3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New guy here...audio/sub question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here...audio/sub question...

Hey guys I will be getting my first new truck this weekend, I cant wait! Its a 05 laramie quad cab 3500. I got it for 37k with a spray liner and tow package out the door(brand new). Anyways I want to put a sub box in the back for 2 10's. I am going to remove the FFS for sure. by the way I have done tons of searches for this, but I am looking for pics of what you guys have done in the back of yours! Custom, ebay, what ever I am just curious what I can do for sure that will work. I saw that many of you have raised your seats to get them to work. I am going to be useing a couple of old solobaric subs(round one) that I have laying around so air space isnt too big of a deal at .66 a sub. Thanks for the info and this is a very nice site!
Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM

They make plenty of prefab boxes to fit 2 8", 10" or 12" in there but they have a rather shallow mounting depth so your limited as to which subs you can use. Just google Dodge Ram Sub box or somethin along those lines.

Another option I chose was to pull out the fold flat floor and carpet and do a fiberglass box. This was enough for 2 Adire Brahma 10"........wasnt easy but was worth to run those subs.

The best setup Ive seen it to actually cut out the metal trays under the seat and build a ported front firing MDF enclosure in its place. Lots of work but worth it.

Of course you could just build a "small" ported box w/ a nice sub in it and sit in back there. Almost wish I wouldve done that, proly ALOT cheaper, easier, and louder.

Good luck, do lots of research and remember that the box will make a huge impact on the performance of the sub.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 PM

Yup I have been looking a lot. I have found a bunch of ways but I was just curious of how those ebay free fab boxes have been doing with every body. There is one on there that claims the air space at .68 witch is what I need for the solobaric...that is what I am looking at...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:06 PM

I put a probox in mine with 2 JL audio's. The look and sound are excellent. PM me for picks..
Old 10-21-2005, 07:38 AM

I had custom fiberglass boxes made for two 8's and kept my folding flat floors, they sound great did not cost lots of money,.,
Old 10-21-2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by bradmulvey
Hey guys I will be getting my first new truck this weekend, I cant wait! Its a 05 laramie quad cab 3500. I got it for 37k with a spray liner and tow package out the door(brand new). Anyways I want to put a sub box in the back for 2 10's. I am going to remove the FFS for sure. by the way I have done tons of searches for this, but I am looking for pics of what you guys have done in the back of yours! Custom, ebay, what ever I am just curious what I can do for sure that will work. I saw that many of you have raised your seats to get them to work. I am going to be useing a couple of old solobaric subs(round one) that I have laying around so air space isnt too big of a deal at .66 a sub. Thanks for the info and this is a very nice site!
I went with one JL 10inch, its in the stealth box it came in... I used to have 1 12in'er in my 99, this is for sure not quite as good, But still kicks for 1-10inch'er
Old 10-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
DUH! I pulled the muffler off of mine and that makes all the music I need. Lots of bass and harmonics. Bicyclists love it. They keep showing me that I am Number One!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:12 AM

Talking

Boatnik..you are number one man! j/k. I dont mind the drone of exhaust at all! Infact I dont think there is ANY worse drone than a newer foxbody or sn95 mustang with flowmasters that can out drone a diesel! Man I miss my 11 second street car but it wont pull my enclosed trailer to the motocross races. But I cant wait to get my truck either saturday or monday at the latest. I dropped the truck last month when I was working at Dave Smith Motors but I quit because of the lost crappy hours. So I am just now getting around to picking it up!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
a buddy put 2 eights on each side, and 4 8's will pound pretty hard, but nice & quick transient response. nice, tight, and deep.

and it was flush with the top of the hole. i would do 2 8's in one side and keep some storage in the other.

with the capability this truck has, you may as well keep a few chains/shackles/tow straps in there. i know i got stuck going shopping one day...wife NOT happy...
Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
a buddy put 2 eights on each side, and 4 8's will pound pretty hard, but nice & quick transient response. nice, tight, and deep.

and it was flush with the top of the hole. i would do 2 8's in one side and keep some storage in the other.

with the capability this truck has, you may as well keep a few chains/shackles/tow straps in there. i know i got stuck going shopping one day...wife NOT happy...
I've been married to the same lovely lady for almost thirty years. It is a forgone conclusion that one must keep the spouse happy. The best way that I have found to do that is, Don't tell on yourself and buy her a new car every four years.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:51 AM

i had a local stereo shop make a box for me.
they built the bottom out of fiberglass and used the whole back area.
they attached a 3/4 mdf top plate and made it look good.
i have 2.3 cubic feet so i installed two kicker comp vr's in it. it really sounds good.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:08 PM

I'm looking to get one of them "Ebay" single boxes. Im just looking for a little punch when needed. I had one in my 98 GMC and it was great. I want a basic box, that will fit under the seat, and dont want to cut the rug out on the bottom. I can see maybe taking out the fold flat storage, on the one side, but I dont want to have to butcher my truck, for a $90 box either.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 PM

Amped or not, loaded with two 10's or not, you can choose. Can't beat the MTX Thunderform which is a box specifically designed for your truck to fit under your rear seat. I have the amped Thunderform for my '03 Quad Cab, Laramie with the Infinity system. You don't even need to change out your head unit. Sounds really nice.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 PM

yup there is one of those on ebay right now at like 227 I think ending in a few hours I think... I think I am just going to pop in my old solobaric 8ohm subs and my majestic 500w amp with one of those ebay boxes for like 90 bucks shipped and call it good. Where is the amp at for the infinity stereo in the truck. Also does any body know what type of bass blocker I can use(noise filter) so I can put those on the rest of the stock speakers so I can use the base on the stock deck to control sub control. I know I can pick them up at radioshack for pretty cheap!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:33 PM

If I remember right I need something from like 25khz-1000hz. Does that sound about right? Every other htz will be blocked correct?

Quick Reply: New guy here...audio/sub question...