3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sliverline exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverline exhaust....

well, i'm about to pull the trigger on a 4" turbo-back silverline exhaust. anyone care to try and change my mind? kinda torn between the aluminized and 409 SS versions.($200 price difference) which should i get and why?

darren

Last edited by darrenb; 07-06-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am curious to hear the replies as well. I have seen stainless last one heck of a long time. The aluminized I have seen rust out in a year or so on cars and light trucks. Not saying THIS brand will or wont. I have seen walker and goerlich exhaust rust out in a year or so. I am also curious about the downpipe with and without the turbo elbow? What's that all about? Can I get a larger downpipe for my 03 SO and not have to upgrade my turbo elbow? I'm sure I could call Lary at the DTR store and ask, but there are probably more people with the same or similar questions.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 PM

being in hawaii, i am not too worried about the aluminized rusting out as i had an aluminized magnaflow on my old rig that lasted well over 5 years and still looked good.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM

The rust would probably be the main factor for most of us, being in "northern" states and dealing with road salt, sand, etc... Otherwise, sound may vary a little between them, wouldn't think much though.

$.02
Old 07-06-2007, 02:17 PM

I have had a 6" aluminized Bully Dog set-up and I am now running a 4" dual silverline SS setup. I love the looks of the SS. I would defnitely recommend the SS.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM

I installed the Silverline 4" 409SS a couple weeks ago and love it. Truck was previously straight piped and it was driving me crazy. For the 409SS system shipped to my door was $425.

P.S: What's the best price you have found on the 409SS so far?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
I am curious to hear the replies as well. I have seen stainless last one heck of a long time. The aluminized I have seen rust out in a year or so on cars and light trucks. Not saying THIS brand will or wont. I have seen walker and goerlich exhaust rust out in a year or so. I am also curious about the downpipe with and without the turbo elbow? What's that all about? Can I get a larger downpipe for my 03 SO and not have to upgrade my turbo elbow? I'm sure I could call Lary at the DTR store and ask, but there are probably more people with the same or similar questions.
You need to get the new elbow. Your 03's stock turbo elbow is a 3.5" outlet (your exhaust is 3.5" from turbo outlet to muffler). So to run the larger 4" system, you need to replace the cast outlet with the improved larger version.

on edit..or are the 03 elbows/downpipe 3"....cant remember which now.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 PM

I have the 409SS from silverline on my 03 and the turbo outlet is 3.5 inch ,the flow is greatly Improved from stock just getting rid of stock muffler.The finish on mine after 1 year and being in the salt it has a little rust ,not alot.The sound is the best improvement and install was easy everything lined up perfect.I think you won't have a problem with the small outlet unless you're going for big power,are you getting the slash tip or the straight cut?
Joe
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Ive had the 409 ss for a little over a year and couldnt be happier well stacks would be cool but the look and sound great as for SS or alum depends on the area your from some salt and lots of sand here SS works for me
Old 07-07-2007, 05:45 AM

well i did it! i went for the stainless, only becasue if i went with the aluminum, i would eventually kick myself for not going with the stainless.......c'mon UPS!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:45 AM

anyone got pics of this exhaust installed???..especially a view of the tip????????
Old 07-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Here you go. Also in my user gallery
Attached Thumbnails sliverline  exhaust....-exhaust-3.jpg   sliverline  exhaust....-exhaust-2.jpg   sliverline  exhaust....-exhaust1.jpg  
Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 AM

will adding this exhaust speed up the cool down to 300 degrees before shutting down? i have noticed that it takes a while for my stock truck to return to 300 degrees after a normal unloaded drive. and if the a/c is on, it seems that i cannot reach 300 unless i turn off the a/c first.......a lot longer than my ford took....ford took about 1 mintue as the dodge can take up to 5...all unloaded and easily driven.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 AM

It should help the cool down and the spooling of the turbo.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by darrenb
will adding this exhaust speed up the cool down to 300 degrees before shutting down? i have noticed that it takes a while for my stock truck to return to 300 degrees after a normal unloaded drive. and if the a/c is on, it seems that i cannot reach 300 unless i turn off the a/c first.......a lot longer than my ford took....ford took about 1 mintue as the dodge can take up to 5...all unloaded and easily driven.
I think it helped just a little. Turning your exhaust brake off also helps (if you have one).
After owning these Cummins for the last 6 years, I've come to the conclusion that 350 is an acceptible shut down temp. Like you said, sometimes its almost impossible to get it down to 300.

Quick Reply: sliverline exhaust....