3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Racing Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY6.6
With having to let off to shift and droppin boost because of it I really doubt that a manaul trans will be as quick as auto. Autos have a huge advantage on the drag strip IMHO. I would be .4 to .5 faster if I had the Allison. I was launching boosted in 4th gear 4wd to get the time in my sig. That being said giver heck! Drag racing is fun. Anybody can just mash the throttle and hold the wheel straight! It takes talent to do it with three pedals and both hands flying around like crazy!

I agree with the whole boost equation, but through my trials when i shift @ WOT my boost is 27-30 psi, by the time i am back on the throttle, my boost slipped to 19-20, then is back upto 27-30 as soon as i tough the throttle.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:55 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JOHNBOY

How did you get a boosted launch?

Leavin in 4th sounds awsome, when the new DDs get done so I can order one and I get a few more goodies I may have to try that one, 13.3 is a good time for a 6spd.

Ever try leavin in 3rd?

Hows that ZF 6 holdin up for ya?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ramtd02
I agree with the whole boost equation, but through my trials when i shift @ WOT my boost is 27-30 psi, by the time i am back on the throttle, my boost slipped to 19-20, then is back upto 27-30 as soon as i tough the throttle.
That is really close to what I see for boost on my data logs. The problem is your still out of the power. Where in a auto it is to the floor. But you may have better luck with the G56. The one I test drove was really smooth and fast. Much nicer than any NV4500, NV5600, or ZF6 I have driven.

Originally Posted by wap
JOHNBOY

How did you get a boosted launch?

Leavin in 4th sounds awsome, when the new DDs get done so I can order one and I get a few more goodies I may have to try that one, 13.3 is a good time for a 6spd.

Ever try leavin in 3rd?

Hows that ZF 6 holdin up for ya?
A lot people ask that question. With three feet! What I do is pull up and stage. Then heel-toe the brakes and throttle pedals. Bring the rpms up to around 3000. As the lights start to come down ease out the clutch. Make sure your still holding the brake hard. By slipping the clutch I can build about 20psi of boost. When the last light goes yellow slide your foot of the brake and floor the throttle. Hang on the first 60' feet is wild! I would not try this unless you have a clutch that is ceramic, feramic, or, sintered iron.

I have launched in third the same way. But saving that one shift was good for about .05 and 2mph. As far as I know (which I could be very wrong) there is only one stock motor, stock turbo, just tuning, and clutch truck quicker than me. He ran 13.14 @ 102mph He has a regular cab longbed. Mine is a crewcab long bed.

I had a crazy Idea at work the other night. I am thinking of installing two line locks. One for the front and one for the rear. That way I can stage, press the brakes hard, set locks, work just clutch and throttle. I would put the line lock switch on the shifter. When the goes green let off the button and away you go!

The ZF is holding up just fine so far. 80k miles sledpulls, 1/4 mile passes, and everyday wear and tear. Forth gear synco is getting rough put fresh fluid really helped that.

That new SBC Dual Disk spring hub setup should be great for the track.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:58 PM
wap

JOHNBOY

Good info, I have thought of usin a line lock as well but really just for the front, not the rear, thats a new idea on me.

I have never heard of the clutch you are runnin, how does it compare to a SBC, as far as material, plate load, etc?

Let me know about the line lock, I am interested in doin one on my front end, a 4 tire burn out would be pretty sweet, especially when I aint killin my rear brakes.

also where are you located?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:15 PM

He says he has a NADP race tranny, that thing shouldn't break!! I cant wait too hit the track this summer with my handshaker, i need too prove a to a few ppl that if you shift properly that these g56's can be as fast as an auto with similar mods!!
I've had 6speeds and raced them I would rather drive one anyday over a auto. But you will never find a stick truck with the same mod's run with an good auto trust me been there done that it will always be at least .5 slower. A buddy of mine has a new mega cab with the g56 we've put 2 box's on the truck thats it and it runs 13.4's and 13.5's all night long with him driving or me. Oh ya and my tranny has been out 2 times now tq mangment got it both times.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:18 PM
wap

Chris
Can you tell us what 2 boxes?

