3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Exhaust

Hey guys I want to get a aftermarket exhaust for my 3500 cummins, but I don't want the loud drone going down the highway pulling a load. What do you guys recommend?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM

"Donaldson" mufflers are pretty popular. Good sound but not too loud. You might look into "Hushpower" too. These are just muffler suggestions. You could add these to any aftermarket exhaust system as long as the pipe diameter is the same.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Corsa. Its a great exhaust, very well made and straight through. Corsa guarantees there will be no drone and I can tell you they kept their word.

The muffler uses what Corsa calls reflective sound cancellation. The muffler is a straight through 4" pipe in a case, there are a couple inch wide slots in the front and back of the muffler that lead to a labyrinth to do the cancellation stuff. The muffler is pretty heavy, a lot heavier than I expected for its size.

I didn't like the odd oval tip they supply so I used my old MBRP tip. One of the best parts about the Corsa exhaust is that it exits in the same fashion and position as stock.

The only bad thing about the Corsa kit is the price. I got mine from Thoroughbred Diesel, they were about the best I found.

You can get the muffler without buying the whole system if you want to go that way. It'll certainly outflow the stock muffler and sound a whole lot better.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Undertaker
Hey guys I want to get a aftermarket exhaust for my 3500 cummins, but I don't want the loud drone going down the highway pulling a load. What do you guys recommend?

Fill in your signature so we know what you've got.

Unless you're doing a new aftermarket exhaust for looks like lotsa people do you're wasting your money unless you're making 600HP orf more.
All you really need to do is change the muffler for a 4" straight through one like a Donaldson or Nelson. My 40" Nelson cost $67 at my local Cummins store, (pics in my gallery) put the money you saved into other goodies for your truck.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM

If I do just go with an aftermarket muffler. How long do I need to get so I hooks up exactly as the stock muffler? How long is a stock muffler?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM

I REALLY like Flo-Pro exhaust systems. They provide a great sound and no restrictions that would hinder your truck. On top of that they are VERY reasonable on their price. A whole turbo back kit usually runs around $400 or LESS. Also if you're looking just for a muffler I got one the other day from my exhaust guy by a company called Wicked Mufflers. Its a 3 piece straight through chambered muffler. It quieted down my stacks nicely and didnt make any kind of rise in my EGTs .
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM

If I do just go with an aftermarket muffler. How long do I need to get so I hooks up exactly as the stock muffler? How long is a stock muffler?
Why not just go out and measure it?
I used 45* bends to make up the offset with my 40" Nelson:

Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Looks good!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a magnaflow pro 4" turbo back on my truck. It is very loud under accelleration with the camper in tow but mellows out in overdrive to a nice rumble. Running at 65-70mph towing, it is the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard without wearing you out on long trips.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM

On my 2005 I have a 4" Silverline turboback dual system. It is down right abnoxious. I have been told I can be heard on a still night about 2 miles away.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 AM

Does anyone have a MBRP cat back dual exhaust on there truck? If so how do you like it?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM

On my 2005 I have a 4" Silverline turboback dual system. It is down right abnoxious. I have been told I can be heard on a still night about 2 miles away.
Does anyone have a MBRP cat back dual exhaust on there truck? If so how do you like it?
I had an MBRP on my truck and DID NOT LIKE IT. The next dual exhaust I had was one by Flo-Pro. I loved it. My exhaust temps were awesome and the noise wasn't bad at all. In fact it was the quietest inside the cab exhaust I have EVER had on my truck. In fact if you want I can sell you my old one. Its all still in great shape and has tips that go from 4-6'" on it that were black chrome and the chrome started to peal so I just painted them black.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 PM

What didn't you like about the MBRP?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 AM

Does anybody have or know the link to the thread that has a red truck with a donaldson 40"r on it? the link went to a youtube clip that was sortof like MOV_323 and I cannot find it to save a carbon foot print.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 AM

I have a MBRP from cat back and like it. Nice deep sound but not to loud.

Quick Reply: Performance Exhaust