3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

My quad X2 vs Smarty review!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qzilla
That is a very interesting comparison as they are definitely 2 totally different animals.

We will have something out in the reasonably near future that will be a better comparison for you guys.
And I will buy one, I love the Quad Race for what it does. Quads products are great and so is the customer service.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM

When I upgraded my trans, I already had my stack in mind....x2 and smarty. Alot of people said get smarty first then x2, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm still planning on getting a smarty when I can get the money,right now I'm just running a bully dog I already had, but yes I am really happy with my quad. It is an awesome box and I love the computer upgrades. The power is also really smooth like ya'll said and i've heard it stacks awesome with the smarty. I like it because it has the stack tune to make it a pressure only box for when you stack it with timing boxes like smarty and bully dog. X2 is a great chip
Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by justin mcfall
LFD2037, Did you have boost issues when you were hitting 1500 deg.? I had the same problem until i uploaded the the latest software on quads website. Now i have boost fooling on all power levels....
Thats what I was just about to ask before I read yours. When I first got mine, the boost fooling wasn't working and i was hitting 15 or 16 hundred easy, and only 28 or 30 pounds of boost. So I went to quad and told him what was going on and now I hit 42 or 43 lbs and my egts stay under 11 or 12 hundred
Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 AM

They are 2 different animals. Mine was fine until I upgraded to the RACE. I guess that's what was doing it 'cause I didn't have the supporting mods for the RACE.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM

I never had EGT issues with the Quad box as a stand-alone. As a "pressure only" it does get a little hotter but I use as the secondary power adder to the Smarty and it can be turned off at any time.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I personly love the Pod of the X2. I didn't think I would like it at first but I really enjoy it. Coolant temp, boost pressure, Rail pressure. Most excellent. Keep the Quad, go to the pressure tune, and load up the Smarty. Have the best of both worlds.....
Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BossHogg
Well after reading this, Im gonna send in my quad race box that is sitting under my dash disconnected (possibly a problem with it Dodge says) and get it upgraded!!
I wish I had not upgrade mine I'm still waitng for another one from quad cause mine is giving me a rough idle.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=rough+idle
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM

SO I guess I should chime in with my thoughts.

I've owned the Smarty for about a year and a half, the X2 Race for about 6 months. When I first got the X2 I removed the Smarty programming so I could get a feel for the race version (I previously owned a XZillaraider standard, also). The two are like night and day. The X2, and yes even the race version, is very tame. I had a hard time getting the tires to break loose even when power braking it (couldnt get it to do it without doing this). The Smarty, on the other hand, is wicked down low, and I can spin the tires from a standstill, without the added help of the brake.

EGT wise: I dont do enough WOT accelerating to know, or even care. While running the X2 alone, I have noticed off and on at times that the EGT's are really high, especially prior to the engine warming up - on a cold start, if I drive a couple blocks down the road, and pull to a stop, my EGT's will actually climb while sitting still. I;ve sat and watched it go from @450 up to the mid 600's just sitting and idling (this is with the exhaust brake on). I never saw this occur with just the Smarty - not saying it didn't happen, but I didn't notice it. For Towing, I have always liked the Quad product, it gave just enough power, without having to back out up the long grades. I wont tow anymore with the Smarty. Just way too much low end torque.

I love having in cab adjustability. That, and my perpetually blown tranny are the only downside I see to the Smarty. So thats why I have both. I'm hoping to get the right tunes loaded so I can have the low end grunt from the Smarty, the ability to turn the power up when I want it, and hopefully limp my tranny along until I somehow find 5 grand laying around for a tranny.

I sent an email to Quads customer service last Sunday, asking about the Vista compatibility issue with the update system, and havent heard a word back - seems like this forum is a better place to get service than their website! So, I'll ask here - does one have to send the module back in to get the X2 Race changed to a pressure only box, or can that be done via download? (I've seen conflicting info here) I was looking at the CITY MPG Stacker Race program.
Also, when stacking with the Smarty, should I or shouldnt I incorporate boost fooling in the X2 when I havent upgraded my turbo system (I have exhaust and intake changed...)?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:51 PM

You can PM Quad here. He's always gotten right back to me.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Also, when stacking with the Smarty, should I or shouldnt I incorporate boost fooling in the X2 when I havent upgraded my turbo system (I have exhaust and intake changed...)?[/QUOTE]

JThiessen, I would use the stack program with the x2 with boost fooling. The smarty aftermarket turbo program will throw an overboost code,while the quad will be fine.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 PM

I would use the stack program with the x2 with boost fooling. The smarty aftermarket turbo program will throw an overboost code,while the quad will be fine.
I'm not so sure it will - when running the Smarty Beta 4.4 I frequently saw 45psi. Also, are you assuming I am running the aftermarket turbo program? If so, is that because thats the only way to get boost fooling from the Smarty? I'm only asking to make certain that I'm not missing something......
Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 PM

I thought that was the only way to get extra boost from the smarty. I saw stock boost# when i had my smarty. I did not have the beta 4.4 just the standard sofware it comes with.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM

I thought that was the only way to get extra boost from the smarty. I saw stock boost# when i had my smarty. I did not have the beta 4.4 just the standard sofware it comes with.
Standard Smarty you need to use the aftermarket turbo to get boost fooling...

Beta 4.4 only came with boost fooloing enabled

Either of the above will hit 40+ depending upon throttle usage....
Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
Standard Smarty you need to use the aftermarket turbo to get boost fooling...

Beta 4.4 only came with boost fooloing enabled

Either of the above will hit 40+ depending upon throttle usage....
Thank you sir!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 PM

So should I keep my original quad race to stack with my smarty or should I go with the x2?

Some of you guy's are saying the old one is better? I wouldnt imagine, but why would it be??

Sshhhh.....Dont worry Quad, I'll be sending mine in on Monday anyway for the upgrade!

Quick Reply: My quad X2 vs Smarty review!!!