3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

LEER truck caps

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEER truck caps

Hola,
I am considering a Leer truck cap for my mega cab (need one for the winter months with traveling - luggage, dog stuff, etc)

Anyways, I never owned a truck cap... I will need an open bed during the summer a few times and was wondering how hard it was to install/remove a Leer cap ? How many people do you need, mounting, etc ???

Plus, if anyone has some new pics of mega cabs or quad cabs with Leer caps, please post...

Old 12-29-2006, 07:38 PM

I have an A.R.E on the super dooty (short bed). Two people can do it but it takes a little muscle. they aren't as light as you think. The ARE shell came with clamps. I cut some pieces of ply wood. Covered the top one w/ carpet to match the inside of the shell, and the bottom one on the bottom side of the bed rail to keep from damaging any body panels. tightened her down and she's been 10,000 miles since installation and have never had a problem.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 PM

This was my 04.5 and now my 06 is Silver w/cap, it's a LEER... and they have an option to be able to unlock with the OEM key the rear window on the cap.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:24 AM

GaryC,
Do you by chance have a picture of the back of your truck? I'm trying to decide between a Leer 100XQ or 100XL. My local dealer up here is telling me that they have never installed an XQ on a Ram, so they don't have any pics. Thanks for posting one!

OBTWY...That's a K/A truck you got!
Old 12-30-2006, 02:39 AM

GaryC,

How long was the wait from the time you ordered your cap untill the time you recieved it?

Mike
Old 12-30-2006, 02:48 AM

Leer

I ordered a 100XQ for mine about a week ago from Cap-it in Coquitlam, B.C. I chose the (3) 12 volt plug in , roof rack and cargo net,coat hangers and keyless rear entry option. Apparently they order from somwhere in CA, have it painted to my trucks inferno red color and then ship it up here to Canada. Said 3 weeks for delivery. Total with installation was $3850 Cdn funds. Thought it a little steep but shopped around up here and best deal I could get as up here we pay through the nose.Could have maybe went to USA and bought it cheaper maybe but then coming back the customs would charge you the duty plus 13% tax so I guess the same. Will let you know how it fits when it's finished.

2006 Laramie Diesel 3500, SWB, QC 6 spd.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:44 AM

I only got prices from one place near Baltimore.

100 XQ - 1489.00 installed (just the shell, not major bells/whistles.
100 XL - 1369.00 installed

I think I am leaning towards the XQ. I have a 70.00 internet coupon as well.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 AM

Thumbs up

It took about 10 days(other place 3 weeks) to get mine, the Leer site has a dealer locater and this time I went to a diffirent local dealer Ziebart and took care of me.

my old 4.5 cap was nightmare to get adjusted correctly, but now having another Leer on my 06 it perfect. the rear OEM fob release option is a gots to do.

thanks for the kind words

GC
Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the pic of the XQ! The local dealer is pushing me to a 100XL, but I really like the clean lines/glass edges of the 100 XQ.

My quote is $1459 (w/coupon) 100 XQ installed.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM

They come off easy enough. You just need another person to make life easier. Then you have to set a nice little area somewhere. I sold mine. I had a long bed model with a high rise. That thing was heavy and awkward. Good luck
Old 12-30-2006, 07:34 PM

I had an ARE on my duramax it was nice with big beefy clamps. I heard that on LEER if you break a side window that peice of glass is as much as the shell is that is what I heard. So something to think about.

The shells are nice for luggage dog and even a blow up bed and camping in the back..
Old 12-30-2006, 09:00 PM
BR1

i just put a Century royale on mine. pretty good looking cap so far. just had it installed today. took 2 weeks. $1400.75 with tax installed, third brake light, interior light. dual latches in rear. i know that century and leer, and i think one other are all the same company, make in indiana. the century has a nice steel core wrapped in fiberglas on the mounting flange, where the clamps go. its got a nice plastic lip on the rear bottom of the window, and a rubbber flap inside of that to seal it off really well. mine didnt' have all the bells and whistles either, just the front slider, full side glass with rear tip out/screen, interior light. the place puts on 6 clamps, runs the wiring to the battery with fuse, just doen't tap into something. i'll get a pic in a day or so. the old Leer i had on my 94, was not impressed with at all. the latches wore out over and over, the rear of it was pretty rough, had some separating,. that is why i wanted to try another one. the old leer was about 6 years old, i did like the way it looked though.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:05 PM

Good info everyone ! I got the OK from the wife to order one... I am going to shop around a few places just to make sure I get the best deal. I am going to get the 100 XQ.

Does anyone know how easy it is to install a locking rear tailgate...mine didnt come with one from the factory and I really wish I had one... any ideas?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:47 PM

This is a 100XL. I like the fold out rear windows as I do camp in the back a couple of times a year. would recommend getting the pull out rear window. It helps keep the back windows clean. I also got the carpet on the roof and dome light. It is all holding up well.

Make sure you get the THULE roof rack ( I work for Thule)

I had an ARE on my duramax it was nice with big beefy clamps. I heard that on LEER if you break a side window that peice of glass is as much as the shell is that is what I heard. So something to think about.
You ain't lying. Someone threw something through my back window last summer. It was $450 to replace.

I talked to a friend that installed a locking tailgate handle on his truck. He said it was pretty easy.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BR1
i just put a Century royale on mine. pretty good looking cap so far. just had it installed today. took 2 weeks. $1400.75 with tax installed, third brake light, interior light. dual latches in rear. i know that century and leer, and i think one other are all the same company, make in indiana. the century has a nice steel core wrapped in fiberglas on the mounting flange, where the clamps go. its got a nice plastic lip on the rear bottom of the window, and a rubbber flap inside of that to seal it off really well. mine didnt' have all the bells and whistles either, just the front slider, full side glass with rear tip out/screen, interior light. the place puts on 6 clamps, runs the wiring to the battery with fuse, just doen't tap into something. i'll get a pic in a day or so. the old Leer i had on my 94, was not impressed with at all. the latches wore out over and over, the rear of it was pretty rough, had some separating,. that is why i wanted to try another one. the old leer was about 6 years old, i did like the way it looked though.

I have the same one that I just took off of my 05 and it is getting painted to match my 06... Very nice... I haven't had any problems yet.. I paid $1200 with install...

Shane

Quick Reply: LEER truck caps