3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for Don M

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Flux's

I asked the question in the pressure thread, but I really would like to hear what people have to say about it. I understand the stock injectors are not as resistant to increased pressure. Does better filtration increase the reliability of the stockers to handle more pressure? Are Flux injectors still vulnerable to pressure increases, or am I ok to run high pressure more frequently, or maybe all the time through my F2's and 2 mic filtration.

It has recently been said that it is bad to cruise a 20K PSI, what if I see 20K cruising without adding pressure? It is common for me to see 18-20K cruising at around 65-75MPH without the P box on.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM

2 micron filteration is going to help the injectors, stock injector bodies aren't meant for high rail pressures in excess of 26.5k psi for extended periods. Changing the nozzels dosen't change anything as far as allowing more pressure as one is still using the stock bodies.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SpLaT
2 micron filteration is going to help the injectors, stock injector bodies aren't meant for high rail pressures in excess of 26.5k psi for extended periods. Changing the nozzels dosen't change anything as far as allowing more pressure as one is still using the stock bodies.
I realize this. But the question was meant to get more information about DonM's Flux injectors and how resistant to pressure they are.

Are the Flux's more pressure resistant and will they stand up to running increased pressure for longer periods than the stockers?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Muted User

The tips yes, but the bodies are now the weakest link and nobody makes aftermarket injector bodies (that I've ever heard of)
Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 PM

Don just made a post on another thread, and basically he said that NO ONE should be cruising down the freeway at 20+kpsi. The injector bodies just don't take it long term.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM

From what I get out of this is.
Injectors on 2004.5 & up are on the edge of design limits from the factory.
Without added pressure & moderate acceleration I'm seeing 20000 freeway driving empty.
I'm not happy about the latest news that Don has delivered.
But he wouldn't say it if it wasn't so.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont like the high pressure of the 04.5 and up engine. It is right at 1400 bar, and it is within the specs of the design, but it does wear out injectors faster than the 03-04 engines did. I see the newer injectors failing faster than the older ones and there are 2 differences between them: Pressure curves and 1 extra injection event on the 04.5 and up.

As far as nozzles go: You wont get any additional life from the Flux nozzles for the 04.5 and up, but they have been doing exceptional in the 03-04.

Filtration: The smaller the particles in the fuel, the slower the damage will be to the seat as fuel leaks by or as it passes by it normally when the injector is firing and the ball is off its seat. So, a lower micron rating filter makes since to me.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Don M
I dont like the high pressure of the 04.5 and up engine. It is right at 1400 bar, and it is within the specs of the design, but it does wear out injectors faster than the 03-04 engines did. I see the newer injectors failing faster than the older ones and there are 2 differences between them: Pressure curves and 1 extra injection event on the 04.5 and up.

As far as nozzles go: You wont get any additional life from the Flux nozzles for the 04.5 and up, but they have been doing exceptional in the 03-04.

Filtration: The smaller the particles in the fuel, the slower the damage will be to the seat as fuel leaks by or as it passes by it normally when the injector is firing and the ball is off its seat. So, a lower micron rating filter makes since to me.
I was hoping there were some design enhancements that you did to the bodies to make them more suitable for higher pressures and to make them more durable for high performance driving. Do you alter the stock bodies at all, or do you just rebuild them with new stock parts and add a your modified tips.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Justice4all
I was hoping there were some design enhancements that you did to the bodies to make them more suitable for higher pressures and to make them more durable for high performance driving. Do you alter the stock bodies at all, or do you just rebuild them with new stock parts and add a your modified tips.

No, we dont modify the stock bodies at all. Everything is left stock or stock replacements used. We have some testing of mods in the works, but if anyone knows me...they know it takes months before we release anything. Unfortunanatly the mods wont do a thing for cracked injector bodies. That will remain a problem.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 AM

I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy business day/night to respond to injector questions,. It's great to learn what you've seen on third gen injectors with us. Don't want to start a which additive is better or worse war, but really curious like a cat what you have found about two stoke oil usage.Any evidence of it under the high cr pressure gumming up valve bodies? Thanks Don
Old 03-28-2008, 04:21 AM

Don
I'm just throwing stuff out there ,
Have you ever looked into heat treating the bodies?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM
DTR Advertiser

I believe the 2 stroke oil was conceived for additional lubrication purposes and it may help, but it wont address pressure damage, etc. It may help scuffing.

Doug, I have been thinking about the same thing, but I am concerned about dimensional changes during that process.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM

So are the injectors bodies differant from an early 04 to 06?.....and i also have a set of injectors from a common rail marine engine, is there a differance in them?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by doug60
Don
I'm just throwing stuff out there ,
Have you ever looked into heat treating the bodies?
or maybe some cryogenics freezing treatment???
might be worth a try???
Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 PM

or maybe some cryogenics freezing treatment???
might be worth a try???

This is true. If someone could make a body that would reliably withstand higher pressures constantly, either by treatment or upgraded materials, they would really have something.

Quick Reply: Question for Don M