3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Subbox for MegaCab

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subbox for MegaCab

What are you using? I would like a single 10" or 12" subbox. I looked on MTX's site and they don't have a Thunderform box for the Megacabs yet?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:19 PM

If i had a MegaCab i'd have this box in it..

www.jlaudio.com

Old 02-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Does the seat still recline with that box?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:27 PM

I have one of the JL's that Keyser mentioned.

When I was looking (about 4 months ago) I found that the only "made to fit" box was a Probox made to house two 12" subs. My local shop ordered one in so we could see how it fit. It fit great, but took up the entire area behind the seats, and you lost most of the recline from them too. Would also leave you having to put amps under seats instead of behind, which I didn't really want to do. I found out JL had theirs in the pre-production phase, so I waited for it. Pretty expensive box, but I'm happy with it. Sounds pretty good for two 10's and leaves room for amps/cap etc. behind seat and retains FULL recline. Oh yeah, for both it and the Probox you have to remove the little cubbyhole floor storage thing so they sit lower.

If space is a concern and money isn't the JL is a pretty nice box.

If money is the biggest issue and you don't care where you put amps, the probox might be the way to go.

There is also somebody on here that has one that was custom built that has three 12's in it.........looks really nice and probably has an incredible hit.......there are photos in a thread somewhere.

I spent entirely too much money on my audio/video stuff (the truck too for that matter) but it sure is nice to have. The factory "upgraded" Infinity stereo is the worst sounding crap I've heard in a long time.

Oops...........just saw you said you wanted a SINGLE sub. Oh well, I've already typed this..........I guess I'll post it anyhow..........may help somebody else!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:19 PM

I would not hesitate to pay the extra $'s for the JL audio...my last set of 10's lasted six years and I sold them for not much less than I bought them for...thats a nice looking box also.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Banned

This is the one I'm using. Well, it's not installed yet but soon !!

http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/243.htm
Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 PM

JL Audio is the way to go. The truck in the pic is mine. They used my truck to make the box and fit it. If you look closely you will see the amps also they are stacked one on top of the other. I have a 450/4 for the 4 speakers on the door and a 500/1 for the subs.
The system cranks.
I also use a clean sweep to keep the stock head.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:47 PM

I can't decide whether to do the JL box with two 10-W6s or a custom one with two 12W6s.

Either way we need Tritont, Stezlaki, and W1cked in the Megacab club! Your trucks are way too cool not to be in there!!

The system I am considering is like the one in the new issue of Truckin' with that red flamed Megacab.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 PM

JL's stealth boxes are top quality, well worth the price. I have the one in my quadcab that replaces the center seat up front
Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 PM

This is my first post, so first off I wanted to say hello to everyone here. I am typing this with a broken arm so it will be short.

I was having the same problem. I could not decide what to do about a stereo.....actually it was the main reason I went with the Mega Cab in the first place (lots of stereo room). Anyway, I custom built a box, which is the best way to maximize the room behind the seats. I went with two Rockford Fosgate T1's, which are a fairly deep sub. Then mounted the amp in between. I wanted to leave the storage tray, so I left all the wires long enough for me to pull the box out then lay it down on it's face to gain access to the storage tray......seemed like the best of both worlds. This spring I will sew a piece of fabric in to cover up the extra wire and what I can only guess is Dodge's attempt to save a penny by not putting a finish on the seat frames. Hope this helps.

E
Attached Thumbnails Subbox for MegaCab-hpim0123.jpg   Subbox for MegaCab-hpim0129.jpg  
Old 02-24-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ecarl357
This is my first post, so first off I wanted to say hello to everyone here. I am typing this with a broken arm so it will be short.

I was having the same problem. I could not decide what to do about a stereo.....actually it was the main reason I went with the Mega Cab in the first place (lots of stereo room). Anyway, I custom built a box, which is the best way to maximize the room behind the seats. I went with two Rockford Fosgate T1's, which are a fairly deep sub. Then mounted the amp in between. I wanted to leave the storage tray, so I left all the wires long enough for me to pull the box out then lay it down on it's face to gain access to the storage tray......seemed like the best of both worlds. This spring I will sew a piece of fabric in to cover up the extra wire and what I can only guess is Dodge's attempt to save a penny by not putting a finish on the seat frames. Hope this helps.

E
E, Welcome to DTR!! Thats a nice looling setup you have!!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:42 PM

E
are those ten's or twelve's???? that is a real nice lookin setup! i have been lookin for pics of systems in megacabs for a long time now to try to get ideas.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 AM

E

Welcome and GREAT SETUP! I have some questions.

Is it setup that so that you can fold the rear seats down and then the whole sub box tilts down as well thus exposing the storage bins?

Do you happen to know (I haven't checked) is you could somehow hount the whole box about 6" off the bottom on the back cab wall so you could open the storage bins and not even touch the sub box?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 AM

Megaboom
The subs are 10" Rockford Fosgate Pro Series T1's, they are a fairly deep sub, but do sound better than the normal run of the mill subs. I was going to go with some JL Audio 12's that I had but they were too deep, and I could not come up with a way to get them to fit.

D.Wiggs
To answer your first question, yes the rear seats fold down like they normally would. Then you can simply lay the box face down and get to the storage bins. I figured I could go that route and just put the stuff in the bins that I need to get to every once in awhile. It is still a little bit of a hassel to get to, but the bins are still there and storage space is storage space.......at least that is my take on it. I guess you have to make some sacrafices if you want the sound quality only a well put together sound system can provide.

For your second question, I was going to do exactly what you were talking about. I was going to build the box on stilts so to speak. The idea was to raise the sub box off the storage bin floor enough to open the storage bin doors. By going this route I would not of had enough air space for the subs, or mounting depth. Therefore it would not work with the subs I was using. I know that there are some shallow mounting depth subs out there, but I don't think they sound as good.

I have been kicking around another idea......
I was thinking about pulling the storage bin out, which would in turn lower the sub box down to the floor of the cab, then mounting the storage bin to the top of the sub box. I could then make everything look nice and neat with a little trim/ woodwork. Just a thought for now, can't do much with my arm in a cast, and right about now it is killing me, so let me know what you think.

Later,
E
Old 02-26-2007, 04:21 PM

WIERD!? I just found this on Google searching for setups. I just got back from the local mobile audio place here in town and ordered this JL box. A friend of mine has 3 of the 13.5" JLs behind the seats in his Mega and cannot fold the seats down as the amps are under there and the box will not allow the recline of the rear either. So I figured this would be the best choice. If not then its going to be something custom.
I will post some pictures of this box when its installed next week sometime. I'm gathering from the JL site that I will lose the storage behind the drivers rear seat?

tmacracin, I think if you want a single sub then a custom enclosure would be best or some sort of center console sub. The JL box pictured has 2 of the 10W-7S which are like $400-something a piece by themselves. This box retails for about $1500 with those in place. I think the console units are half that with a little lower quality sub installed.

W1cked, I'm glad to hear your running a 500.1 to this box as I was a little worried that it wouldn't be enough.

I'm sorry D.Wiggs, I went all Kenwood......... Screen, nav., & camera. I looked at the Alpine and it just didn't scream out to me like the Kenwood, I guess I just have a comfort zone I'm not willing to come out of yet. If this setup has issues I'll give Alpine a try. Just had Kenwood or Eclipse in almost everything I've owned.

Quick Reply: Subbox for MegaCab