3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stock Exhaust Size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Exhaust Size?

On a stock 2006 5.9 cummins, what is the size of the turbo outlet? How about the rest of the stock exhaust?

Tomorrow I undergo surgury...gettin' the cat cut out! . Should be interesting to see the difference. It's a cheap upgrade.

I wonder how much improvement there would be to go from a stock but cat-less system to a 4" cat-back aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM

It is 4" from the turbo out
Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 PM

is it also a 4inch on an early 04?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by adamsmarshall
Yes it is but the early 04 has no cat.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the 305 engines have 3 1/2" exhaust systems. 325 engines have 4" turbo back.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM

early 04 is 3.5" from turbo to muffler (no cat) and then a 4" tailpipe, muffler back. 04.5 and up is 4" from the turbo back w/ cat and muffler
Old 11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If your only loosing the cat you may not notice much. I hear the cat is a pretty good flowing piece. The muffler is more restrictive IMO. That's why mine is gone
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I believe the 305 engines have 3 1/2" exhaust systems. 325 engines have 4" turbo back.
Mine had the 4" from the turbo stock and no cat, maybe it was close to the 04.5 date so they used that, i don't know......
Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM

I'll post tomorrow to let you know how much of a difference. I like doing one thing at a time...the truck is an experiment! I've heard opposite, that the cat is the restrictor in the system. We'll see tomorrow and I'll let everyone know.

After the cat is gone, I've ordered some gauges and will install them. I can then monitor for some of the improvements. I'm excited because the gauges I purchased are PDC (Pretty **** Cool!). I'll take pics at that point and post them...I don't think anyone has done what I am about to do with the gauges. (I went a little crazy)

Also, I think I am going to purchase an ATS manifold tomorrow and install it after I get the gauges, since one of manifold has a tap for an EGT...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome! I'll be keeping an eye on this for the results!!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adamsmarshall
No. 3.5" to the muffler, 4" muffler back.

Originally Posted by DENVERDODGE04
Yes it is but the early 04 has no cat.
Nope

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
If your only loosing the cat you may not notice much. I hear the cat is a pretty good flowing piece. The muffler is more restrictive IMO. That's why mine is gone
Everything I have read says the same. Thou I am missing my Cat and OE Muffler.. Thou I didn't notice a huge difference.

Originally Posted by DENVERDODGE04
Mine had the 4" from the turbo stock and no cat, maybe it was close to the 04.5 date so they used that, i don't know......
If you had a 4" turbo back its either a 04.5 with a 325 and had a cat, or its aftermarket on a early 04. Dodge does/did not make a 4" no cat system.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:33 PM

muffler

I asked this on another thread but this one seems to be more geared toward pipe size. I have 3.5" no cat, would I benefit enough replacing the entire system with 4" to offset the cost difference over just replacing the stock muffler with a good aftermarket?? I'm not after noise, more concerned with payback in performance/efficiency. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrszd
I asked this on another thread but this one seems to be more geared toward pipe size. I have 3.5" no cat, would I benefit enough replacing the entire system with 4" to offset the cost difference over just replacing the stock muffler with a good aftermarket?? I'm not after noise, more concerned with payback in performance/efficiency. Thanks.
You may try to find a 04.5+ 4" exhaust and have a cat delete pipe and different muffler put in.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
I'll post tomorrow to let you know how much of a difference. I like doing one thing at a time...the truck is an experiment! I've heard opposite, that the cat is the restrictor in the system. We'll see tomorrow and I'll let everyone know.

After the cat is gone, I've ordered some gauges and will install them. I can then monitor for some of the improvements. I'm excited because the gauges I purchased are PDC (Pretty **** Cool!). I'll take pics at that point and post them...I don't think anyone has done what I am about to do with the gauges. (I went a little crazy)

Also, I think I am going to purchase an ATS manifold tomorrow and install it after I get the gauges, since one of manifold has a tap for an EGT...
Hey dude! I'm in Edmonton too.
Looking to do the same as you. Heard that also Cat is restrictive - no its not it is the muffler - blah blah... Don't know what to believe!!!
I want quiet performance.. I'm thinking no Cat & 42" Donaldson.
I have a Bully Dog, CAI & Banks High Ram right now.
Also looking at a NADP Tranny.
Am interested in what happens with your unit.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 AM

exhaust

Originally Posted by ah64id
You may try to find a 04.5+ 4" exhaust and have a cat delete pipe and different muffler put in.
Good idea!!! Find someone that's replaced their stock system with an aftermarket and buy their throw aways!!

I like your Avatar. Are you still flying?? I'm Army, Vietnam, Desert Storm, two tours to Iraq.

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust Size?