3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lockers for 3rd Gens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gus's 03
per arb today.. they are still in develpement stage, not even final prototype!!! im going to throw the late 3rd quarter eta out the window! my guess, give it another year...
you are talking about for the BACK 11.5" axle, correct? I thought someone posted earlier about having one already for their 9.25" FRONT AAM? Either way, I'm not going to need a locker for quite some time anyway...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:24 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe T
Would you actually need lockout hubs if you had an E locker or ARB?

The locker has nothing to do with hubs. Locker or not you're still turning the whole front diff, driveshaft and transfer case, unless you have hubs to disconnect all that

John
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wetspirit
The locker has nothing to do with hubs. Locker or not you're still turning the whole front diff, driveshaft and transfer case, unless you have hubs to disconnect all that

John
That's what I was meaning when I said lockout hubs. Without this the only option he'd have is a switchable E locker or air locker. I'd go with the switchable locker .
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 AM

It does seem like the E-locker is simpler than an air locker. But I'm not convinced either one makes sense for me. The lockers are fine for extreme rock climbing, but these trucks are not and never will be. And locking them up in snow on the highway has got to be worse than a limited slip because you are making a wheel slip on every turn. It's all a compromise. If I was seriously stuck I'd definately want the locker, but I don't usually get that stuck. And locking them up on dry pavement is an invitation for a broken axle. The limited slip is available all the time and instantly, regardless of the pavement conditions.

On the highway in snow the front axle, even with the open diff, adds a huge amount of traction. On a steep paved driveway with a sandy spot on one side, the limited slip helps instantly without flipping a switch or binding when traction returns. But then you get opposite corners up the only way out is a locker. Sheesh. Always a compromise!

John
Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by mjf6175
OK, so a little help here. I would like to put a limited slip on the front of my 04.5. What did you guys use? Or how about the locker the Power Wagon uses up front, since that is the same axle as the diesel (in the front) could I also use that. Sounds like the Power Wagon setup maybe sweet if its not to big of a job. But I remember reading a thread on here about needing to grind the transfer case to use a locker, was that the E-locker?
Limited slip on the front end?

You want a selectible locker. (on or off).

Locking or limiting the slip of the front end can break parts while driving on pavement.

So far ARB is the trick locker and the only one that fits without modifying the housing on our trucks. The Power Wagon locker is supposed to fit with no modifying but the locker and its accessories are not marketed in kit form for our application.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Banned

John
So which is it???

The two are obviously related and that's why he asked the question.

You can't drive around on a snow covered road with the front end locked up. The selectable lockers are the only way to go because you can simply turn them off and go back to stock when serious traction isn't needed. When it is needed though, the locked up front end will pull you through just about anything. Much better than having a "2 wheel wonder"!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=jrussell;1613592]So which is it???

The two are obviously related and that's why he asked the question.

They are only related in the sense that you have to have the hubs engaged to drive with the front diff. But you can put in a locker and run with stock (no hubs) or lockout hubs. And with either diff you can disconnect the lockout hubs for better mileage and less wear.

Selectable lockers are not the "only" way to go. Everything is a compromise.

John
Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

They are only related in the sense that you have to have the hubs engaged to drive with the front diff. But you can put in a locker and run with stock (no hubs) or lockout hubs. And with either diff you can disconnect the lockout hubs for better mileage and less wear.

Selectable lockers are not the "only" way to go. Everything is a compromise.

John
What exactly are you compromising by going with a selectable locker?

In the rear, a good LS is probably best for most people. In the front, a selectable locker is actually the only way to go. If you put a LS or Detroit in the front with the stock setup it would not be good at all.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=jrussell;1613927]What exactly are you compromising by going with a selectable locker?

I've already explained it in my earlier post. Yes, a locker is a compromise. It's right for some things and poor for others. It's also more complicated.

John
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

I have seen a custom locker for the rear of these trucks..... I call it "Dos Welding Rod-os"
Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Armstrong Performance
I have seen a custom locker for the rear of these trucks..... I call it "Dos Welding Rod-os"

I love it! Very effective, but a compromise.

John
Old 07-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

I've already explained it in my earlier post. Yes, a locker is a compromise. It's right for some things and poor for others. It's also more complicated.

John
Please repost it then. I did not see where you explained why you feel it's a compromise. A regular locker like a Detroit is a compromise. If the selectable locker goes back to stock (open) with the push of a button, what exactly is being compromised?????

I love it! Very effective, but a compromise.

John
I would definitely say this is a much better use of the word "compromise"!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:11 PM

The lockers are fine for extreme rock climbing, but these trucks are not and never will be. And locking them up in snow on the highway has got to be worse than a limited slip because you are making a wheel slip on every turn.

Rocks and snow aren't the only types of terrain encountered with a 4x4. I've barely driven on either but have needed a locker on many times in other situations.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Rocks and snow aren't the only types of terrain encountered with a 4x4. I've barely driven on either but have needed a locker on many times in other situations.
I don't guess that I have said it in THIS thread yet, but I am right behind ya on this one...my dad got his '99 stuck in our loading chute on a FEW occasions (mud, cow crap/urine, etc) and it's not even that steep at all so BAD that we had to go and break out our tractor to get him out...I am convinced that if he would have had lockers to engage, he wouldn't have had a problem...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 AM

ICE

That's why I got the Front E-Locker.

The TracRite is useless on ICE. My driveway is not very steep and I get ice on one side (in the shade.)

In 4x4 I had both wheels on the ice spinning with NO traction on the dry pavement under the other side of the truck. .. Using the e-brake did nothing to shift the power to the wheel on the pavement. I tried slow fast light brake no brake... e-brake on click 2 clicks etc.. To no avail.

Sliding down my driveway backwards in 4x4 with a TrackRite (yes it's in there) with 4 studded snow tires was all it took for me to want to put a locker in the front.

I'm not talking about anything extreme here.. Just driving up my plowed driveway with some black ice on one side.

The TrackRite does work in snow where I have some traction. But ICE it's useless.

The locker is also good in the difficult situations when plowing and you have one tire in the rear and one in the font spinning since you have the truck off the road a little and a tire lightens up.

With the plow UP and the locker engaged I get some serious traction.

I would not consider driving for any distance with the locker engaged. Just when I need it.

Now to get rid of the horrid wheel hop!

Last tank I got 23.47 mpg (thanks to the OD and Lock out hubs) .. hand calculated. Over 800 miles on a tank! This was my best MPG to date.

Quick Reply: Lockers for 3rd Gens?