What kind of trans did you say you ran?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:35 PM

Get rid of the tst and go with a good downloader and kept your mp8, Nadp tranny tq mang got it both times.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:39 PM
wap

Im thinkin keep the tst and mp8 and get a good downloader (smarty or crazy larry, havent decided yet) and see what that gets me, but as usual Im waitin on a clutch befor that.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:02 PM

The clutch is billet steel flywheel and floater plate. Disks are Crower sintered iron pulling disks. I am not sure what pressure plate load is. But it is high. It is a strapped floater plate style setup like a Haisley clutch. As far as I know he only makes them for the GMs. Which is kind of a shame because it works really well. It works great for sled pulling , racing towing and everyday driving. It is grabby but not like some ceramic singles I have driven. The only bad thing is the pedal is pretty stiff, but it works and that is what is important.

I thought of twin line locks because I don't think just the fronts will hold at 20psi of boost. I really have push hard on the brake pedal to hold it still.

I did notice I did not fill out my locatio. I live in Saegertown, PA. About 30 miles south of Lake Erie right off I-79

Originally Posted by wap
JOHNBOY

Good info, I have thought of usin a line lock as well but really just for the front, not the rear, thats a new idea on me.

I have never heard of the clutch you are runnin, how does it compare to a SBC, as far as material, plate load, etc?

Let me know about the line lock, I am interested in doin one on my front end, a 4 tire burn out would be pretty sweet, especially when I aint killin my rear brakes.

also where are you located?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:13 PM
wap

Id like to see the ol dmax run but thats a bit of drive for me.

I thought sintered iron wasnt really for daily drivers, just pullin.
I know my way around a clutch BUT the DD stuff is new to me so I am tryin to learn all I can.

If Peter's springloaded clutches use the same standard as the ones now I am lookin at gettin a 3600 12cb ceramic, or possibley the 3250, but the 3250 is organic wich I think would be great for daily drivin but I would hate to slip it once I can make it to the track. My dilema is that I haul livestock pretty often and it is hard to get a clutch that will hold 5-600hp that is somewhat pleasant to drive and wont throw the cows, horses or what ever I am haulin down.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:35 PM

I have heard the sintered iron is not for street thing to. But I think that depends on the compound of sintered iron. I have towed with it. I towed my gooseneck with two cars on thru Chicago. My wife took it to NY to get a horse for her parents. I have over 10k miles on it. Works good. I am in the power range you posted. I really think your thinking correctly about the 3600 12cb ceramic. I have driven a Duramax with a SBC DD ceramic. It was grabbier than I liked. But with the spring hubs in the new clutch I bet it will be a great set-up. I really think Peter has a great thing going with this new set-up,

Originally Posted by wap
Id like to see the ol dmax run but thats a bit of drive for me.

I thought sintered iron wasnt really for daily drivers, just pullin.
I know my way around a clutch BUT the DD stuff is new to me so I am tryin to learn all I can.

If Peter's springloaded clutches use the same standard as the ones now I am lookin at gettin a 3600 12cb ceramic, or possibley the 3250, but the 3250 is organic wich I think would be great for daily drivin but I would hate to slip it once I can make it to the track. My dilema is that I haul livestock pretty often and it is hard to get a clutch that will hold 5-600hp that is somewhat pleasant to drive and wont throw the cows, horses or what ever I am haulin down.

Last edited by JOHNBOY6.6; 12-23-2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: content
Old 12-23-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Blevins
Oh ya and my tranny has been out 2 times now tq mangment got it both times.
What did the tq managment do to your tranny? What exactly did it break?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:10 AM

Don't really know what it did to the inside but when you put it in park and it goes foward and reverse was gone also went foward in reverse and in neutral lol. Then I snapped a shaft on the other one coming out of the hole the bad thing deal was I tore the side of the bed off trying to load it.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:58 AM

Ouch, the first problem I have seen before in a tranny when it gets air in a system,, they dont last long,, but that other one, really sucks

Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 05:29 AM

Say what,..

He says he has a NADP race tranny, that thing shouldn't break!! I cant wait too hit the track this summer with my handshaker, i need too prove a to a few ppl that if you shift properly that these g56's can be as fast as an auto with similar mods!!
No way,.. no can do!!

Quick Reply: Racing Help Please