3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my quadzilla tow module review

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my quadzilla tow module review

well , i got my quadzilla tow box today (65hp) . i must say i was surprised at the physical size of it!! wow !! it is small!! anyway it was installed in about 20mins 15 mins were spent fishing it through the firewall argh !! anyway once i had it hooked the first thing i noticed is that is didn't through the check engine light on which was good new to me !! well then with a puff of smoke me and the wife where off !! i must say i noticed the power right out of the driveway !! it defiantly has a smooth power band all the way up the rpm range !! i was grinning from ear to ear .. i was watching my pyro very close the first WOT run i was very surprised to find it got to 1250 about as fast as it did stock !! that was good news to me also !!! i am impressed with the added power even though it is only 65 hp good enough for me for now !!! anyway i do have a question concerning the BOOST !! stock at WOT i have reached as far as 34 psi on the gauge !! the second WOT run i took i watched the boost very close !!! 45 psi !!!!! WOW HOLY MOLY !! isn't that reaching dangerous levels !!!! i would love somebody to chime in and educate me on safe parameters for boost !! overall on the first outing i am pleased with the new power .. and the great price !!!

Gary
Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good review Gary. I believe 45psi is the upper limit for stock turbo on the 600. Why would the first run would be at 34 and the next jump to 45 psi. That's is really strange. Was the engine fully warmed up during the two runs? Maybe Quad can answer this.

MikeyB
Old 04-14-2005, 07:32 AM

I have one of these boxes on the way and was not aware you had to fish anything through the firewall. I was under the impression this was like the EZ I had on my 2001 and it mounted under the hood. Did I miss something? I wanted something easy on easy off in case of warranty work.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:26 AM

Im with you hunter. is there a switch in the cab to turn the box off or something?
also how much smoke did ya get?
you got a 6spd or the 48re?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The module on the quad boxes must be kept inside the cab. There's a wiring harness that has to be pulled thru the firewall, which is no big deal if you've done it before, but can be annoying. The entire install will take 10 mins and require no tools... it doesn't get much easier than that. I'm not sure about the EZ's etc, but with the quad module there is no hooking up power/ground wires, etc. Just three plugs and you're done pretty much...
Old 04-14-2005, 08:35 AM

so is it like a programmer/downloader or is it just plugged in all the time just inside the cab? sorry its early, and i don't like early
on my day off...
Old 04-14-2005, 08:55 AM

Same as the EZ, three plugs and you are done only the box mounts under the hood. Wish I would have known about this before I ordered.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by MikeyB
Good review Gary. I believe 45psi is the upper limit for stock turbo on the 600. Why would the first run would be at 34 and the next jump to 45 psi. That's is really strange. Was the engine fully warmed up during the two runs? Maybe Quad can answer this.

MikeyB
oops sorry , the first run i didn't watch the boost ... the 35 psi run was at WOT w/o the quad box .. it was so simple to hook up !! quadzilla states if you don't mount the box in the cab the warranty is void (on the box).. the box is only the size of a half a pack of cigarettes ... the box is plugged in all the time and is set only by your go foot .... no selector switch ..

Gary
Old 04-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Hunter11
Same as the EZ, three plugs and you are done only the box mounts under the hood. Wish I would have known about this before I ordered.
It really is no big deal the box is so small you can zip tie to something or velcro if you want installation takes me about 5 minutes.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The answer from Quad is that the module must be mounted in the cab. Some of the components is sensitive to heat.

MikeyB
Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 PM

All IC components are sensitive to heat.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hunter11
Why? The install takes 15 minutes...is that too much time for you to spend? The performance/capabilities far exceed those of the EZ..
Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM

can someone answer simple question, what type of box is it? does it use pressure, duration, timing, so on and so on? or some of each or what? will it be hard on the injectors?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:14 PM

I classify it as pressure + timing. Most of its power comes from pressure, a little from timing. some bonus duration as a consequence of some of the other signal fooling it does. among the boxes I have been able to test, I'd say it acheives targeted HP with the lowest rail pressure of any box that connects to the rail pressure sender.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Why? The install takes 15 minutes...is that too much time for you to spend? The performance/capabilities far exceed those of the EZ..

Not at all Lightman but it would be nice to know this before ordering that's all. I could install or remove the EZ I had on my 2001 in about 5 minutes or less. Like I said when I ordered the box I was not aware it had to be mounted in the cab I thought it was just like the EZ.

Quick Reply: my quadzilla tow module review