3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mopar OEM remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mopar OEM remote Start

Finally got arround to installing my Mopar remote starter. I won't even begin to fully explain the ORDEAL I went through just convincing parts staff that mopar makes a remote start unit let alone that it works with a diesel engine. They all insisted that the mopar remote start was a piece of junk, NOT TRUE!!! Codesystems actually makes the unit and it is fully intergrated into the truck, in my case with the sentry key. I ordered the following parts: 82209082 (sentry key interface), 82208863AD (Installation kit; loom wire, antenna, starter fobs, instructions, hood switch), 82208859 (remote start "computer"). I also tried to order 82209985, its the new TWO WAY fm upgrade for the system as it lets you know when the vehicle starts and also increases range from the standard 800feet to 2000feet. Unfortunatly this part was over the part guy's head, he tried to order it but was not able to for some reason. I tried a few other places to order it too but everyone just gave me a look like I was out of my mind. I ended up getting someone off ebay to order it for me, can't wait for it to arrive. The install was pretty straight forward. Just make sure you have both keys inorder to program the sentry interface. It also seems that the AD kit has the upgraded hood switch, which is very handy. Overall I am quite happy with the system, there are just a few shortcomings.

The good
---------
-factory interface with sentry key
-6 wires to splice
-hood switch
-30 second delay to run grid heater

The bad
--------
-honks when you start it
-lights come on even when the park brake is set when started (i can see having the park lights come on, but the headlights come on too)
-no way to keep it running by pressing a button when you get out (you have to take your key out and then press the button to restart)

All in all its a very good system for dodge rams with an automatic transmission. I am very happy with it, and glad to have it as it was a xmas present from my parents.

-rS
Old 02-07-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the mopar remote start.1 Wish it only waited 15seconds instead of the to long 30sec.By the time it starts grid is cold already but seems to start fine.2 I disconnected the wire spliced for the horn as that was very anoying no more horn honk.3 Only my parking lights come on with the starter not headlamps,maybe change the wire you spliced for lights.As You said it is a decent system.Wish you could push the button and leave it running without shuttin it off and restarting.Rob.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:31 PM

thanks for the heads up, I will be doing both of your suggestions asap.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:28 PM

how much is the system cost. Is dc dealer the only place to get it?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:39 PM

ebay is cheaper. unfortunatly there are none listed right now. I got mine through a collision place that I am friendly with, they get 40% off dc parts.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by elirandolph
how much is the system cost. Is dc dealer the only place to get it?
I believe I paid $280.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:05 PM

You can unplug or de-program the horn honk, if your headlights are coming on all you need to do is change the resistor to do parking lights only. And i think you can change the wait to start to 15 secs. not posative on that one though.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 PM

I've heard that their is no use in trying to get it installed or that it is possible to do this with a six speed manual. I have done alot of other more difficult (to me) installs on equipment in other vehicles but they say that this monster reads if the auto tranny is in park and Im not sure how to bypass that. I would love to see someone elses install on a 6spd if possible.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:21 PM

bbh,With the Mopar remote start all You have to do is splice 6 wires thats it.The harness are all made from the manufacture.Also I saw nothing in the manual that came with it(I did the install) about changing the time already looked about a millon times.Not really any options with the mopar kit.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Yeah I know, it's a Code 420 with a fancy harness and price tag.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:51 PM

He also has units listed for 06's as well as many other mopar vehicles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...35405546QQrdZ1
Old 02-08-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by tristan21
I've heard that their is no use in trying to get it installed or that it is possible to do this with a six speed manual. I have done alot of other more difficult (to me) installs on equipment in other vehicles but they say that this monster reads if the auto tranny is in park and Im not sure how to bypass that. I would love to see someone elses install on a 6spd if possible.
You would need to bypass the clutch switch, which can be dangerous if you left the truck in gear (picture your truck driving itself through whatever was in its way via the starter engaging when the trans was in gear).

I have seen it done on a 6spd firebird. The guy used an inductive switch. There is a magnet placed inline with the shifter when its in neutral. When the shifter is in neutral the magnetic field is collapsed and the switch is made to complete the circuit. That way the truck would only start if the shifter was in neutral. It was pretty slick, but a pain to install and get adjusted right.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bbhzx12
You can unplug or de-program the horn honk, if your headlights are coming on all you need to do is change the resistor to do parking lights only. And i think you can change the wait to start to 15 secs. not posative on that one though.
its programmablr guys...i have one and i also put one in wifes liberty...its programmable 10,20, or 30 sec delay.....
Old 02-08-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
You would need to bypass the clutch switch, which can be dangerous if you left the truck in gear (picture your truck driving itself through whatever was in its way via the starter engaging when the trans was in gear).

I have seen it done on a 6spd firebird. The guy used an inductive switch. There is a magnet placed inline with the shifter when its in neutral. When the shifter is in neutral the magnetic field is collapsed and the switch is made to complete the circuit. That way the truck would only start if the shifter was in neutral. It was pretty slick, but a pain to install and get adjusted right.
omg...thats an aftermarket remote start...ive done dozens on 5 and 6 speed manuals...if e-brk switch isnt set, will not start...you guys got to get into 21'st century here...lol
Old 02-08-2006, 08:19 PM

Smile

I have one also,not enough options for me I install these things so im never happy untill I have the newest one aval.SO IF ANY ONE WANTS IT THEY CAN HAVE IT.I REUSED THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS SO ALL I HAVE IS THE BRAIN AND THE HALF HARNESS WICH PLUGS INTO THE BOX NOT THE TRUCK,ONE REMOTE AND MANUAL.ALL I ASK IS 20.00 FOR SHIPPING AND MY TIME TO PACK AND SHIP.

Quick Reply: Mopar OEM remote Start