3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New guy here...audio/sub question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did two tens in the thunderform enlcoure. I have the taupe interior and it matches great. It is not quite as nice as a custom enclosure but I like the not having to modify a **** thing or track down carpet to match etc. I took the easy way out. I was aslo doing it as a gift to the wife so it was easier to suprise with a ready made option.

I would strongly recomend 10's or larger if you are into bass much. you can make 8's sound good but I have yet to ever hear 8's really put out much bass.

As for the amp it is a pain in the ***. it is behind the glove box. you have to use the output from the front speakers to drive the amp. I found out the hard way the rears just don't have enough power. I found the manual online for all the color coding. I aslo used a line level converter as opposed to the high inputs on my amp. it seemed to add a bit of headroom ajusting the gains. I tried it both ways. I had to gain up the amp more with the high level inputs as oppsed to the rca's fromt he line level converter. there is a remote on wire you can tab at the amp.

I also put a couple 470uf caps on the front speakers to know the low frequecies down as the would distort a bit at high volume levels from the factory.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thats a great place to put the factory amp! Dang. I will look at it when I get it home here in a couple of hours! I cant wait! Now what about the q logic boxes? I saw that they make them for driver side and passenger side now. Are they very good?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradmulvey
Well thats a great place to put the factory amp! Dang. I will look at it when I get it home here in a couple of hours! I cant wait! Now what about the q logic boxes? I saw that they make them for driver side and passenger side now. Are they very good?

as for boxes there are basically three types. MDF, custom unusally made from fiberglas/mdf, then the molded boxes like the jl audio, mtx, qlogic.

MDF is usually the best sounding do to it being more rigid but in the case of these trucks it is hard to get much mounting depth with mdf. If you read the auction on ebay boxes it will talk about cutting the carpet/jacking up the seat for proper fitment at times. I did not want to do either. if you get an mdf box that you don't have to modify you woofer selection can be limited.

custom is expensive so i chose the molded option. I wanted two subs so MTX was the obvious choice as it is cheaper than buying 2 q-logics. I may get one of these probox things to try out.

http://www.proboxrocks.com/dodge/02upquad.shtml

then keep which ever box I like better.

there is also a guy on ebay that makes a center section of the front seat as a box. if you would like to keep you rear cargo racks if you have them.

if you are looking for one sub under the rear though the I would proably try the q-logic.