3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Quad XZT is on- - -Opinion's/Remarks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you suppose there would be a difference in performance with an automatic tranny? It just seem odd that you would have negative fuel mileage performance. Not questioning you by the way boostjunkie1. You are doing a good service here for all interested. Gains of up to . . what was that done on, a 2x with auto, stock tires, etc?

I just put on my new STD box that I got for Xmas. I will post some numbers when they are available. I am not planning any towing for a month or so, but do/can give some good numbers running empty. I'll run out a tank at the 30 setting, then the 60 setting. There should be some relationship that is similar in both gain/loss of mpg running empty or towing using this unit. Plus, I'm at 7K ft elevation and running up to 9K ft and down to 3K ft all the time. I wonder what effect elevation would have at sea level? Does anyone know what elevation the test data was done at? There are also standardized calcs out there that would discuss the gains/losses when changing elevations. Have to find them as I do have them around here somewhere.

I too was looking for some addl towing power and fuel mileage gains. So, this will certainly give data regarding both the XZT and the STD boxes.

CD
Old 01-05-2007, 10:47 PM

My altitude is 611' above Sea Level-----------Tires are 33-12.5-17's-------Auto will get better in the first place, but the Mileage Difference is a ???????------Please do your Test to see how the Standard Box will do compared to what you get Stock! Your numbers will be less then that of a typical flat land/slightly rolling hill's persons but the Average will still show a difference. My Truck is Completely Stock beside's tires and the XZT!

JB
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
My altitude is 611' above Sea Level-----------Tires are 33-12.5-17's-------Auto will get better in the first place, but the Mileage Difference is a ???????------Please do your Test to see how the Standard Box will do compared to what you get Stock! Your numbers will be less then that of a typical flat land/slightly rolling hill's persons but the Average will still show a difference. My Truck is Completely Stock beside's tires and the XZT!

JB
Put a K&N on and throw away your CAT, get a high flow muffler that will help.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 AM

I don't know if I would worry to much at this point. I would just drive the truck and not worry about trying to drive it right. Everytime me or someone else tries to baby the truck it seems they get terrible mileage. I would just drive the thing like you want and not try to granny around or up to speed.

Also keep in mind every truck and driver is unique. This is the primary reason that we offer a money back guarantee. If you don't get mileage then we will refund you. A lot of people get great mileage, some don't really gain but, it is pretty uncommon to loose mileage.

I would just go out and drive and see what happens.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 AM

keeping a eye on this post
Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by blkt6
keeping a eye on this post
Me two, or am I number 47??!!
Old 01-07-2007, 05:24 PM

well i just installed commander and xzt i also lost mileage with it ! drove to west vir. friday 18.8 mpg hand cal. installed both on saturday drove home sun just got home filled back up and got 17.4 mpg both trips with c/c on 65 good trip both ways . truck was empty. not towing or hauling anything just us
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 PM

Seems like a trend.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:30 PM

yup but ill give it some time1
Old 01-07-2007, 07:48 PM

I wouldn't recommend buying any programmer/module if you're looking for better fuel economy. Buy them for the power.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM

OK guys, did 30.1 gals of fuel on the 1st setting (30hp), drove like I always do, got the same fuel mileage I had the last tank running stock - 15.05mpg hand calculated. Next tank to come on the 2nd setting (60).

Outside temps today were 34*F. Running empty 65mph driving with the cruise on. My rail pressure stock at 65 mph/2K rpm's, is usually at around 15K cruising. With box on it was right a 17K cruising. I did notice a slight increase in throttle response, a little faster on the uptake. A little timing noise increase (rattle).

CD
Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 PM

I've the gauges long before I got the Quad standard box. The egts were higher stock than they are with the Quad. I think it has something to do with the added hp. I don't have to bury the pedal as much to maintain speed or to pickup some speed.
I use to fret over the gauges while towing my 11k (Plus) while stock. Now with the quad (Standard) on the 60hp setting I hardly have to pay attention.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:55 PM

never had gauges before xzt was installed so i dont know what they where going back to wv in couple weeks might unplug it and see. or run it like it is both ways on same tank of fuel to eliminate bad fuel
Old 01-08-2007, 06:48 AM

man im i dum or what !!!!!!!!!!! was on my way to work and thought something is wrong here, so i started to push buttons and low and behold a level icon came up so i pushed up and my what a change!!!! now on level 3 oh boy what a diff.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up Towing Mileage is Better with XZT by 1MPG!

----- Ok, so here is the Towing Mileage that I got while towing the Boat this weekend!!!!

From Work Here in Winston-Salem to Virginia Beach-- WITH XZT=10.3 MPG --
Boat/Trailer= 5800lbs
People= 900lbs
Gear= 400lbs
Total= 7100lbs + 200 for junk that I'm not thinking of = 7300lbs
So Gross WT ='s about 15k

-- Now I was really dissapointed with these figures at first. I did not think that the boat and junk was really that heavy, plus taking into account the fact that the boat sits above the truck 7'--- wind resistance!

From Virginia Beach to Winston-Salem -- Without XZT (Stock)=9.2 MPG????

** With the XZT Plugged in the truck definatly makes WAYYYyyyy More Power for towing than without. Hills were a breeze with little input on the throttle (hwy58 towards hwy264 is rolling hills and winding roads that I did not use cruise!)!!!!
*After I un-plugged the XZT, I could tell right off the bat that there was not as much low-end torque and on the Highway coming back there are a couple of good hills in Burlington and Henderson and I was definatly having to press the throttle more to get the Truck to maintain speed in 6th!

SO--> I'm going to once again do a comparison between the XZT and Stock to make my-self feel better. The Truck is running Stock for now and I will test the MPG once empty.
???? I wonder if there is something wrong with my Truck-------- I got better Mileage Towing the 16k back from the Beach a couple of months ago Stock compared to Stock on this trip??? And that was one heck of a load, that sat almost 13' off the ground----talk about wind resistance??? The only thing different was the Hills that there was probably 10 more of this way (85 N/S to 58 E/W to 264 E/W) compared to (40 E/W to Raleigh to 74 to Coast)???????
Ahhhhh-- I dont know--------Quad--------I have been testing the XZT the exact same way that I drive everyday and got the negative numbers. The only thing that I could think of is if my brother came over and got my truck to pull my dump-trailer off of the jobsite that it was at and move it somewhere and just didnt tell me??? I will investigate and let you all know!

p.s---- For Towing I'm going to keep the XZT and get some gauges to see what the Fuel and Boost/EGT's are doing!! XZT---- I recommend for anyone that just needs a little more than stock to get the job done!!!!! + Customer Service is second to none !
JB

Quick Reply: New Quad XZT is on- - -Opinion's/Remarks!