3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quadzilla Xzt Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the unit Friday and noticed no problems. On Sat. going down the road under light load and constant throttle it started out feeling like a tire out of balance and got alittle worse. Nail the go pedal and it pulls smooth and hard. I like the little amount of smoke in the top end. This morning the a/c was off and the truck in neutral. It had a skip while idling and perfect ryhm like it was the same cylinder but misfiring every 3-4 revolution.

I will also try the dielectric grease since I have cases of it here at work.
The only problem I had after install was a P0193 and removed the connectors and reinstalled them. CEL went off and everything was fine............Problem maybe related to excessive amount of rain over the last few days.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by buntina
I'm haveing the same problem. Just installed the box three days ago. It ran fine the first day. The second day it was idling real rough. The third day when I went to make a connor at slow speed it shut down, no power-steering! Started right up and was running rough. Unplugged and installed original wiring and everything worked fine. Has to be the box or the Quad wiring. I will try the dielectric grease and see what happens.

Art
There is only one reason it would die and this has happened to several people. Make sure that the 12pin connector to the box is fully plugged in and snapped. If you don't do this it can loose power to the box and cause problems. You would not be the first to have that happen. It is mainly our fault as we made the hole too tight around the connector. On the new mold it has a much larger opening, but it will be a month before those cases are used at all. Just make dang sure it is all connected together good. A loose connection can drive you nuts.

Also everyone needs to remember that if they think, or know they are having an issue place the module where you can see the LED. When you have an issue watch the led and tell us what it does. This will make sure we diagnose the problem on teh first call to tech.

I would say 99% of glitches or issues are because a connector or a plug was not seated fully. The rest of the problems have been wire. The electronics almost never fail.

Quad
Old 07-18-2005, 03:07 PM

Quad was right. I just came back from a run after putting the dielectric grease in all the female connectors. Worked fine no problems. Will see what happens in the next few days and post again. I'm in Florida and the humidity is high.

Art
Old 07-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Just a thought Quad. If you put the LED on top of the module instead of on the front it would be so much easier to see the light while driving.

Art
Old 07-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Yes, we know. We did screw that up a little. But the important part is that we do have an LED and we can troubleshoot with it.

Hind sight is 20/20. Newer products will put more emphasis on ease of troubleshooting.

As far as I know we are the only ones that use the LED like we do, so it will only get better from here.

Quad
Old 07-18-2005, 04:25 PM

I like an honest man and company that learns from their mistakes, in my opinion will have an edge. Pun intended !

Thanks Quad,

Art
Old 07-18-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by qzilla
Yes, we know. We did screw that up a little. But the important part is that we do have an LED and we can troubleshoot with it.

Hind sight is 20/20. Newer products will put more emphasis on ease of troubleshooting.

As far as I know we are the only ones that use the LED like we do, so it will only get better from here.

Quad
Quad,
I would like to see the LED get moved to the switch. that way we can hide the box..

Just mho
Old 07-18-2005, 09:12 PM

i have one question on the towing box that nobody has given me an answer to,,,,how much boost are you guys seeing with only the box on,no intake or exhaust mods,just box on totally stock 600`s??ive got the plastic cooler and have concerns while towing on boost...................thanks alot,bama
Old 07-18-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by bama
i have one question on the towing box that nobody has given me an answer to,,,,how much boost are you guys seeing with only the box on,no intake or exhaust mods,just box on totally stock 600`s??ive got the plastic cooler and have concerns while towing on boost...................thanks alot,bama
i have the quad towing box .. i have a cold air intake but my exhuast is stock .. i too have been concerned about the bosst it seems to make !! at wot mine can make about 43psi .. i have commented on this several times .. but nobody seems to have an answer for me !! i am thinking that is a bit much !! and that is with the 65 hp box !! what will the bigger hp boxes give you !!!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 PM

I have the XZT box and until yesterday, only an AFE drop in filter and have had zero problems so far with 42-43psi ('05 610 truck). The most that I have pulled to date is just over 9k lbs on a 1300 mile trip. So far, so good.

<--- Knocking on wood
Old 07-18-2005, 10:18 PM

question for quad,,,,,,is it really helping anything to run at those high of boost levels?isnt the turbo out of its effective range there?ive heard lots of opinions on boost levels and ive always just adjusted up until it seemed to not keep up with cooling the egt`s.my little hy on my 02 seemed happiest at about 36-38 lbs,lots of people said that was too high and wouldnt help egt`s,but thats where it held on the best with them.so is there any way to let the gate open a little sooner,or are you just keeping it from opening at all??thanks......bama
Old 07-18-2005, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by bama
question for quad,,,,,,is it really helping anything to run at those high of boost levels?isnt the turbo out of its effective range there?ive heard lots of opinions on boost levels and ive always just adjusted up until it seemed to not keep up with cooling the egt`s.my little hy on my 02 seemed happiest at about 36-38 lbs,lots of people said that was too high and wouldnt help egt`s,but thats where it held on the best with them.so is there any way to let the gate open a little sooner,or are you just keeping it from opening at all??thanks......bama

We can set the wastegate to open whenever we want. The reason we let it go ahead and run up is because our testing showed that the egt's were considerably better when under a load.

Depending on the truck, air quality, altitude and load you should see between 38-43psi of boost. When we sense more load we let it go further, in the first few gears it should be less and as you build load on the engine the boost should rise.

The turbo is getting out of its efficiency range much over about 42psi. I am not a turbo guru, but we just saw the egt's were better in real world towing applications.

I have a plastic intercooler on my truck and we have ran over 50psi through it without breaking. I fully expect to bust it at somepoint now that we are testing deeper waters. I only know of a couple of intercooler failures when running our box. I guess it depends on how often you are at that boost level or the quality of the plastic piece you got? I also know of a couple of stock trucks that broke the intercoolers, so its anyones guess.

The gate is opening at 40psi. We have run over 55psi out of that turbo, but not with the fueling that is currenty available through our products.

I guess we could do a lower boost flash, but I am not sure we would gain anything unless it just gave you more piece of mind?

If you want to try it send me your box and tell me where you want the boost and I will send it back to you.

Quad
Old 07-19-2005, 06:32 AM

I tried the greese on the connectors and I had the same results. My LED is red while running and never flickers even when the problem starts. I have rechecked the connectors many times and they are in right and seated. The second box that Quad sent me has plenty of clearence all around the connector.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:00 PM

thanks for the explanation quad,,i actually dont even have a box yet ,,,,,,,good to see all your tech support on the boards,every vendor should be as supportive as you appear to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bama
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 PM

I got my quad xzt last week and noticed right away that it surges from time to time. But I haven't had time to mess with it. I think the boost pressure I see at about 43-45 psi is good for my particular application because all I do is tow. I notice a huge difference in egt's when the boost is above 30 psi. If you do a little experiment as I see all day. Let the trans shift into a gear that you know it will hold without downshifting Say at 65mph. And put it to the floor. You will notice the boost will be low since the engine is running quite slow the egt's will be very high now drop a few mph and do it again You will see the egt go to a certain point then the boost kicks in when it downshifts and actually cools off the egt. The only gauge that I worry about is the trans now. I put the mag-hytech double deep pan on and sender in the pan and if in traffic I can see temps creeping toward 210 that Makes me nervous.... Whew breathe

Quick Reply: Quadzilla Xzt Box