3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WYODSL

I wish you would help spread your knowledge to the thread starter since you own a diesel shop he could prolly learn alot from you as well as the rest of us, let him know why he should get smarty above all others on his truck and answer some other performance questions he has asked in this thread......you should be the one that could help this guy the most sounds like you have a good background. I'm sure he would appreciate it. Thanks bud
WELL SAID bro!!! I would really appreciate all the info I can get! Im NOT sure on what programmer to go with I really want to be able to adjust it on the fly instead of just a hand held! My local performance shop is telling me Edge by far!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Edge is good, but not better. You have to be careful with local performance shops, they will push what they sell. Most of them don't know any statistics behind them, or any usable info on competing products.

I know you're having a hard time deciding, but we can't make this decision for you...honestly you need to go out and make your own opinion and try them both. Our opinions are as biased as they can get, the Smarty and Bullydog are both great power adders, you just have to see what you like and what your looking for.

Technically you can get either the Smarty or BullyDog adjustable on the fly.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Freestyle
WELL SAID bro!!! I would really appreciate all the info I can get! Im NOT sure on what programmer to go with I really want to be able to adjust it on the fly instead of just a hand held! My local performance shop is telling me Edge by far!!!
Honestly man the reason that most performance shops push edge is they can set up safety parameters for their customers that way there not breaking there truck and bringing it back to them blaming them for it......i cant say i blame them for it...but like rip said thier not always fourthright in what the are selling....

I had edge and it works great especially with the hot unlock and on your truck you will dyno close to 500hp and over 900 torque with that set up alone you can also set up your safety features to defuel your truck and protect your engine, however the edge runs very HOT well atleast it did on my truck. but thats nothin a turbo or turbos cant solve but it does run hotter then other modules out there.

My vote would be for smarty or bully dog PMT I have ran them both and they both do well with that said you will NEVER have a problem with edge either. each one of these performance tools will get you to 500hp if not it will be close especially on your truck.

However there are 2 must haves with runnin these power upgrades especially to there fullest. 1.) tranny mods or clutch......2.) fuel system like air dog or fass i am partial to air dog and i think rip might be as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Bullydog= more mph in the 1/4 mile in auto pulls way harder in auto or manual trans on the big end great highway tuning. More hp on the dyno!! This is using 2.4.d in 06-07 trucks
Smarty= way better low end in the 1/4. .3 tenths off just 60' alone but kinda falls off on the big end defueling. But smarty imo also runs alot smoother the the bullydog but doesnt dyno as much as 2.4.d
To each his own
Highway and dyno your cup of tea= bullydog 2.4.d on 06-07 trucks
Drag racing and smooth running truck= smarty
Old 08-02-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanx im really looking more for fuel mileage but if I need to drag someone I can ya know!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 AM

Yeah ok now I am wanting the smarty and didnt someone mention that with the Smarty you can adjust it on the fly???
Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 AM

Ya smarty offers the power on demand version now you still have all the catche softwares etc. but you can adjust each catcher percentage power out put from 1%-99% output of that sw catcher. Hasn't really worked right on my truck though.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breedsrt
Ya smarty offers the power on demand version now you still have all the catche softwares etc. but you can adjust each catcher percentage power out put from 1%-99% output of that sw catcher. Hasn't really worked right on my truck though.
Well you might want to mention it here on the forums. I haven't seen any that I can remember that have had problems with the POD, but that may be because no one has mentioned it. Or I haven't looked hard enough...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM

I can be on catcher #9 and set it to 99% and the truck runs great like it should or has with previous smarty or other tuners. I can plug it in and 50% it or 75% it just for instance and the truck runs worse then stock like its in valet mode almost like limp mode sluggish with no boost and transmission shifts and gear hunts like u wouldnt believe, but no codes you turn it right back up to 99% and it runs great again. I havent played with it much due to other issues with the truck in the past few weeks but there is an issue there.