3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Questions about intalling EGT probe

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about installing EGT probe

Hey guys, long time replier, first time poster, and now I have a question. I just bought an Edge Juice with Attitude, and this being my first performance upgrade, I have been contemplating as to how I should install the EGT probe. I know half recommend removing/taping off the turbo input, others say to just tap the exhaust slowly while the truck is running, and to use some grease to catch the extra metal particles. So here is my question: If I go the second route, isn't the turbo bypassed by the wastegate when the truck is in park? So doesn't that mean that any metal particles I miss would just go thru to the exhaust?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:55 PM

Each pic has instructions, read the first one for sure. I know it's been done alot, but just some info for ya
http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/CMS3-...ugeinstall.htm
Old 07-30-2007, 05:58 PM

I tapped it while it was off. If you tap it while running, you run the risk of getting a chunk in there and then there is nothing you can do about it. I broke the tap off on mine and got lucky that i didnt do it running. You can always use a magnet and some steel to fish out the shavings....
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM

Drilled without motor running then used a magnet to fish out shavings, no problems.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drilled and tapped with motor not running used grease on tap and magnet afterwards
Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by kawiram
Each pic has instructions, read the first one for sure. I know it's been done alot, but just some info for ya
http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/CMS3-...ugeinstall.htm
Is a thermocoupling the same as the pyrometer. I was instructed by Bullydog, on the Dodge install to put it after the turbo. Is this not the best place.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM

They are both OK to do, but if you put it in the exhaust manifold, pre-turbo, it gives a more accurate reading.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe the BD thermocouple isn't rated for the higher temps of in the manifold? I've heard some horror stories ( could just be stories too) about the thermocouple melting off and taking the turbo out.

As for the install, I vote for doing it running. I taped up the exhaust pipe at the tail and only left a small opening. Then drilled it running, and tapped it running. No problems either. You will get opinions either way, but after reading Quadzilla's instructions, that is how they reccomend doing it, so I figured they would know!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by CLeger67
Is a thermocoupling the same as the pyrometer. I was instructed by Bullydog, on the Dodge install to put it after the turbo. Is this not the best place.
yeah a pyro is only a thermocouple in a metal shield.

BD might not have a metal shield to with stand the heat from the engine just make sure you add about 200 deg to the gauge read out.

as for the drilling and tapping process i have done mine twice i have one tapped in the first three cyl and one in the back three cly. i did one running and one not running did both with grease in the tap and drill bit and had no problems either time. just if you do it running wear safety glasses and a glove gets a little warm
Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the responses! I think I am just going to take my time and do it with the engine off, and try to keep as many metal shavings out of the exhaust as I can.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:21 PM

I did it with the truck off, and used a shop-vac after both the drilling and tapping. Once done with the vac, used a pencil magnet and spent a good 5-7min fishing around everywhere in the manifold looking for shavings and when it came up empty I fired it up and let it idle with the hole open for 2-3min then shut it off anf put some anti-sieze on the threads of the pyro and put it in and fired it up again and checked for leaks. This was 2000mi ago and no problems so far....
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BgBlkTrk
So doesn't that mean that any metal particles I miss would just go thru to the exhaust?
Yes, as long as you don't build any boost the shavings will go out the exhaust. Just drill slowly and don't "punch" through until you are on the drill bit that will make the final hole. Before you go through clean the surrounding area and then grease the bit for the last little bit of material. Once that's doen grease the tap flutes and tap the hole backing the tap out a thread for each 2 threads cut. You will be just fine.

Either pic is a great place.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 PM

We did mine with it off, but would have done it running....either way......some guys will wet their britches at the thought of doing it running. They just need to calm down.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

You can also take your air intake off and spin the fins on your turbo to ensure if any metal fell on it they would come off.. Obviously you wouldn't have the truck running though!!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 PM

i had a viper/diesel tech at the dealer drill both of my probes, one being for the Autometer gauge and later on one for the Juice/Attitude gauge. he did it with the truck running and it didnt take too long.