3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

new valair ceramic-kevlar now rattles at idle bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new valair ceramic-kevlar now rattles at idle bad

i just installed valair solid flywheel and ceramic-kevlar clutch in my truck the truck has 106,000 miles. now after i got it back together it rattles like nobodies business. the rattle goes away after 900 rpms. the rattle sometimes gets louder and/or quieter when im driving it around. sometimes it will come and go at idle. is this normal for a valair clutch? and if it is i dont want that clutch in my truck.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:20 PM

the truck is 07 with 5.9 and dual mass flywheel from the factory, i put a solid flywheel in it tho the tranny is the aluminum case g56 or whatever
Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Welcome to the world of ceramic clutches. What you are describing sounds like regular clutch chatter to me.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by banks twinram
i just installed valair solid flywheel and ceramic-kevlar clutch in my truck the truck has 106,000 miles. now after i got it back together it rattles like nobodies business. the rattle goes away after 900 rpms. the rattle sometimes gets louder and/or quieter when im driving it around. sometimes it will come and go at idle. is this normal for a valair clutch? and if it is i dont want that clutch in my truck.
is it a dd?
a single shouldnt rattle imo.
does the sound go away when you push o the cluthh a little? go away with the clutch pedal all the way down?
did you use a new bearing?
did you do it yourself or have a profesional mechanic install it?
did you call valair yet?
rattle while driving or free rev or exactly when?
just tryin to help.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is the design of the clutch disc and is normal for THAT design.

Peter
Old 12-12-2008, 04:46 PM

My fe made a god awful rattle! I was told by Peter that it was the design of THAT clutch as well...
Topper
Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 PM

My OFE rattles, mostly when the truck is warm at idle. It goes away with a few RPMs, or if a press the clutch a bit. It didn’t do it when the clutch was bran new; it took a few 100 miles to start. It never does it when driving, however the gears in the G56 rattle at low RPMs if you lug it a bit.

It is all normal, they designed the dual mass damper clutch that slips to avoid all these rattles.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 AM

I wonder if the clutch disc rattling back and forth prematurely wears the splines on the input shaft?

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Put the same set up in mine. the rattle is from the solid flywheel not absorbing the pulses at low rpm. the noise is the gear lash in the tranny not the clutch wearing the input shaft. A little noise is worth the extra holding power.IMHO
Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM

ok. the clutch only rattles at below 900 rpms. it is definately coming out of the transmission because i pulled the side cover off the transmission to check end play on the bottom shaft and there was none. no metal shavings in the bottom of the tranny. but i fired the truck up with the side plate off and the noise was about 2x as loud as with oil in it. the pilot bearing is the super heavy duty full ball greased and sealed bearing. the throwout bearing is new as well. the noise goes away completely after pushing in the clutch but i have to push it all the way to the floor before it stops. what if i put some lucas tranny honey in it? would that make it quieter? oh and the noise stops if i push like im trying to go into 4th gear. just gently push against the 4th gear synchro and it goes away. the clutch no longer slips and im happy with that part. but the noise is annoying me.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 PM

the truck did not rattle before the clutch was installed. i have not called valair yet because i know what they are going to tell me. it is a single disk clutch and i installed it myself. what do you mean by professional mechanic??? i have seen some "professional mechanic" looloo's working on vehicles that i would never want working on anybody's vehicle. much less mine or a diesel truck. took me 2.5 hrs to do it by myself. so i think im pretti good mechanic.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM

my 1/2 ton ford cummins runs 111 at 3,000 rpms and im bout to put a double overdirve box and a 4k gov twins and 191 dv's. have ya'll seen the 6.5 truck that runs 150 or so on the salt flats. i think i can blow his doors off. i should go to bonneville. i bet i could top the 222 banks truck. with a couple more od boxes ir hell, if i turn me 3 speed box around i could get a 0.50:1 od ratio out of it. thats like 300 mph or so i think im going to do it. need some tires that will handle 300 mph tho. where do they get those anyways?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

The noise is not from slamming and banging hubs on input shafts or springs that are not to spec. Its called angular acceleration... it has to do with the firing pulses and the spacing between them. The reason you hear it now is because the organic material dampened the noise where ceramic or feramic lining transfers the noise. Its real bad if you go from the dual mass flywheel to a solid 1 piece.

I bet Pete gets 1/4 of his phone calls because of this. You can tell its not the TO bearing because it goes away once you bring it off idle a few hundred RPM's. Double disc rattle is something different but when it comes to the singles, this is the primary cause of noise.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
My last four clutches have been Luk hubs from peter b ecause i hate dealing with the cltter of the spicer hub. but that is jsut the hub noise that you are describing not throwout not input bearing or anything else.

solid flywheel

metalic clutch

spicer hub

very little dampening = more noise.

send your disk back have them swap it over for the LUK hub if you want to dampen it more.

unfortunately you have to know before you order but i dont even know if valair even offers a luk hub on the FE clutches. I have to hand it to Peter he and i discussed this after my first install and issues and he recommended the LUK hub to avoid any noise problems for my applications. helps talking about it with the guy building it.

butter smooth with the ofe.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by garr_trenching@
Put the same set up in mine. the rattle is from the solid flywheel not absorbing the pulses at low rpm. the noise is the gear lash in the tranny not the clutch wearing the input shaft. A little noise is worth the extra holding power.IMHO
Bingo here is the reason for the noise. Going from a dual mass fly wheel that is designed to dampen the noise to a solid flywheel that does not mask the noise. Common sound on g56 trannys when getting rid of the dual mass flywheel and going to a higher rated clutch. No problems just added noise.

Quick Reply: new valair ceramic-kevlar now rattles at idle bad