3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just installed an airdog 150 on a 04.5

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed an airdog 150 on a 04.5

First off if you have a 04.5 prepare to do some cutting/drilling/grinding on the mounting bracket, there is a factory bracket welded to the frame rail that is in the way, never the less 3 hours to install is incorrect.Called Toby,he said they over build the bracket... for the cutting/drilling/grinding for a 04.5, it would have been nice to know this before all the work to the bracket . I was only able to drive arount the block, truck ran fine, shut it off and now the check engine light is on and it did not want to start . My origanal lift pump has 101000 miles and it was still going strong, truck would start always very easy, now I have an issue with a brand new pump...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:43 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the codes......may be a connector or something else you were in contact with while under there. Doesn't mean it is the new pump. Still could be, but double check everything first. To check codes, turn key from off to on ( not cranking) 3 times ending in the on position. Codes will read out in the odo screen.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 PM

I feel for you. I had the same problem. You can look in my gallery and see what I did. After my tranny is in I will cut and weld the bracket and get rid if that pinch plate thing.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 PM

just checked for a code

here it is P0628 I have no idea what it is ??
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

P0628 Low Voltage Detected At The Fuel Lift Pump Relay

O.K. so you could be right! Sounds like a wiring issue. How was it supposed to be wired in? Using the factory wiring? If not, there is your code problem.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Wow! Sorry about that! Here is a link to the wiki code list here on DTR.

http://wiki.dieseltruckresource.com/wiki/Computer_codes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 PM

low voltage at the lift pump,thanks. I am thinking its the heat plug, I will plug it back in tomorow morning and report. Toby the tech at pureflow told me to unplug the power plug going to the factory lift pump on the backside of the filter canister and then the fuel heat plug on the front side of the canister, then there is the water in fuel plug at the bottom of the canister, he said some you can leave plugged in some not , I left that one alone, since there was fuel still in the canister it should make the water in fuel dash light stay off, and it did, so thats why I am thinking its the fuel heat plug, well see...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
P0628 Low Voltage Detected At The Fuel Lift Pump Relay

O.K. so you could be right! Sounds like a wiring issue. How was it supposed to be wired in? Using the factory wiring? If not, there is your code problem.
How ironic, low voltage at the lift pump after 100,000 miles I have been waiting for this code to show up and it decides to show after I unhook the pump to upgrade it,
Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

So.....do you just plug it in to the factory wiring, or did yo uwire up a different relay? As long as you ise the factory lift pump wiring to trigger the relay it shouldn't set a code.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vzdude
As long as you ise the factory lift pump wiring to trigger the relay it shouldn't set a code.

BINGO!!! thats how I installed mine...the instructions tell you to wire it on soon as the key turns on but then the pump would run just sitting there

I wired my BLACK wire on the airdog harness directly to my stock lift pump trigger(orange with red tracer on my 06)..pump runs just like stock now
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM

Mark, when are you gonna get the full write up posted?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by cgmorgan06
Mark, when are you gonna get the full write up posted?
I will start working on it now...but it may take a couple hours to gather it all up for the post..
Old 12-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Get r dun Mark! lol.... I will be installing one in my truck in a couple weeks.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
BINGO!!! thats how I installed mine...the instructions tell you to wire it on soon as the key turns on but then the pump would run just sitting there

I wired my BLACK wire on the airdog harness directly to my stock lift pump trigger(orange with red tracer on my 06)..pump runs just like stock now
ok , so I leave the heat plug unplugged ? I have the single red wire going to the engine fuse box when the ignition key is on, the pump runs constant without the engine started,or should I run the red wire to one of the 2 wires that went to the factory lift pump motor ? or leave the red wire at the fuse box and run the black wire to one of the factory lift pump wires ?

With the pump running constant before starting, could this be the hard starting issue ?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by quick1300r
ok , so I leave the heat plug unplugged ? I have the single red wire going to the engine fuse box when the ignition key is on, the pump runs constant without the engine started,or should I run the red wire to one of the 2 wires that went to the factory lift pump motor ? or leave the red wire at the fuse box and run the black wire to one of the factory lift pump wires ?

With the pump running constant before starting, could this be the hard starting issue ?
my install was on a 06 so I dont know if it is different on your 04.5....
the only wires I hooked up on the airdog harness were the "black" trigger wire and the "red" and "green" battery wires......I left EVERYTHING else hooked up...my water separator is still hooked up just like stock..electrical and fuel lines...but my stock cp3 supply line has been leaking so I bought a plug to cap it off at the stock water separator....

Quick Reply: Just installed an airdog 150 on a 04.5