3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Timing

Old 09-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by homewrecker
I'm confused as usual with TNT timing.As I read the Smarty timing explanation, timing 2 is advanced and timing 1 is stock.I interpret this as 2 has more timing than 1.Am I reading this wrong

Now you list that with your smaller inj. you use timing 1 and with larger you use timing 2.I'm lost ,someone help!
On the TNT, #2 is the most timing available. Default is the same as #2 on odd settings and the same as #1 on even settings. So setting 1 with small injectors and setting 2 with larger injectors does not make sense.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omaharam
On the TNT, #2 is the most timing available. Default is the same as #2 on odd settings and the same as #1 on even settings. So setting 1 with small injectors and setting 2 with larger injectors does not make sense.
oh, how this is confusing

i would think that #2 is #2, no matter if it is even or odd sw's.
#2 in my assumption has the most timing, and #3 is less than #2, and #4 is less than #3 and of coarse all the timing levels.

an unknown for me is which has more timing; #0 or #2? my guess would be #2, but I've been wrong before.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So which has more timing on TNT?
#1 or
#2?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
So which has more timing on TNT?
#1 or
#2?
#2 -------------------------------
Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
I believe you are wrong here.

#1 has the most advanced timing/or fires the injectors before any other setting. #1 timing is also the same as stock timing. #2 an #3 have progressively less advanced(fire the injectors later) timing than stock (or #1).
#4 has the least advanced timing/or fires the injectors later than any other setting.

Generally speaking (as long as the motor is not knocking) the closer you can get your truck set to #1 the more power and fuel economy it will have.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

the confuesion is ue to the old odd/eaven softwares.
on odd # default is the same as #2, on eaven its the same as #1
BUT, if you run say sw#3 time #1 , what you are realy running is the equivelent to sw#2 on a pre revo software...... cleear as mud?
now, that being said..... " smart timing" has more advance than " stock timing"
timing# 3 is less advanced than #2 for use with larger injectors
timing #4 depends on software. on revo ( revo tnt ) it has the most timing of all for fuel economy. on the race ( tnt-r ) it has less timing than #3 to alow for large dosses of n2o/huge injectors/propane/ mixed druggs/stacked programs etc.

does this make any more sence?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is it 1,2,3,4 from most to least or 2,1,3,4?All I want is the order,no long drawn out explanation.Just give me the numbers from most timing to least.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My understanding from most to least is 1,2,3,4.

1= Standard Smarty timing.
2= less timing for aftermarket injectors.
3= lesser timing for big aftermarket injectors.
4= Least amount for NOS.....
Old 09-21-2008, 12:52 AM

After reading all these posts, I have to reply!

Some of the information in some of the posts by other users is correct. I am not here to step on toes but to give you guys the right information.

The following information is for the TNT tune. The same will be true for the REVO(a bit different on the options though).

As far as the timing goes, here is the jist of it. The smarty as we used to know it will ALWAYS be the default setting in the "adjust options" menu. The even number softwares will have the stock timing (number 1 in the adjust options menu)while the odd numbered softwares will be the advanced timing (number 2 in the adjust options menu).
Now, with the the TNT and the REVO tunes we can adjust not only the power levels, but the desired timing. Now we can make our own choices when it comes to timing and it works in this manner.

Remember that the HP levels with the TNT or TNT-R tune DO NOT follow the older REVO (old smarty program) setting of:
60 w/timing
90 w/timing
and so on........

On the TNT and TNTR; tune #1 and #2 can have a 50, 60, 70, 80 HP difference between each number setting. This is part of the reason for the timing adjusability. As an example, lets say for your truck #3 makes the most power but the timing is too much for the injector. You can go into the adjust options menu and select the timing option you want to be present for all of the software settings. Now I will explain the options for timing.

In the "adjust options menu", we see the following(TNT Tune)

Speed Limiter

Torque managment

Shift defuel

And now our favorite: TIMING

#0-default: All this setting means is that the Smarty will behave like the smarty of old. Odd numbers for added timing (which is equal to number 2 in the adjust options menu), even numbers add no timing (which is equal to number 1 in the adjust options menu). This is again the default setting for the smarty.

#1-Stock. As the name suggests. This option sets ALL of the softwares to run the factory(stock) timing in software numbers 1-9.

#2-Advanced-As the name suggests. This option sets ALL of the softwares to run the advanced timing in software numbers 1-9. This is the most agessive or advanced timing setting in the smarty.

