3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Silly Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silly Question

Here's a guestion for all you guys that have added bigger turbos and better injuectors and fuel systems. Have these mods helped you fuel milage in any way.
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

only if i can keep my foot out of it.

some of the aftermarket injectors have produced some improvements in economy. the bigger turbos need more fuel to spool, so generally it goes down.

in my case i lost about 1 mpg after installing the bigger hairdryer.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 PM

I was wondering about that. I have already installed guages and a box and exhaust and I have been thinking about what else to do to get some more millage.(Already planning the intake) So I was just wondering. I've heard that injectors help. Also I heard that trying a boost fooler might be good. I'm kinda wondering about the boost fooler becasue right now I can hit 44psi and I thought 45 was about the most you wanted on a stock trubo.
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 12-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

20k miles of 44 psi on my stock turbo. When i upgraded it, I just happened to look at the original, there is alot of shaft movement, both axially and radially. It was pretty close to commiting suicide.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock turbo is out of its effiecency range long before 44PSI. With my truck putting my twins on along with the fuel system and all the other mods in my signiture did help my fuel millage a little bit...if i keep out of it. But the cost of all these will probably never be canceled out by fuel savings...
Old 12-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

i changed my turbo out only for egt reduction. which it did big time. i didnt do it for mileage or power increase. Just the ability to use the power I have without having to either back out of the pedal or risk engine damage from the excessive egt.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 PM

Smile

Thanks guys. I hardly ever hit 44 usually run around 25-30psi. Thats just the max I've seen. I just use a fuel millage increase to justify the power toys if you know what I mean!!!:
Old 12-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

you can tell her whatever you like about the economy savings to justify your mods.

seriously though. even my wife has noticed the improved economy from stock until now. Last summer we went to cour d alene idaho to the water park. halfway across washington(moses lake) we were on fumes and had to refuel. we were stock except for the pacbrake.

This summer same trip, same trailer made it to cour d alene and then got fuel. she doesnt notice mpg, she sees how often i have to spend $100 to fill up. she commented and asked why we went so much further. I told her all the mods.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:45 PM

Cool thanks. My wife is pretty understanding she let's me get away with just about anything as long as we have the money.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Banned

mine has not been too understanding as of late. maybe the tires, wheels, and turbo i bought on 1 day. followed with the south bend. wait until she finds out i am ordering my smarty this week.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:58 PM

After having all those mods the smile on your face will compensate the money you lose in fuel economy.... It's worth it!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Another question

About how much is a good turbo. New injectors, fuel system. Also what is an upgraded tranny running. I'm pretty sure I don't really want to know but hey I'm interested!!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by mcol
Cool thanks. My wife is pretty understanding she let's me get away with just about anything as long as we have the money.
Now I'm jealous My wife was furious when I drove into the driveway with the new truck... I didn't tell her about the Quad Xzillaraider I bought that day too.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:12 PM

Dyno just let here drive it a couple of times and I bet she'll be smilin after!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 PM

She doesn't know how to drive a stick, and she's afraid to learn. I told her that it's easy in this truck, but she still doesn't want to try.

She's getting over it now, I bought it in July, and she's getting her revenge by spending a lot for Christmas.

Quick Reply: Silly Question