3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which Programmer for '03 - mostly towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Programmer for '03 - mostly towing

Hey guys......just purchased an '03 3500 dually....wondering what would be the a good programmer for low end/midrange power.

Truck will spend a lot of its life towing. From what i've read, i need a box that will do timing & some fueling...is that correct?

I know the Smarty Jr seems to be preferred around here, just wondering if i have any other options (XZT, BD, Diablo)

The truck WILL NOT be modded further as its my work vehicle. I have pyro/boost/fp sitting right here beside me ready to go on, just need to buy a pod

Any input would be great

-Carm
Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 AM
tcr

Get the Smarty senior, your options will be endless and you'll never out grow it.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by tcr
Get the Smarty senior, your options will be endless and you'll never out grow it.
Believe me i will not be outgrowing anything.....this truck wont be raced or anything like that. The T/A fullfills all that excitement.

I just need something that will be strong at low & midrange for getting heavy loads in the trailers moving...im a landscape contractor

-Carm
Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the Diablo Predator is still the best bang for the buck for the 03s. It doesn't have much for bells and whistles but if you don't want all that foofoo, you don't have to pay for it. The programmer for Diablo has an 03 HO so he put a lot of tlc into the tunes. Their towing tune is super conservative but I think the 100 hp tune is perfect for towing - I only hit 1225 egt. One big reason I picked the Pred is cuz the 100 tune is also the economy tune. And the Extreme tune is a riot - I think I laughed in my sleep the night after I played with the Extreme tune ! Craig
Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 AM

I have the edge juice with attuide with the hot unlock code and turbo timmer. Ilove it too.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tt433
I have the edge juice with attuide with the hot unlock code and turbo timmer. Ilove it too.
by all the reading on here the smarty sounds pretty sweet ...but i have run the juice with attitude stacked and un stacked with the quadzilla box.. and it is a very smooth trouble free box .. it has been on my truck over 2 years and i have had zero problems ... plus all the built in safety features the juice has ..

Good luck
Old 03-23-2008, 12:51 PM

I would have to look into something that wasn't a downloader, if your pulling heavy and your not going to mod the tranny I would probably look into something like the MP-8 or the Quad box... That way when you take off (if your really heavy) you can dial it down a little, but after rolling along and the convertor is locked-up you can add alittle more power to keep it from shifting gears...

If the weather gets bad you can dial it down to keep it from spinning..

Also if you get into some big hills, you can just keep it on the floor and dial back the power if the EGT's get too high...

I am sure others won't agree, but I just don't like the non-adjustibility of the downloaders.. most times you need more power, but some times you need less...
Old 03-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Diablo is a great tool for the money!! Install the program and enjoy.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would choose Smarty or Diablo, mainly Smarty for the constant updating and customer service on the forums.

Get you some gauges too.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM

I have guages......now will the Diablo "Boost fool" as well?

As for the transmission, im sure once it goes south, i will upgrade it & do what is necessary to make it live with the work i do (TC, VB)

-Carm
Old 03-23-2008, 04:05 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
i had a edge attitude before, i also ran a Van Aken stacked with the BD. the Smarty has yeilded about the same mileage, a hair better than the Edge did and i much happier with the lighter amount of smoke. the monitor was nice but i did the indash gauge mount and have no regrets.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stroked-Z

As for the transmission, im sure once it goes south, i will upgrade it & do what is necessary to make it live with the work i do (TC, VB)

-Carm
the predator will not boost fool. i have an 05 and my wastegate is controlled electronically so a boost fooler was my answer. on the 03's i think you need to modify the wastegate slightly and you may still need the fooler, but its worth it. just search around on here, theres threads that explain how to do it. i think its pretty easy to do. hope this helps
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stroked-Z

-Carm
You will need a boost elbow to allow for higher boost, and possibly a fooler for any overboost codes. I have the Smarty so I didn't have to worry about the boost fooling.

On the transmission, I would call dave Goerand or any other transmission companies and talk to them specifically about what you want. They will be able to make it happen.