3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Next Gen. Commander

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Next Gen. Commander

I love the beta Commander I have, but I can see some things for the next generation after the full fledged version comes out. Feel free to add to the list.

A mileage mode: Activates during cruising by dropping a level or two when you hit a hill otherwise it could be left on high while cruising, especially while towing. I have tried to tune down the settings while cruising with a trailer and it would kind of work, to have it drop at low enough temp and boost it would drop too the power too far.

Flip capable buttons: I installed mine just beside the A-Pillar, the problem is I have to reach across my steering wheel with my right hand to adjust it. If it could be set up so the monitor could be flipped the other way up and the screen still work so the buttons could be used on the other side would be handy.

More to come.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:23 PM

Any ideas when the production version will be out? I would like to see some pics of the commander mounted. The photos on Quads Website do not show it mounted in a truck. The "stalk" that it will mount on looks a bit too "light duty" but it could be just perception in the photos. TIA
Old 06-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by nwjetboat
Any ideas when the production version will be out? I would like to see some pics of the commander mounted. The photos on Quads Website do not show it mounted in a truck. The "stalk" that it will mount on looks a bit too "light duty" but it could be just perception in the photos. TIA
They are slowly starting to trickle out, I can start taking orders on them when ever you are ready.

Here is a new picture;

Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
They are slowly starting to trickle out, I can start taking orders on them when ever you are ready.

Here is a new picture;

Lary,

I'd like to order one. I'll call you in the morning. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 AM

This is one of the beta units.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 AM

looks like a depth finder to me....

All it does is monitor just like gauges????
Old 06-02-2006, 07:32 AM

monitors up to 7 seperate paramaters, displays up to 4, warm up mode, defuel capability, alerts, control 2 modules at the same time, usb capable, and data logging capabilities.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:47 AM

I installed my Commander this past weekend. The install was pretty straight forward and went well. Two problems though, the directions did not include the install of the third harnass (I know fuel pressure is on this one) and the monitor is wedged in the corner of my dash because I have yet to find anything that will hold it to the dash.

I called Quads place yesterday and they are going to try and get me directions for the third wiring loom. They also said Quad is working on a pillar mount but that is some time off. Not really any help as to how and make it stick to the dash. I used the suppied two sided Velcro and the cleaner and no dice. Tried some double stick tape from Home Depot and it fell off after one day. I don't want to mount it like Hoehand has it and block anything else on the dash. So for now it is wedged in the corner of the dash so I can use it.

I does work well and it is very user friendly. I feel it is a big improvement over the three pillar guages I had in my 01.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 AM

I originally put it there as a temporary solution, but it turned out to be a real good solution. The only thing it blocks is speedo under 10 mph, the tach over 4500 rpm and my mileage.

I didn't even have to use any tape or velcor, and it is very visible.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 AM

Depth Finder......LOL
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets go fishin'

Dang that Quad fella is a hard worker! Congrats on a nice piece.

Wonder if it'll fit me old and turd 12 Valve? (:

Don~
Old 06-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Hoehand, how is it mounted if it does not have any tape or Velcro to hold it? We are still on the road so I may try and mount it there for the rest of our trip to see how I like it. It would not take me long to reroute the wire harness if I don't need anything to mount it with.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM

The cord just slides under the gauge bezel.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 AM

Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Can someone tell me what is involved in the installation? For instance, how does it monitor transmission temp, etc.? Do you need to install temperature sending units, pyrometers, etc.? If so, does it come with everything needed? Thanks!

Quick Reply: The Next Gen. Commander