3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spacers

does anyone know where i can get 1/2 inch dually spacers?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

You have come to the right place. I have more info than you can shake a stick at. I'll post more in a minute.

Alright. First off. I looked for ever for longer wheels studs to replace the factory ones and use a dual wheel spacer that was 1 to 1.5 inches thick. Never did I have any luck finding such a replacement. All the longer studs were bigger in diameter which required drilling out the hub and the wheels. I wasn't going to do that.

Next, the shortest dual wheel spacer that you can use is 1.75 inches. This is becuase you must get the outer wheel out past the end of the factory lugs, yours might be different, but my factory lugs stick out 1.70 inches past the outer surface of the inner wheel when installed.

Next item, hub centric vs. lug centric. The inner wheel centers on the hub, not the lugs. When you install your wheel spacer, it centers on the lugs. This is fine, but the spacer does not have a lip to center the inside bore of the outer wheel. This is because there is now room to put one because of how the hub/axle is made. Next, the outer wheel won't center on the spacer becasue the factory lugs have washers on them and the wheel doesn't have a countersink, or taper, on it.

Now, I have a new set of 1.75 inch spacers for my 2002 1-ton ordered and should get them next week. I have ran 2.5 inch spacers on my truck with the outer wheel not being hub or lug centric and had no balance problems. It is a risk you take, but seems to work. The tolerance of the lug bolts and the rim bolt hole seem to be tight enought that when you mount the outer wheel, it is close enought to not be a problem...at least in my experience.

If you want affordable spacers, call JR at 909 514 0091 10-5 pacific time. He is making me 1.75 inch spacers, 8 on 6.5, 9/16-18 studs and including the extra lug nuts for $90 each. Shipping and all for the two to my door is $205.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything else. I've been researching this for over 6 months now. Amazing how simple it is to want to space out two wheels and that no one really has a good answer for it.....with out modifying the outer rims.

JWB
Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

The only other option that would get you close to using 1.5 inch spacers would be to grind the "threadless" tips off the factory lug studs. You might have to also grind off a thread or two, but you could get close to 1.5. Like I said the factory stick out 1.70 past the first wheel (on my truck), and there is .200 that you can grind off the lugs without losing threads. Just be sure to put a rethreader on the stud before gringing so you can back it off and fix any damage you cause. I just hate to modify anything stock in case I want to go back to orginal.

Does this help?

JWB