3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

P pumped 3rd gen. ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P pumped 3rd gen. ???

I've been having APPS problems with only 62K on the truck and I have next to zero patience for unreliable electronics. I got rid of my 2 most recent cars (GM's) because of their terrible electronics. I had a 97 215hp CTD and I did all my own pump work and it ran every bit as good as this 03 and passed emmissions with ease. I've read about p pumped 3rd gens and drooled but I never got into the specifics. Now I'm ready. Would this be a good change for a daily driver/street/towing truck. The obvious things that jump out at me are the front cover/housing to accept the p pump and it would probably be easier to use the later 12v PS pump for a cleaner looking install. What about the injectors and lines? Are there injectors that work with a P pump that go in the 3rd gen head? What about cruise control and all the other electronics. Can anyone give me some insight? Am I crazy? I used to get a lot of help from Joe Donnelly and Mark Chappell. It might be time to call them again! Craig
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it has been done before but I think people mainly do it for pulling. I think you need ft gear case, pump all lines, 12v injectors, high psi lift pump. Not sure on the head or how they adapt 12v injectors to 3rd gen head. You might want to do some searching on comp d. I know a lot of them are running with it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM

Yeh, I knew the pullers and racers have been doing it for a while but they probably don't care if they loose cruise control, stock gauges and all the other functions you want in a street vehicle. I'll do some searching. Craig
Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Just buy a new APPS from Timbo $160.00. My truck never behaved so perfectly, as it does now after his unit, even resolved some shifting issues.
Google "Timbo's APPS".
EDIT: Sorry, I see you have a manual.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM

If you dont like electronics I dont think this is for you. There will most likley be gremlins to work out. it will most likely use 24 valve injectors as they should fit in the head and work with the connector tubes.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM

I made some calls today and it looks like the p pumps are used on the early 24v cuz they still use a gear case that will accept a p pump. Nobody knew of a p pump on a cr and I'm not that much of a pioneer. Mark Chappell was the last guy I called and he makes the apps like Tims. $9 more than Tims but Mark will take it back if it doesn't fix it. Mark has helped me out seceral times so I gave him the business. He's a great guy! After checking for worn looms, cleaning up several ground connections and increasing the size of one of the ground wires and then doing the apps reset this weekend, things improved a little. I drove it today and the idle speed went up to about 1200 a few times but power was good and no codes, for a change. Easy acceleration, just above idle, when it was cold this morning was a little jerky. I hope that goes away with the new apps. I've been thinking and I believe the apps has been showing sights of failing for nearly a year. Sometimes the e brake won't come on - the ecm won't close that circuit if there is any fueling. Sometimes the driveline jerking at low speed is uncontrollable - I hope that's from a bad apps, too. Craig
Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM

It has been done before here is a site that offers conversions-

http://www.phdperformance.com/conversion.html
Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks! That was even in the $$ range I was expecting til I saw the pump isn't included!