3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Safari rack and snorkel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari rack and snorkel.

I have decided thats the route I want to take with the Dodge. Kind if a Safari type truck if you will with all the neccessary recovery tools and what not to survive on my own for a few days if need be it. Where can I find a safari rack for a reg. cab pick up? And a snorkel would be nice to. I am also the type to really use this stuff so if it is out there, I need the best! The driving lights, high lift, jerry cans and spare would look and function good on the safari rack I do think. Maybe not the spare, but everything else at least?

What other suggestions do you have for this "theme" if you will.

I may also put a snug top topper on it. You know, the one that doesnt have side windows and matches the body line of the cab. What do you guys think???

Dang it!!! I thought I was in the accessories and after market forum!!! Please relocate this post for me one of you fine moderators that we have here. Thank you and I appologize
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM

this look?

i have been thinking about some of your other thoughts also.

I have the hilift under the back seat, thinking about the jerry cans also. Thinking about a rack top of the back. I may build it my self.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
give it a white black zebra paint scheme lmao. How about a winch, with front and rear bumpers, road armor maybe?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 PM

nriver,

A few Q's for ya...

First off, I really like the bumper you have on there, is that the Buckstop? Do you have any other photos from additional angles? How do you like it?

Also, are those 35's you are running (just trying to get an idea of the bumper on what size tires)?

Can you also fill me in on the gas cap cover you have?

Nice looking truck nriver.

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:39 PM

Some replys

First off, I really like the bumper you have on there, is that the Buckstop?
YES

Do you have any other photos from additional angles?
There are some in my Gallerie, If you want more , just let me know what angle.

How do you like it?
I think it is great. It folows the lines of the hood and grill perfect, imho. some people have complained of rock chips in the powder coating, rocks will chip any paint.

Also, are those 35's you are running?
The black wheels have 37s
The satin and or polished aluminums ones are 35s

Can you also fill me in on the gas cap cover you have?
It is from AMI. I did the powdercoating my self. If you look close the door handles are done as well.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks nriver (a tad new here, so thanks for the direction to the galleries).

BTW, is it me or do Trail Ready and Buckstop's front and rear bumpers look remarkably similar? Is one a supplier for the other?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by PASSMORE
BTW, is it me or do Trail Ready and Buckstop's front and rear bumpers look remarkably similar? Is one a supplier for the other?
yes they do, never noticed that before. I think I need a new rear bumper. Or just get mine done in black.

I have also been looking at these two products to hold more stuff

http://tiregate.com/

http://www.rat-cage.com/

although, I am thinking I can make something myself to do what I need.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 PM

I really, really like the tire gate stuff - looks to be a well thought out product and the different variations really offer some neat mount points for a gas can/Hi-lift.

I would pick one up, however I need to se how i will utilize the camper shell that is due to be completed next week (may rig it to mount gear on top - not sure quite yet). Also, I hope to mounting my 35 spare in the factory space (I understand it fits from some other posters on this board).
Old 09-04-2006, 08:54 PM

- sorry for the continued hijack Dmax Etr...

nriver - what are your thoughts on those steps? My 4x4 shop here really likes them and is pushing them. Me? I am not so sure and leaning toward something frame mounted and not dependant on a door opening or electricity? How do you like them and how robust are they?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Nriver, Thats is deffinatly the theme I want to go with. I am gonna go with the Ranch Hands front and back, I topper on the back. Whats the word on that one? Who makes it or did I miss it in one of the other replys on this post? I thing the spare mounted overhead would look nice with the regular cab. Theres a Stupid dooty running around here similar to your truck and he has the spare mounted on top. I just need links to the safari rack and snorkel or to know if anyone makes them? should I start work on my own snorkel?

That truck looks great anyway you look at it though but I want more
Old 09-05-2006, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget to leave room in the bed for the .50 cal tripod (AA style)
Old 09-05-2006, 09:40 AM

Passmore, the steps are great. I have had them for 2 years with no issues or thoughts of them not holding the weight. Im 230 and have had two people on them at the same time. No problems. The thing I realy like about them is they are completley out of the way off road, jsut come out when you need them. I am not sure how I would get in and out of the truck now. I also like the hidden look, not a big fan of tube steps. Check out TexasCTDs steps, those are cool for another option. Still tucked up by the cab.

you can see where they are here

DmaxEter, http://can-back.com/ makes the top. At least they did. I have had it for 7 years or so. It came off my 99 CTD. It fit this good enough. Back when I bought it they said the top with stainless bars could hold 400 lbs. I have been thinking about a rack on top for the tire, jack, shovel.... but cant find one I like for under 2K. So thought I would make one my self, not sure.
As far as the company they were bought by another company and have changed the design a bit, I am sure for the better. They dont claim the 400 lbs any more. They do have a stainless option, think it would hold more. I could use a new canvas top, it has seen better days as it comes to rain protection. If water sits on the top it will seep through. I could of taken care of it better I am sure.

I would also consider 2 spare tires if you are going for multiple days in the rough.

XLR8R, there are seats in the back for a full squad and rocket launchers, LOL. It sure ended up looking like a urban assault vehicle. Not the original plan, but I like it. I also just put on some chrome wheels, changed the look again.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PASSMORE

................ Me? I am not so sure and leaning toward something frame mounted and not dependant on a door opening or electricity?...........

Michael.....you might try looking here at some RanchHand Side Steps.

http://www.ranchhand.com/steps.htm

I have these on my truck (pics in the gallery) and they are strong as an ox. I prefer the look of none, but since steps are needed I like these better than tubes.