3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pacbrake, before I pull the trigger, question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacbrake, before I pull the trigger, question

Ok, so I am going to put a pacbrake on my 04.5 3500. My question is am I better off getting a separate air compressor, or just go with the pacbrake one? If I go with another I would like the ability to use it to fill tires and maybe for airbags in the future. What brands would you recommend?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
In order to boost my ability to be obnoxious, I'm thinking of getting some Nathan train horns from Horn Blasters...Their site lists several tank sizes and compressor choices...I'll probably pick their largest tank and twin pumps just for the overkill factor...

Then I'll have all the capability I need for a Pacbrake and airbags for the rear......Ben
Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM

I have the pacbrake PRXB, it came with a 30% duty cycle compressor and a 1/2 gallon tank. To fill tires or even add air it doesn't cut it, can be done, but takes a long long time. I keeping saying I need/should upgrade to a 100% duty cycle compressor and at least a 2 gal tank. Although right now I have my airbags connected to it and it works fine. It works great just for the EB, anything else, upgrade is recommend.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pieced mine together cuz I wasn't about to mount the PB compressor on the engine. I got a Viair 350c (100% duty cycle) compressor online for $165. I got the inline PRXB and control kit from healdworks.com. Pacbrake makes different kits and Chuck Heald will sell you as much or as little as you want. I made the tank out of 4" cpvc and end caps - about 1.4 gal. I've been reading that Airlift has wireless controls, now, and everyone is very happy with them. I build incab controls for the bags and rancho 9000s. Wireless would have saved building the manifold/gauges/valves. Craig
Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 PM

c schomer,

Thanks! Your post is the type of info I am looking for. I will look into the viair kits.

How big of one do you think I would need for what I want? Wireless controls, do you mean operated by your cell phone? What are they controling? You will have to excuse me because I am not a techy or a mechanical guy.

Thanks
Ubet
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM

ok, would this air kit work http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/20001.html ? Do I need this heavy of a duty one, or would one like this work http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/10005.html?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM

The one I want to upgrade to is the first one you posted. On the second one the compressor is only 33% duty cycle. First one is 100% duty cycle which means you can run it continuously.

Duty Cycle Reference Guide

Duty Cycle @ 100 psi and 22°C Max. Run Time / Min. Rest Time
10% Duty Cycle 3 Minutes ON / 27 minutes OFF
15% Duty Cycle 6 Minutes ON / 34 minutes OFF
20% Duty Cycle 8 Minutes ON / 32 minutes OFF
25% Duty Cycle 10 Minutes ON / 30 minutes OFF
30% Duty Cycle 13 Minutes ON / 30 minutes OFF
33% Duty Cycle 15 Minutes ON / 30 minutes OFF
100% Duty Cycle Continuous Duty @ 100 psi @ 22°C
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the first one - big compressor and 100% duty cycle. I haven't seen them but I would do a search on airlift and check out their wireless control for their bags. It must eliminate a lot of wiring and plumbing inside the cab. I got the bare PRXB and control kit from heald. The control kit had all the wiring, relay, solenoid, tubing and instruction I needed - nothing was wasted. The instructions will show how to wire the controls thru the ecm. Then I added my own on/off switch on my 6 spd stick cuz I didn't want a dash switch. You should be set with that viair kit and the individual parts from a pacbrake dealer. You shouldn't need any other stuff til you add bags or ??? Then the wireless stuff would be nice. Craig
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Looks, like I will get the first one. The quote I got for a prxb C40111 without air, plus the first air kit I posted, would be the same price as the prxb with the air kit.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 AM

I am going to be around Billings, Mt and Waldon, Co this summer. Who around there would you guys recommend to install it?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Well, I am ordering the viair 20001 with the prxb right now, am pretty excited to get this all installed. Been dealing with David Kelley at diesel-max.com, he has been great to deal with, answered all my many questions.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
In order to boost my ability to be obnoxious, I'm thinking of getting some Nathan train horns from Horn Blasters...Their site lists several tank sizes and compressor choices...I'll probably pick their largest tank and twin pumps just for the overkill factor...

Then I'll have all the capability I need for a Pacbrake and airbags for the rear......Ben
I have twin Viair 480's on a 10 gallon tank. I run my Airchime K3 with a Graham White valve and can get plenty of noise from that 10 gallon tank.

I can tell you that having a train horn is nice when someone cuts you off while pulling a heavy load. Besides that it is a pain in the butt because everyone wants to blow the dang thing. I have to keep my truck locked wherever I go. People think it is just AWESOME to blow that horn, but when the cops come calling, who are they looking for?

I have had complete strangers tell me my truck and horn are just fabulous. I ask how they know I have a horn, and they say someone heard it and saw the truck, then they told someone, and they told someone..... I live in the sticks, but everyone for 50 miles knows I have a train horn and I've maybe blown it 10 times in public. It gets attention.

Heck, I was in Michigan and blew my horn at a group of people outside a bar we were partying at and one of them said I have only heard a horn like that in southern Wisconsin, and I said that's where I'm from!!! Sure enough....

I think I have the only train horn in the state.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Lake
I have twin Viair 480's on a 10 gallon tank. I run my Airchime K3 with a Graham White valve and can get plenty of noise from that 10 gallon tank.
Thanks, that's useful intel......Ben
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM

Update, well I have had it installed for 2 weeks now and man, is it worth the money. The only problem I have is the solenoid doesn't have the power to shut the brake off if the compressor is full. I have to manually shut the compressor off before it fills. It was defenitly worth the $1900 for everything including the install.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Tied to PacBrake suspension?

UBet,
did you tie in the Viair to your suspension and your pacBrake system?

Quick Reply: Pacbrake, before I pull the trigger, question