#3-Hugh Aftermarket Injectors-This option sets ALL of the softwares to run the Hugh Aftermarket Injectors timing in software numbers 1-9. As the instructions indicate. The timing here is not as advanced as the #2 setting.

#4-N.O.S-This option sets ALL of the softwares to run the Hugh Aftermarket Injectors timing in software numbers 1-9. As the instructions indicate. The timing here is slight more advanced than the stock (#1) setting.

Lastly:

Rail Pressure

and Wastegate for 05 and up trucks with the electronic acctuator.

What setting is right for you depends on your set-up.

On timing setting....THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY!!!
Stock injectors are fine with the advanced timing setting as well as the stock setting. I will venture to say that up to about 90 hp injectors, maybe 120 your fine. Any injector bigger than 120 HP is big. They require at least stage 2 CP3's or bigger and the #3 setting is good for this application. #4 is self explanitory

I also wanted to add that I do not personally know how much the timing is advanced (degrees before TDC) is in the smarty verses stock. As it has been documented before, do not stack multiple power adders with timing as you will surely melt a piston with too much timing. Always allow only one power adder with stacks to do the timing.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Old 09-21-2008, 01:03 AM

Straight off of MADS page...... I was wrong.

Injection Timing

# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - for stock injectors
# 3 - for aftermarket Injectors ( less advanced than # 2 )
# 4 - for fuel economy ( more timing advance than level # 2 )
Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Straight off of MADS page...... I was wrong.

Injection Timing

# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - for stock injectors
# 3 - for aftermarket Injectors ( less advanced than # 2 )
# 4 - for fuel economy ( more timing advance than level # 2 )
Thats for the REVO tune. The TNT and TNTR tune are different!

Richard
Old 09-21-2008, 01:17 AM

Well here is the Revo TNT docuentation.

Injection Timing:
# 0 - Default
# 1 - Stock
# 2 - for aftermarket injectors
# 3 - for Hugh aftermarket Injectors ( less timing advance than # 2 )
# 4 – for use with NOs ( less timing advance than level # 3 )
The odd numbered SW's ( 1,3,5,7 & 9 ) use the advanced timing and the even numbered SW's ( 2,4,6 & 8 ) use the stock timing.
This is only true if you do not adjust the options! With the Revo you can choose ANY timing you want, no matter if the Catcher you'll
download is odd or even! You CAN, add timing to the software's that have none, or use the stock timing in the odd # ones. Your
pleasure.... By definition for all adjustable options the default is # 2. EXCEPT for the timing. The timing has two defaults. # 1 for the
even numbered SW's ( stock timing ) # 2 for the odd numbered SW ( advanced timing ). To avoid confusion and to help the customer
in returning all levels to default ( if need be ), key # 0 is used to return Smarty back to the default levels. This is most important for
Old 09-21-2008, 09:12 AM
trx

So most to least would be #0,#2 (these are the same) then 3,4, and 1 being the least Is that correct?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Snapoff
I believe you are wrong here.

#1 has the most advanced timing/or fires the injectors before any other setting. #1 timing is also the same as stock timing. #2 an #3 have progressively less advanced(fire the injectors later) timing than stock (or #1).
#4 has the least advanced timing/or fires the injectors later than any other setting.

Generally speaking (as long as the motor is not knocking) the closer you can get your truck set to #1 the more power and fuel economy it will have.
Number 2 is the same as the old 4.11 tune with aftermarket injectors. It is advanced over stock timing, but less than the program for stock injectors. The even numbers would have been stock timing and the odd numbers would have been advanced timing over stock, just less advance because of injectors.
On ALL the old smarty programs, the odd numbers were always more timing than stock. Number 2 on the Revo TNT is NOT retarded timing.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by trx
So most to least would be #0,#2 (these are the same) then 3,4, and 1 being the least Is that correct?
I posted it above...for the tnt tunes the MOST is number 2 with 1 being stock. For numbers 3 and 4 of the tnt tunes, number 3 has less timing than 2, and number 4 has less than 3.

Now for the REVO tunes; They follow the TNT tuning EXCEPT for number 4 which has more timing advance than 2.

When you guys post these questions please be sure to state which smarty tune is the one your running since the confusion seems to be the different timing programs between the TNT and REVO tune.

Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smarty Timing