3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need urgent advice on this cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need urgent advice on this cap

I can get this Leer 100XQ cap for a really great price. Do you guys think this would look good if I painted it the Khaki color and put it on the truck? There's really not much to paint other than the top. If not then if someone is in or near Connecticut they could get it but it must be this week...

Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 AM

I would paint the Cap white. I do think these trucks look great with a cab high cap on them, but I prefer it to be matched to the Base color of the truck. Just my $.02
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 AM

I've seen a couple of trucks that had the cap painted the secondary color. I didn't like it very much. I would go with white.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 AM
D45

My only suggestions is to not expect much from a Leer.

My friend bought one new for his GMC and the fiberglass is very thin, and cracking. The window s also leak.

I had a Leer on my Dakota, which also leaked through the side and rear glass seals.

A local Leer dealer even stopped selling Leer caps, because of the all the complaints. They are now selling ARE and Swiss.

However, if the cap is a steal-deal of a price, I would consider buying it.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I read an older post where you and some others reported having issues with the Leer. I'm kind of on the fence on a cap too. Sometimes I want one and sometimes I'm glad I don't have it. I probably won't get it but it is a great deal if someone needs a silver cap....

Thanks for the replies....
Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 PM

I have the LeerXQ 100 on my truck and couldn't be happier. I've had no problems with the fiberglass and the windows don't leak at all. The only fault I've had was with the rear window latch. It's made of aluminum and the black paint pealed off after about two years. No big deal though, 30minutes of my time to sand and paint, and looks like new. They are a bit pricey, but if you've got a line on one at a good price, I would definitely recommend it.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 PM

i love mine... no problems, looks nice. only had it a few months though

j
Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 PM

I dont have any trouble with mine..... when its on the truck.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 PM

I have an 8' Graphite 100XQ in Mass that someone could pickup for a few hundred clams. To big to ship anywhere so pickup only for this size cap.
Only problem is one side(passenger) has the glass busted. Fo Parts alone would be worth it if someone has the same cap or wants to pay to have the glass replaced.
Front glass has slider.. Single control on rear door..
Anyone interested??
Old 10-01-2008, 04:24 AM

Boy, they rape you on the price of replacement glass too. That's another reason I am hesitant to buy this. PLus I believe I would have to pull my tailgate spoiler off and be left with four holes in the tailgate....
I really like the look of this cap. In fact, it's the only cap I like and would consider putting on my truck. I wanted to go with the big SUV look......
Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 AM

I had a Leer and the back glass got shot out with a BB gun... I called LEER and they wanted ALOT of money for the glass... Then I called a local glass company and they measured it up and cut me a new piece of glass for it for like $100 and I installed it in about 15 minutes... looked factory, tinted and all...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by STate
I would paint the Cap white. I do think these trucks look great with a cab high cap on them, but I prefer it to be matched to the Base color of the truck. Just my $.02

i second the white paint. your truck would look like a sandwich with the khaki on top and bottom.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 AM

LOL. A Marshmallow sandwich on wheels........
Old 10-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Extrema2
I have the LeerXQ 100 on my truck and couldn't be happier. I've had no problems with the fiberglass and the windows don't leak at all. The only fault I've had was with the rear window latch. It's made of aluminum and the black paint pealed off after about two years. No big deal though, 30minutes of my time to sand and paint, and looks like new. They are a bit pricey, but if you've got a line on one at a good price, I would definitely recommend it.
Mine leaks like crazy. Looks like it is coming in around the windows. I would recommend a cap for sure. You will like it, but I would not recommend the XQ.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Wow. With all the bad I've read in the past couple days I am glad I didn't buy this thing.
Thanks friends....

Quick Reply: Need urgent advice on this cap