3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Keeping boost up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keeping boost up?

I'm sure it has been asked but i can't find anything in my search. i have a 6-speed and i need some ideas on how to keep my boost up from gear to gear don't know much about the fooler but does it help or fix my problem? also how hard would it be to change out my stick with an auto some time later down the road? and another thing is if i do a clutch will that help me? Thanks for the input.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

1. dont shift like a grandpa
2. no. the boost fooler works great w/ the smarty though
3. it would be easier to buy another truck instead of do the swap
4. depends on the clutch. if you went DD it might slow down your shifts unit you get a little better with it

brett
Old 11-22-2007, 04:37 PM

What kind of boost are you guys seeing? I have Quad race box and am seeing @ 34lbs max. Does that sound right? Keep your right foot planted on the floor when shifting, that'll keep it up
Old 11-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty on SW 1 with aftermarket injectors and stock TM program boost spikes up to 33~34 psi then settles back to around 30 psi.

Figures were the same when I ran SW 3 and stock as well.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The trick for me during towing is shifting near the red line, especially climbing a grade. Seems like the rpms hangs momentarily near the red line and helps with the torque.

MikeyB
Old 11-22-2007, 06:50 PM
tcr

Switching your 6er for an auto?!?!

All you boys from them there Leander parts granny shift, I have to drive around you all the time!
Just bustin' your marbles Eric
Old 11-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FullSize2500
What kind of boost are you guys seeing? I have Quad race box and am seeing @ 34lbs max. Does that sound right? Keep your right foot planted on the floor when shifting, that'll keep it up
Need to fill out your sig so we know what truck you have - it makes a difference in how much boost you should see

Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
Smarty on SW 1 with aftermarket injectors and stock TM program boost spikes up to 33~34 psi then settles back to around 30 psi.

Figures were the same when I ran SW 3 and stock as well.
You would benefit greatly from a boost fooler. Would put you around the 40psi mark.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by FullSize2500
i don't know what the other guys are running but 34psi sounds high to me only because i have only hit 28 one time that is the highest i have ever hit. not sure why i'm not getting higher.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by tcr
Switching your 6er for an auto?!?!

All you boys from them there Leander parts granny shift, I have to drive around you all the time!
Just bustin' your marbles Eric
you can kiss my . anyway i need help so give me a call when you get a chance. i am thinking about changing out the hand shaker for a built auto after i can get another truck for pulling. my red one will be my strip toy. how bad is it on the truck / clutch "stock clutch" to not let out of the throttle when shifting?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 PM
tcr

Do you have a boost elbow? If not then get one. Also, shifting higher near redline does help alot(quickly). Give me a call tomorrow, I'll be hunting, then working. I should be free for lunch if you have the time.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM

If your only hitting 28psi with a SMARTY you need a boost elbow. Mine is set to around 32psi and definitely helps with the EGTs and power.

MikeyB
Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by tcr
Do you have a boost elbow? If not then get one. Also, shifting higher near redline does help alot(quickly). Give me a call tomorrow, I'll be hunting, then working. I should be free for lunch if you have the time.
can't i also do something to my waste gate to help out?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 PM

updated sig
Old 11-23-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
can't i also do something to my waste gate to help out?
The boost elbow is the wastegate control for the turbo. A cheap solution is to block the hose off but don't want to overboost the turbo, it's only good to 35psi, any higher will eventually kill the turbo due to the extreme heat buildup.

MikeyB
Old 11-23-2007, 07:17 AM

To try it out just put a small set of vise grips wraped in tape on the boost line operating the wastegate...the little blue or black hose going onto the turbo....BD Power has a short shifter kit that everyone loves. Stick with a single disc clutch if you upgrade....Your tranny will hold more power than Zeus so stick with it ....all trucks have an rpm where they shift better under power....you just haven't found it but the short shift kit will help as having that long throw just slows you down unless you have lightening fast orangutang arms.KS

Quick Reply: Keeping boost up?