3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Schaeffer 9000 Is Cj4+ Is It Ok In 5.9 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schaeffer 9000 Is Cj4+ Is It Ok In 5.9 ?

Was looking at getting Schaeffer 9000 syn oil for my 07 5.9 that calls for CI 4 or CI 4+ and just found out the Schaeffer 9000 is CJ 4+. Rep says it is the better oil and is backwards compatible - what are ya'lls thoughts on this.??
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

I would get it as I have had good luck with it for a long time.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it is backwards compatible and it will work. You can still buy CI-4+ oil so why not use it as I think holds up better then the new CJ-4 oil. Also with you having a Smarty you need all the extra protection you can get for your engines internal parts.

JMHO
Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM

Just read owner manual again and it only calls for CI 4 and +, but is this just because the CJ4 wasn't out yet or the fact that the printed manuals weren't revised quick enough, or was it only meant for the 6.7 and later engines. It seems the Valvoline Extreme is the only recommended oil by Cummins, but the owners manual says all are ok if it meets there specs, so what is or which one to go with ???
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JOECUMNS
Was looking at getting Schaeffer 9000 syn oil for my 07 5.9 that calls for CI 4 or CI 4+ and just found out the Schaeffer 9000 is CJ 4+. Rep says it is the better oil and is backwards compatible - what are ya'lls thoughts on this.??
I just bought schaeffers 9000 syn for my 05. I have truck drivers run this in there trucks and go 20,000 miles on changes and send off samples and they come back normal. They also claim better mileage!!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the new oils are backward compatible- but like stated earlier- the new oils don't seem to hold up as long.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM

Ive been schaeffers syn for 4 years now. It holds up better then any other oil i have used.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read owner manual again and it only calls for CI 4 and +, but is this just because the CJ4 wasn't out yet or the fact that the printed manuals weren't revised quick enough, or was it only meant for the 6.7 and later engines. It seems the Valvoline Extreme is the only recommended oil by Cummins, but the owners manual says all are ok if it meets there specs, so what is or which one to go with ???
The reason we now have CJ-4 oil is because of the new 6.7 engine has a DPF and CI-4+ oil would cause problems and may plug up the filter. BTW, its cheaper for the oil company's to only make one oil not 2. Any quality CI-4+ oil will work in your engine like Delo 400, Mobil Delvac, Valvoline and Schaeffer's for dino oil and Amsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line for synthetic oil.

JMHO
Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM

Did I read this correctly? Shaeffers 9000 is a CJ-4?. I was on another thread and was of the understanding it still was CI-4. I just bought the new Redline diesel synthetic...Too bad its CJ-4 too. Does anybody know of any Synthetic that is truly CI-4
Old 08-06-2008, 04:36 PM

I have been useing the schaeffers supreme 9000 5W-40 for the last 35,000 miles(2-3years) in my 2004 with the fleetguard stratafore oil filter and have had excellant oil reports from blackstone labs.IMHO schaffers is hard to beat.On my box of oil it states CI 4 and CJ 4 on the outside.Do some research over at this website www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM

The Schaeffer 9000 is a CJ oil for a little over a year now.
Im on my last cases of CI4 +.
I use it in everthing I own.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 PM

My local oil distributor has bulk CI Delo 400 and gladly fills 5 gal pales for me at a very good price. I was told a lot of the fleets arround here use it. Check with your local distributor.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Buy all the old CI you can get.
From what I have read the CJ like mentioned above has been modified so as to not clog up the after treatment system on the new diesels.

The ingredient removed from the oil is ZDDP if I remember correctly which is a wear inhibitor.
I would advise running an oil additive containing ZDDP or similar additive product to bring the oil back up to snuff (Lucas oil stabilizer, STP oil additive etc.).
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Buy all the old CI you can get.
From what I have read the CJ like mentioned above has been modified so as to not clog up the after treatment system on the new diesels.

The ingredient removed from the oil is ZDDP if I remember correctly which is a wear inhibitor.
I would advise running an oil additive containing ZDDP or similar additive product to bring the oil back up to snuff (Lucas oil stabilizer, STP oil additive etc.).
This is inaccurate info...
Yes, ZDDP has been REDUCED. It has not been "removed" from the oils. Use of oil additives is not necessary, the oil companies formulate their oils to work as they should without the end user having to add anything extra. Furthermore, CJ4 oils are now being formulated with more ashless antiwear chemistry, thus putting back if you will, any amount of antiwear additives that were lowered.
The oil companies have lowered ZDDP, TBN, amd ash levels in CJ4, but they have also changed the chemistry to accomodate even better wear protection to combat increased soot in the oil. CJ4 has also shown to have its TBN depleted slower when using ULSD, which should always be run when using a CJ4 oil to take advantage of the longest possible intervals.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM

I believe the Amsoil 15w-40 synthetic remains CI-4, CI-4+ with all the good additives, while the Amsoil 5w-40 synthetic is intended for the trucks with the particulate filters and carries the appropriate CJ rating. The CJ oil is backward compatible, and the CI oil "officially" is not forward compatible with the new emission controlled trucks. Since synthetic oil is not as volatile as conventional oil, the synthetic CI oil may work fine in the newer trucks since it will do a better job of retaining it's additives, however, I understand the testing organizations don't consider the volatility difference. In summary, if you have a new truck that requires the CJ rating why take a chance on using a CI, if you have a truck that calls for CI then use it if you can find it. I would rather use a synthetic CI than a synthetic CJ.

Quick Reply: Schaeffer 9000 Is Cj4+ Is It Ok In 5.9 ?