3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Removal of muffler in PA, legal or illegal? (and BHAF link please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removal of muffler in PA, legal or illegal? (and BHAF link please)

Well, since I see enough of posts on the forum on removal of the muffler I may be considering that as my first step in modifications, along with a BHAF mod (is there any link on how to perform?).

Reason is, looking for a couple more mpg on the fuel-o-meter in the anticipation of rising costs of fuel, so along with this also looking to spend as little cash on the upgrades to accomodate better fuel consumption.

I read on some posts the BHAF and straight pipe yield 2+/- mpg. Over a 30 gallon of fuel that is 60 more miles of range, or about 5-6 bucks. So in 10 tanks of fuel the mods may pay off if I "do it myself".
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM

I think most of our inspection stations will check for the muffler. And I don't think they're gonna buy that " our turbo is a muffler" stuff.

You might want to PM MD500E (Kevin) over on TDR. He lives near me, and I believe he is straight-piped. Then again, he has his truck registered in Delaware, so never mind. Bottom line - some inspection stations may ignore it, but any dealer will not.

My opinion. Any other PA residents want to chime in?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Chapter President

Well, when I had my 2000 registered in PA, I never got checked for muffler because we were emissions exempt. This was from Jarrett Dodge in Hatboro, PA. I assume it's the same for all of us up to the 04.5's. But, then again, maybe now since Dodge decided to choke the Cummins with a cat on the 600's & 610's, we may all get a little more thorough examination . I could tell you they never had an issue with my VA box, K&N filtercharger, gauges, etc. on my old 2nd gen.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I beleive you are right about most of our inspection stations frowning on a straight pipe with no muffler.

But, I have seen some post from members who are running a straight pipe with a straight thru dummy muffler.

That might fly in PA do a search and see what you can find, or maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:42 PM

I live in Somerset county Pa. We just started emisions, but just visial. I dont believe they can do anything about the muff. but keep your cat on or res. My 99 was str. pipe had a little problem, but after checking the books he passed it. Just didnt want to get himself in trouble. Unless your county is differant you should be ok. Check the books or call. Hope you can put up with the noise!!!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 AM

PA inspection procedure

Originally posted by wexman
I think most of our inspection stations will check for the muffler. And I don't think they're gonna buy that " our turbo is a muffler" stuff.

Here is what the Inspection Procedure is for PA. I have had some people tell me that any mods to the exhaust is illegal, but as long as it has a muffler and doesn't leak you can probably get it passed. My corvette has a dual exhaust on it instead of the original 2-1-2 system. Luckily it qualifies for an emission exemption because all the equipment is gone

PA Inspection Procedure

(6) Inspect exhaust system and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The vehicle has no muffler or muffler has external repair.

(ii) There are loose or leaking joints.

(iii) There are holes, cracks or leaking seams in exhaust system.

(iv) There is a muffler cutout or similar device.

(v) Part of the exhaust system passes through the occupant compartment.

(vi) The elements are not securely fastened with proper clamps and hangers.

(vii) The exposed exhaust system does not have adequate heat shield or protective system.

(viii) The exhaust does not discharge to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed
Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 AM

By the book! you should have your muffler on!
By my book! Harleys cruise around all day with no mulffler and my Dodge is a heck of a lot quieter! Read below the sound dB are listed! should be no louder than 92 dB's

§ 175.75. Exhaust systems.
(a) Condition of exhaust system. All components of the exhaust system shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Exhaust system requirements. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or a passenger, in addition to requirements of this title for an emission control system and smoke control for a diesel-powered vehicle.

(1) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair.

(2) The exhaust system of a vehicle may not be modified in a manner which will amplify or increase noise emitted by the motor of a vehicle above the maximum level permitted by Chapter 157 (relating to established sound levels).

(3) Headers and side exhaust are permitted if the vehicle meets the requirements of this section.

(4) An exposed exhaust system shall be equipped with an adequate heat shield or protective system.

(5) An exhaust system shall extend and discharge completely to the outside edge of the vehicle body, including a truck bed, or as originally designed.

(6) A firefighting vehicle is exempt from regulations concerning exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.

soft site hard site
35 mph
or less Above
35 mph 35 mph
or less Above
35 mph
(1) Any motor vehicle with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle. 86 90 88 92
(2) Any motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle. 82 86 84 88
3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicles. 76 82 78 84
Old 03-29-2005, 06:22 AM

(1) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a muffler or "other effective noise-suppressing system" in good working order and in constant operation. A muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device and a muffler may not show evidence of external repair.
Was talking to a guy who works at Catapillar. In most states a "other effective noise-suppressing system" can be a turbocharger. Is there a definition or list of items for what fits as this in PA? I also see it states that as long as the db is not more than 92. That is pretty loud.

(1) Any motor vehicle with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle. 86 90 88 92
What are the exemptions for this...items 86 90 88 and 92?

I agree with you on drag piped harleys. I live close to a local dealer and during the summer I get tired of hearing them reving to 5000rpm though my quiet town. And you are right...a straight piped dodge is quieter.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:32 AM

I live close to a local dealer and during the summer I get tired of hearing them reving to 5000rpm though my quiet town
Where are you located, by the way? Near Valley Forge Park?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:04 PM

Orwigsburg PA. But you may have seen me in and around Valley Forge.

I get down that way to enjoy the trails a couple to few times a month
Old 03-29-2005, 01:20 PM

One option is the "Sneaker Series" muffler if you just need to pass a visual. Its a straight pipe encased in a muffler. http://www.protintnw.com/sa_dodge-exh.htm
Old 03-29-2005, 02:35 PM

If you take it to the dealer or a chain type garage (Midas, Meineke etc...) they're gonna bust your *****. Take it to your local small town shop or a garage that you're familiar with and you shouldn't have a problem. Usually your location is a factor also. The more rural you are the more likely the garage is to overlook certain things. I'm between Allentown and Easton and have no problems with my straight piped exhaust.

ChuCk
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM

QC

Funny, I am in allentown every tues/thursday.

Is your rig black or some shade of a white/gray? I had a QC dually pass me one night in one of those two colors. Of course the rig was salty, but noticably louder than mine.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Hummin,

Mines a Patriot blue QC dually. Nothing fancy except a Weathguard tool box and big chrome trucker girls on the mud flaps. Oh yeah, a TDR grill badge and sticker on the rear bumper. I'm usually on 78 Thursday morning and afternoon and 22 in the evening. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

ChuCk