3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rockittboy..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok...soooo what would be a good lift to concider?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:01 PM

I know this will get me in trouble...but I can't resist!

Will that lift you will design come with the "falling out spring" design that your 1500 has?

There are better lifts...and there are far worse. The buyer should exactley know what he is getting.

Skyjacker? Have you ever heard about there 2nd Gen stories? I really don't have any opinion about there 3rd Gen stuff...I have no experience with it.
Skyjacker Shocks???

Btw...are you really expecting a 245hp/450tq increase from the Hot Juice/EZ Stack with a stock fuel system and turbo out of that truck? Must be the elevation...or lack of dyno time.

IF you are looking for all out performance...bolt on kit....

2.5" to 3" Kore, Carli, Thuren, Lorenz etc

4.5" to 6" pick and choose your parts. Tuff, Bilsteen, and some of my own fabrication was best for ME.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's obvious you have a bone or two to pick with me, because you cannot seem to stay on topic.

The spring falling out of my other Dodge was simply due to too much travel in the rest of the suspension. That was an easy fix. Next time, I will make sure that I have your approval before I put together a suspension. I'm sure that your armchair engineering is much more sophisticated than my real-world experience. How many different lifts have you actually installed on Dodge trucks?

I was not aware that my CTD had a stock fuel system. Please forgive me for arrogantly claiming nowhere in this thread or others that I am aware of how much horsepower and torque I gained by stacking those chips and running the FASS 150 gph setup. I don't have access to a dyno... hell, it was only a few years ago when we got electricity here in Arkansas! Seriously though, once I have access to a dyno, I will let everybody know how good or bad my numbers are. I'm not out to impress anybody. The only figures I have to go from are what the manufacturers state. I have very little knowledge about building diesels for performance, and that is why you don't see me getting in thread telling people how wrong they are for buying this, or saying that this particular box doesn't work, etc... kind of like what you are doing with suspension stuff. You come right out and claim that you have little to no experience with most lifts, yet you want to try and tell me how good of a lift Tuff Country makes?
It seems to me like "somebody" had a few too many Edit for breakfast this morning. Lighten up, it's the Internet. You are too much like this guy.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad

Explain to me why the spacer is bad? There are no side loads on the spacer...A 6" lift does not add 6" of travel. Maybe you out to go read up on shock travel and the take a tape measure out and check how much possible travel can be had with original shock towers...then aftermarket ones...then the set back of shock body clearance while flexing ect. Some people keep trying to make these trucks into something they are not.

If the spacer is well designed...it is not different that moving the spring cup down. What's bad with that? You don't need a longer spring for travel purposes...if the shock is what limits the travel anyways. Actually...travel is really hampered on these trucks by binding between the control arms, track bar, and sway bars before the shocks even play a factor...let alone springs. Anyone that has at least installed their own "level" kit...let alone full suspension system should know that.
This is just wrong in so many ways, I wouldn't know where to begin.....for starters, there's at least 10" of travel, if not more in the OEM CA's, track bar and sway bar. Did your Tuff kit come with limiting straps? No, the shocks are what limits suspension droop, not the CA's, TB or SB. Next you DO need a longer spring for more travel. A spring spacer doesn't increase the travel, it only increases the ride height. And the force is not straight up and down all the time, there is a lateral load placed on it when the axle is off camber. Maybe not much, but I'd rather not run the risk of spitting a spacer out the side during an off camber landing.

The bottom line is the Tuff Country kit is just like any other off the shelf kit, be it SJ, Rancho, Stupidlift, whatever. They're like a body lift for the suspension, all they do is increase the ride height. Kinda like the lifted DMax I saw the other day, 8" lift, 37" tires, 4" travel Fox shocks, and I couldn't get a finger in between the upper OR lower bump stops.

Call DJ's truck what you want, I know the suspension is purpose built, and I've seen what he does with it. It works.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

Hate to jump in here and side with somebody, but I'm gonna stand on DJ's side. I'm not saying that Tuff Country is absolute junk, but I myself have never had very good luck with them nor have other people I know.

Every suspension has there has there own flaws, but it always comes down to the ol' saying you get what you pay for. Using a 2" or 3" coil spacer to gain a couple inches isn't a bad idea, but when you sell a whole KIT for anything larger than 3" using a spring spacer is just idiotic in my opinion. Not only is it retarded but freaking ugly in my opinion. Plus I can just see somebody slamming into something and breaking the bolts off in the ENOURMOUS spacer and your whole front end falling apart. At least with a lift spring it's seated just like factory the way it's supposed to be.

And I don't know what the deal is with all the bashing you are doing to DJ but that ain't very cool man............he obviously has some knowledge about suspensions and has his preferences..........you have yours....he has his.....I have mine........enough said so how about everybody just drop it and get back to the original point of this thread.......

~Nick
Old 03-02-2006, 06:06 PM

I dont have ANY experience with dodge lifts but do have TONS of experience with Jeep lifts and have installed plenty of them from many different manufactueres including tuff country. The quality of the tuff country lift was by far the worst. I would never ever put one on ANY vehicle I own. Their crap is like comparing cardboard to metal. And this may also be a little off topic, but, I have seen a tuff county control arms fail on a jeep while out in the middle of nowhere. The places we goin our jeeps, you cant afford to have parts fail or youll never get home.

Oh yeah, and 6 inch Coil spacers? Are you people crazy? On a truck that weights more then 7000lbs? Id love to see somebody doing 75MPH down the highway and see one of them puppies to fail and live to tell the story...
Old 03-02-2006, 09:53 PM

EXACTLY why i took mine off.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:13 PM

Oh yeah, and 6 inch Coil spacers? Are you people crazy? On a truck that weights more then 7000lbs? Id love to see somebody doing 75MPH down the highway and see one of them puppies to fail and live to tell the story...
Its even better when they put spacers on the top and bottom of the springs like some of the show queens i've seen!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 PM

Wow....the masses have spoken. Glad that's settled