3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty JR 1st impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only run economy on my Jr. and it smokes. A good haze.
And I get the rattle at idle - it seems the loudest after the truck sat overnight.
Anyway - the Jr. has great throttle response even on the economy - truck is more "driveable". If I don't drive it for a couple of days I don't have to remind myself when to hit the clutch. Just drive it like my car.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 PM

blowin' smoke is just doing a disservice to the rest of us... right when the USA is starting to warm up to diesels, the art of disrespect ruins it for us all...

i liken it to the stunters in the motorcycle world... ugh...

Last edited by John_P; 12-15-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Profanity in post
Old 12-13-2007, 09:01 PM

First Impressions

I finally installed Smarty Jr. I waited until I established a baseline with my pyro before loading SW#1. Here are comments:

1. Downloading was simple and straight forward. I was nervous because I am a mechanical guy (can't see the program). I was able to hear different sounds during the download. I don't know if it was the full pump, heater grid, or what. The program downloaded exactly as described in the manual.

2. The truck feels more responsive. The lag seems to be reduced. It takes less pedal movement to get the truck accelerating. I know this is subjective, but it is definitely noticeable.

3. I didn't notice any smoke.

4. EGTs are the same as stock (at the lower rpms). I haven't tried any WOT runs and probably won't. I don't drive that aggressively.

5. I can't comment on MPG yet. I will keep a log to see if there is any difference.

6. High idle is enabled (cruise control). My stock program didn't have this feature.

I really like how the truck drives now. It should have been like this from the factory. I will try this for several weeks before switching programs.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 PM

OK, my turn.

It was funny to hear all the clicking and whirring when the programming was under way. 2 minutes?... maybe 7-10.

The first thing I noticed was the advanced idle... smoother and louder.

I went straight to 'performance' setting. Guess what? It feels almost exactly like my 2500 Hemi did and was my only complaint about going to the CTD: I now have my touchy throttle back (I love it), great response and the truck just feels more tossable in the twisties with all that power behind it. I'm trying to say the truck feels 2000' lighter. For me it's cake and eat it too. I now have the Hemi gas-like responsiveness that can tow and pull stumps when I need it. It's a hillbilly's dream... and I'm a happy camper...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Im loving mine. I have been running on the economy setting...first tank with smarty today was 540 miles at 17.8mpg..this was with some flogging too. i usually get 16-17 driving the same route conservativley. I am going to try and drive conservative this tank and see if i can break the 18 barrier.

MY clutch slipped on the tow setting...i havent even tried the performance setting yet. I installed a clutch last week and im trying to let it break in before i turn it up again.

I get smoke on demand under 2k rpm....i had to change my driving style for it not to smoke . I guess with the programming it will dump alot more pre boost fuel than stock... I think the auto guys get little smoke because they cant lug it.

I dont know why anyone purposley wants their truck to smoke. The epa is already giving us a hard enough time!!! I do my best to not attract attention to myself.

I think the timing rattle makes it sound like an old mechanical pump cummins or mack e7, i think it sounds nice... I set my Roktech back to 0* with the jr because of the increased timing though.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see a common thread appearing in regard to Smoke

Well I definitely see a common thread between the smoke and non-smoke with Smarty Jr. It seems at this point the auto guys are getting very little to no smoke while the gear slingers are getting smoke whenever they want it under about 2K ...

that sound about right to everyone?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM

thats what i have gathered
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Well I just made it through my first tank of diesel with JR. Great power, smooth, a hand calced mpg increase of 1.8. Lot of smoke when you lug it a little. But man, it is quick to go from 1500 rpm to 2700 rpm. Like it!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 PM

was was your mpg?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM

BTW, I went to the performance level immediately. Not sure I can try the others, this one is too good.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 PM

Was 15.9 overall
Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM

would your truck have the egr on it being a cali. truck?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:22 PM

I don't think any of the late model 5.9s had EGR, even in CA.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 PM

I've got an '03, HO, 6-speed with a Van Aaken C-3.2 (duration-only) box & the "Tone-Ring Mod". I'm thinking of removing the VA & going with a Smarty JR.

What do you guys think about the Tone-Ring Mod? Should I leave it or set it back to stock when using the Smarty JR? I believe the JR adjusts timing, itself, so, would the Tone-Ring Mod be 'too much' timing?

This thread has been interesting, to me, & answered many of my questions. Thanks, a lot!!!

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 12-15-2007, 12:27 PM

Another question?

Levigarrett76 mentioned that his clutch was slipping on the "Tow Mode", which, I believe is the first or second setting (40 or 70 HP). I realize he has a Predator 'stacked' with the Smarty JR.

Is there any possibility that I will be compromizing my stock clutch with just the Smarty JR on the HIGH level (100 HP)?

Thanks.

Joe F.(Buffalo)

Quick Reply: Smarty JR 1st impressions