mailed the guy and he really did not want to modify the hot box for the ac ducts.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by H BROWN
I have the mega also and where the ac ducts run under the middle seat is the problem with the hot box. I e mailed the guy and he really did not want to modify the hot box for the ac ducts.
Yes, it is definitely going to require a fully custom box and install. Since my truck is at the shop, could you do me the favor of measuring the distance from the back of the cab to the back of the rear seats when folded down. Basically the size of the storage areas behind the rear seats. I saw an install the other day in a magazine that has given me an idea !
Old 09-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
LOL.

Friends and Unique do not go in the same sentence. Whilst my experience was fun with the TV show, I am far from pleased with their Customer Service and
would NEVER go back to them ever again.
Those guys on Unique Whips don't impress me, not even a little bit . My local Al & Ed's does work as good as those jokers. A shop like that is a dime a dozen in SoCal.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Was there a show on Unique wips that I missed out on. Alot of these car shows on TV thake major short cuts and doesnt impress me.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 PM

Was there a show on Unique wips that I missed out on. Alot of these car shows on TV thake major short cuts and doesnt impress me.
My Lamborghini, BMW, and H2 were done by Unique Autosport and featured on an episode of Unique Whips called Duelling Lambos. That's what people are referring to.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM

If anyone could tell me the usable depth from the back of the rear seats (when folded flat) to the rear of the cab I would be greatly appreciative. Also, if anyone could give me a rough idea of the following:

If my usable depth is 10" and I have a box behind the rear seats that is 10" deep, how tall could it be before the rear seats would hit it when fully reclined. I saw a setup that put 4 of my Alpine Type-X 12" subs in that storage area and it gave me a really good idea. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 PM

Not to be nosey. But are you famous? If not is your company hiring.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 PM

What makes you think I am famous? I guess it would depend on how you define famous!

Unfortunately, no new hires for a little while anyway.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Placement Question