3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

My Great Depression Revisited Budget Transmission Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been following this thread for awhile. I feel like it is time to do some tranny work. It slips on anything but a tow-haul tune. I'm thinking of doing the same thing since I'm not planning on making any ridiculous HP number, just need to tow...

It sounds like some of you guys are using some of the same builders. I'm up in Pullman, WA at WSU... There are alot of little shops out here in the rural areas, so I plan to ask around a bit. Anything to ask for or specify when finding a builder, other than familarity with the 48re?

Thanks for all of the information thus far!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 AM

I did the same build as YelloZ. Afterwards I noticed the 1-2 shuttle. I installed an aftermarket solenoid governor and a new sensor and the shuttle became less pronounced but it did not go away. I did notice that shifting was more firm especially when towing a 10K 5th. Wheel. Torque Conv lockup was so pronounced that I was afraid of breaking an input shaft and/or u-joint. In addition, when passing using full throttle, the transmission dropped to too low a gear and the engine red lined. Upon advice from Transgo Engineers and yelloz, I re-installed the factory solenoid governor and installed a DTT shift enhancer. The 1-2 shuttle is gone and the shifts are less dramatic and passing gear works right too. Be advised, the torque converter has very little slip to it. If you are going to tow heavy, have your builder drill only one hole per transgo instructions. 2-hole=firmer shifts. I like my trans build now but if I were to do it again I would look for torque converter with a little slip and have the Trasnsgo set for smother shifts.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Did you use the same TC as YelloZ?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Yes I believe he used the exact same converter as me. 4thInf1969 what do you mean you would get a converter with more slip? Are you referring to the lock up?

Taylor_Mish I don't mean to make you decision harder, but if I did anything different I think I would go in the opposite direction of 4thInf1969. I think I would like a slightly tighter converter if anything. I am referring to the slip while driving unlocked. The stator in this converter is a modified stock stator so there is some limit to what can be done with it as compared to a new one from goerend or one of the other companies. It has better coupling than stock, but I would like to see what a tighter one was like. I have never driven a truck with a really tight converter, but was warned about them from both my builder and Dave Goerend that it is better to be a little loose than too tight. So it might be that mine is just about right and that any tighter and it would start to hinder the performance.

As far as the lock up is concerned, mine is firm, but not unbearable and not to the point that I think something is going to break. There is no slip once the converter is locked and there shouldn't be any. This is why I was confused about 4thInf1969's statement.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM

With the higher flow solenoid, while towing, when the torque converter locked it was quick and with no noticible slip. It felt like I was rear ended. Most of the time my turbo would bark too. I read somewhere where Goering provides a less agressive converter for those who tow heavy. Now with the standard solenoid and the DTT shift enhancer, the torque converter lock is firm but not as bad. I haven't towed much since I installed the DTT shift enhancer and the standard solenoid but without a load it is shifting great, barely noticible. Another thing, my temps while towing are higher than before the build. The sensor is on the hot line going to the radiator. I've hit 190+degrees towing. FWIW my invoice from the builder listed a Billet multi XXX Torque Converter. When I questioned Parker Trans I was told that I have the same converter as YelloZ and I specifically asked if I hade the single disc Converter. By the way, I have a Dodge Solenoid conversion kit for sale.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:12 PM

YelloZ, referring to slip, I should rephrase it to mean slips on shifting gears with a slower smother lockup. My problem seems to be associated with pressure as the standard solenoid shifts and lockup are much smoother but still a little too firm under load but I can adjust to it. I wish my Smarty would allow to turn on OD lockout as that would help in the hills. By the way Transgo advised me that their shift kit is not meant to work with the aftermarket solenoids. Just an FYI for those thinking of adding one.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

yelloz28

How's that convertor holding up?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Still working just fine. No issues at all.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 PM

I went with DTT transmission kit for 2100.00, I personally have went threw 3 trans this year from the 1-2 2-3 shutter and come to find out that is what kills our transmissions, so take for what it is worth
Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Mcalms how do you like that DTT tranny kit? is that the single disk without billet input and flex plate?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM

I am ready to do a few upgrades and I am wondering whitch to get first, the tq converter talked about in the first poast and a vb. I am not sure what to go with the vb or the shift kit. I am wanting to get a pac break latter down the road so any advice will be grate.

All ready spending the tax return and havent even got it yet...