3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for Lift Pump with No Check Valve Feature

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Lift Pump with No Check Valve Feature

I am going to be converting my 2003 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Cummins to a straight vegetable oil (SVO) system in the near future using a separate veggie oil tank, veggie oil filter, and veggie oil lift pump. My present system design requires that I be able to back-flush the veggie side with diesel when I shut the vehicle down. I would thus like to find a lift pump that does not have a built in check valve feature and can thus pass flow in both directions. I have looked at the Facet Posi-Flow fuel/lift pump (the one with the black plastic casing) but am not happy with performance of such pump in a SVO atmosphere, from what I read on forums such as this. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good lift pump that will meet my criteria, i.e. no check valve feature and can pass flow in both directions? It would be nice if the lift pump had substantial pressure so I can use a pressure regulator on the discharge of the lift pump to ensure I get the pressure I need at the suction of the injection pump.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:05 AM

The OE pump on the Cummins does not have a check valve, it has a pressure releif valve. The Cummins (Carter) pump will let fuel flow back thru it but, depending on the rotor vanes position when the pump is stopped, it might not do it that freely.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:48 AM

A FASS pump will meet your criteria, but if you design the system propperly you don't need to back flush. Most filters are not designed to be backflushed, and can be damaged if they are.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 AM

I presume that your needing to address cold weather/cold start issues with SVO. Instead of back flushing the pump, switch to the diesel feed for your turbo cooldown. That will insure that your start fuel will be diesel and not SVO.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by roverhybrids
A FASS pump will meet your criteria, but if you design the system propperly you don't need to back flush. Most filters are not designed to be backflushed, and can be damaged if they are.
As stated above, the FASS or HPFP with the correct pump and motor can push WVO. BUT i can not say that the motor could be run in both directions without damage. We have never tested this nor ever had a need to implement this for any reason.

We can set the pump up at the highest pressure allowed by the motor amperage and you can use an external regulator to adjust the pressure from that point. All this with a 2 year wnty for WVO use.

Shane (Roverhybrids) knows more about WVO/SVO than i do, if you have any questions, i would talk with him.