3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lower Control Arm Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Control Arm Removal

I'm in the process of installing a 4.5" Tuff Country lift on my 03' 3500. I'm at the step where I'm supposed to remove the lower control arm. I was able to remove the rear nut and bolt on the arm. On the front of the lower control arm where it attaches to the front axle I was able to remove the nut only. Is there something special that I have to do to remove the bolt holding the control arm? I can't turn the bolt either, is there a special tool that I need to push the bolt through to the other side? Please help, can't do anything else until I get past this point.

Thanks much.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sound's like it is bound up?
do you have the truck jacked up and supported on the frame??

*Edit* I wounder if the bushing is froze to the bolt???
Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 PM

Not 100% sure as I just got my 3rd gen 2 weeks ago, but when I did my 2002 I ran into the same problem. Only solution I came up with was cutting the bolts on the inside of the mounts and bought new hardware. Probably not what you wanted to hear so hopefully someone else has another method.

Darren.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:04 PM

The truck is up on jack stands and supported on the frame.
Both shocks are out and there are two floor jacks holding the axle up.
Both lower control arms have the rear bolt removed and are hanging below the rear mount point in the frame. They are now being held in place by just the front bolt where they mount in the axle. The nut on the outside of the front bolt has been removed but I can't get the bolt to turn at all.
Is there a specific way to remove this bolt or should it just slide out?
Should I hammer it out?
Is there a specific puller to do this?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 PM

you need some kroil and a BFH....put the nut on and beat the **** out of it, if you cant get it out you will end up doing what was suggested earlier and cut it out.

good luck
Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 PM

The problem is the metal sleeve in the bushing, it gets froze to the bolt and then the rubber bushing soaks up all the energy from the hammer blows your in for a fun time!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
you need some kroil and a BFH....put the nut on and beat the **** out of it, if you cant get it out you will end up doing what was suggested earlier and cut it out.

good luck

Exactly. And PB Blaster works really good too. If it doesn't come out after soaking in PB for a few minutes, get a bigger hammer. You may need to take the tires off to get a real good swing on it.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:21 PM

OK, I will try that. Just wasn't sure if it needed to be twisted out or beat on.
I sprayed PB on it earlier and I will let it soak overnight.

Thanks for the info guys. Wish me luck. Hopefully I won't knock the truck off the jack stands, ouch that would hurt.....
Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 PM

If you have air tools try using the impact gun to get it to break free while your friend beats on the other side.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:31 PM

The LCA bolt is notorious for getting rusted to the inside of the busing sleeve making it very difficult to remove. I've heard of guys doing eveything from beating it out with a hammer, cutting it off on the inside of the mounts, and using a torch in some fashion to remove it. Either way your probably going to have to replace the hardware. Good luck...

-Steve
Old 12-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Banned

And if you have to replace those bolts, you can only get them from the dealer, unless you have a junk yard around that you can get them from.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 AM

if you have the truck supported on the frame, try putting the jack under the knuckle and lifting it up sligtly to take off the pressure off that lower arms. then a little wack and it will come shooting out! Unless the bushing is froze as mentioned before.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:07 AM

I had to cut mine off when I did my lift install. No amount of hammering or PB would loosen it.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:10 AM

All of mine came out like butter. but then again i only had 2000 miles on the truck before i installed the lift.....

Those bushings are a pain to get out once they freeze up. and i dont think those bolts are cheap...but they are the same of the second gens i think.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:48 PM

I hammered the heck out of them and they won't budge. Looks like I'm going to have to cut them out. Any thoughts on how to do that? A sawzall won't work on that grade bolt I'm assuming I need to angle grind it or use a cutting torch. Problem is I don't own a torch so I will have to look into buying one.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how else to cut them out?

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Removal