3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just ordered my smarty

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered my smarty

So I just ordered a smarty for the 05 dodge that I bought. I'll probably have a learning curve with all of the options that it seems to have for the common rails, as the one I have for my 2nd gen is a simply plug and play dummy box. I opted for the regular smarty instead of the POD since I don't want to try to mount a full size smarty somewhere.

My question I had is when I bought the truck it came with a tst powermax already in it. As of now the truck is pretty much stock so I'm sure stacking them wouldn't be a good idea, but I should be fine just setting the tst to 0 and running the smarty correct?

I don't know much yet about the common rails as I've spent most of my time on my 2nd gen, but I'm pretty excited. I hope the smart really is as awesome on these trucks as I keep reading about. I know I love it on my 2nd gen as it really wakes the truck up down low.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM

throw the tst in the garbage, or sell it dont use it stacked with the smarty IMO.some people do use them, but every time i see a melted piston , motor, ect, a TST is envolved.youll love the smarty, and if anything add a pressure box.good luck.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mulisha
throw the tst in the garbage, or sell it dont use it stacked with the smarty IMO.some people do use them, but every time i see a melted piston , motor, ect, a TST is envolved.youll love the smarty, and if anything add a pressure box.good luck.
I'll probably just turn it off for now and use the monitor until I get real gauges.

I can't say much about the melted pistons because my 02 has all new pistons in it right now. I can't say the smarty caused it, but the possibility is there. Either way I'm still a fan of the smarty and have it loaded on the truck right now. I can't wait until the one for my 05 comes in!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if the TST is an R49 I would keep it. Your right about stacking on a stock truck, don't do it. I use my R49 for the cool down timer and egt/boost gauge. I also stack it for the track, and it is always fall back in case I want to remove the Smarty. Besides it is too much trouble to remove. LOL
Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM

how did you blow a motor up tray, what were you doing, settings ect.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

To be honest I'm not sure if it's an r47 or a 49. I'm assuming it's a 47 as there is nothing I've seen to show what it is on the chip. I haven't had much of a chance to look at anything yet though so it might tell me somewhere. It was simply on the truck when I purchased it.

To mulisha, I was just doing general light driving at the time. Smarty on 2 and the edge on 3. I really don't think the problem was caused by the smarty, or I wouldn't still be running one. It all started when I took my truck to a dealer over a simple oil leak coming from a vacuum pump seal.. but thats another story...