3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Question for Smarty Jr. & BDTD users?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Smarty Jr. & BDTD users?

About 2 years ago I got the BDTD "Try Before You Buy" installed. I was happy so I purchased a BDTD and asked the dealer if it was OK to start using the programmer before the "Try Before You Buy" expired. He said it would be fine. I have returned the truck several times to stock and have not really felt much difference between stock and the other tunes, except for the smoke. I just recently had my truck in the shop for some warranty work so I returned it to stock and when I was installing the BDTD again I noticed that the first screen said "Erasing Bully Dog"and then it installed the tunes. Do you think it could be possible that the programmer thinks that the stock tune is still the "Try Before you Buy Tune"? I would like to get a Smarty Jr, but I have read other posts that said that in the past people had the BDTD and then tryed other programmers and they hurt the computers. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Might want to PM Bob Wagner to get his opinion....
Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
Might want to PM Bob Wagner to get his opinion....
Thanks, I P.M.ed Bob. Any other ideas? Somebody that is using the BDTD, when you are going from stock to programs does the first screen say "Erasing Bully Dog" or something else?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:05 PM

I did the try before you buy and then ran the triple dog for awhile. When I loaded the triple dog for the first time it said erasing triple dog and then it updated to the tune I choose and there was no big deal. I now run smarty jr and have downloaded it to the truck and havent really had any problems, the download went fine and I am able to run it. By the way the smarty JR in performance walks all over bully dog triple dog in extreme, and bdtd has a claimed 140hp on extreme. You wont be dissapointed.