3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for a navigation system, what to buy, pioneer AVIC D1, D2, AVIC N2, N3, N4???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a navigation system, what to buy, pioneer AVIC D1, D2, AVIC N2, N3, N4???

Looking at a new system for my truck and would like to buy something that is nice with most of the same features as the newer models listed. Looking at staying with pioneer as it is a trusted brand name.

Been looking around for a unit and what I come up with is the Avic D1 or D2, and the AVIC N2, N3, or N4. Prices range from about $700 for the N2, 900-1000 for the N3, and 1200-1300 for the N4, which one is the best deal for the money and why??

I'd like to keep it down to the $700-$800, which gives me the choice of the Avic D2 or N2, maybe the N3, but am willing to spend up around the $1200 range if it is truely worth the extra money. I want something that is navigation COMPLETE, I don't want to spend another 5 or $600 on getting the upgrade to make the navigation part of the unit to work.

I am pretty much Car stereo illiterate so I'm counting on some good advice from you guys to steer me in the right direction.

PS, I am not using this system for work or anything extremely important, just for bling and to add a nice touch to my truck

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 PM

I have also been looking at this, in my dodge I have the factory nav, it actually is a decent unit. But in my chevy they dont offer a factory nav for the pickups. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Kenwook dnx 7100, it is from what I can tell a very good system, and complete too. The only downfall for your truck you would have to cut up the dash,, but I think that Kenwood makes a din and a half unit that would fit in your truck

Kevin
Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 PM

I just bought the Kenwood KVT-819DVD and the KNA-510 navigation system that goes with it. I bought both off Ebay with the 3 yr extended warranty for 910.00 for the DVD and the 370.00 for the navigation.

It is upgradeable as you want with xm, sirius and HD radio along with Ipod capabilitly and Bluetooth.

I have the 05 dodge to so this is a single din install. You might use crutchfield for info because you can put your vehicle in their and it will tell you whether it will fit or not and if it is compatiable.

I was also looking at the pioneer but opted to the kenwood for all the options that come with it and what you can do with it. It is also a 7" screen.

hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Banned

This might be not what your looking for but I have been so IMPRESSED with the Garmin line that I wanted to throw this in, just in case someone else might read the post. I have owned several of the in dash units. They are great units for the most part for me. I could go into a whole dissertation about the two but the Garmin navigation unit BLOWS AWAY ANY of the dash units I have seen or used/owned. I only own the 'middle' (C-340) of the line Garmin and its AWESOME !!
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

I have a friend that just got the 600 series and that thing is ridiculous in what it does and the functions it comes with. It was WAY cool but over kill for what I do or need....

Anyhow, don't want to be a sales man for the darn thing but it is VERY worth wild to at least go try one out. They work fantastic and have a TON of useful features that my in dash never came with..... I like the max speed deal.... Its fun to drive across the country and then go back to see my max speed. Another is the GPS MPH reading.. its cool to see that the DC gauges are slightly slower than your "real" speed.... cool stuff

One more thing, I have used my Garmin all over the country and it has never let me down... And in Denver, Los Angles and Daytona FL... I have grabbed it out of the truck, put in a restaurant ( within walking distance ) And walked down a few blocks to the place I wanted to go..... It will tell you when you will get there, even walking!!! LOL Its AWESOME ! I LOVE IT... Love it so much, had to tell you about it....

Edit: BEST PART for me...... NO disc, NO update, NO soft ware, NO subscription, NO problems in new neighborhoods.....
Updates everything everywhere you go as you go..... Its the "new" software every time you turn it on! LOVE IT!

Ive gone into BRAND NEW neighborhoods, even with streets being built.. The paved streets are on the device!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 AM

Go with a Garmin. I have one and they are accurate and easy to load. They use touch screen so adding an address is easy! I use them to find out of the way locations with my fire department...we have up to 40 miles of area to cover and a lot of small roads. I did have to use double sided tape to mount on my windshield, down low off to the left because the suction mount fell about every 5 days.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:23 PM

If you are going to be entering a lot of addresses, consider the input method used. As with the Garmin, I can input my pocket an address into my PPC, in seconds versus minutes using the NAV system from Dodge.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:34 PM

I've been looking at an in-dash system as well, for my soon to be 3500 Mega, and think i'm set on the Panasonic Strada. Up here in Canada the Navteq maps that Panasonic uses are the most accurate. Also, combined with "made for ipod" controls, and a backup camera, it'll be everthing i was looking for. I'd much rather prefer a unit with a hard drive for info. The Panasonic unit has 3 or more times the info and points of interest as a DVD based system.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:19 PM

I have an Avic N1 I took out of my last truck I might be willing to part with??

The advantage from what I understand is that on the N1 you can watch the TV while you are moving down the road!

If you are interested I will try and get you some pictures and info on it???
Old 09-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the AVIC-N2. It has been accurate, and had everything needed for installation. It has pretty good EQ parameters, too.