3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just finished installing Flares!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do these trucks produce fairly good interior heat? I heard that if they are not working the heater will not put out.
Oh, just to let you know one of the guys here at the plant said he already got his parking permit for Kakwa and their is a ton of snow, but the ice on the lake is very thin.

Paul
Old 11-25-2006, 10:53 AM

I don't run a winter front either, and just the factory high idle. Usually it heat up fine but in this cold, it barely moved the needle of the temp guage, the truck wasn't icey cold inside, but it wasn't hot it was bareable for a Canadian.This morning was -25 and I took my daughter to ringette, and I just parked out of the wind and left it running , when we came back it was toasty warm. Yesterday I was parked in the Earl's parking lot and the wind was howling pretty good.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:50 PM

In these past couple days we have had some low temps similar to you guys, and the heat on the hiway has sucked big time. I have installed a Grillz cold front, and man what a difference. Truck will maintain temps on the hiway now and warms up quicker and seems to maintain heat while idling. Mines been running since yesterday @ 6am. Mind you I knew I was only gonna get about 3 hours of sleep last night!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:57 PM

Here is a pic of the cold front!
Attached Thumbnails Just finished installing Flares!-img_0852.jpg   Just finished installing Flares!-img_0854.jpg  
Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longhorn06
Here is a pic of the cold front!
That actually looks pretty sweet, How does it stay in? Could you pull part of it out for towing. How much was that? Duhh... , I'm a real bonehead, I had seen those around, never actually clued in they might be functional....I had seen them with flames and designs and just figured they were for looks.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by dirt
Do these trucks produce fairly good interior heat? I heard that if they are not working the heater will not put out.
Oh, just to let you know one of the guys here at the plant said he already got his parking permit for Kakwa and their is a ton of snow, but the ice on the lake is very thin.

Paul
Hmmm... the link to what I read...I guess take it with a grain of salt...kakwa restriction
Old 11-25-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Demodude
That actually looks pretty sweet, How does it stay in? Could you pull part of it out for towing. How much was that? Duhh... , I'm a real bonehead, I had seen those around, never actually clued in they might be functional....I had seen them with flames and designs and just figured they were for looks.
There are small stainless bolts that run through the front to a threaded piece of metal (like a nut) that attaches to the inside of the grill. Small locknut behind so that it cant fall off (or get stolen in the parking lot). All 4 pieces are individual so you could run with any number in or out, but I have now run it from -26 to about +4 and my heat was a little high above zero, but not bad enough to pull over and take some out. Yea the flames and such...not real functional (this is the winter front) they also have summer fronts for bugs with out the funky designs. I wanted black, but all recalled. Price was about $96.00. I could have gotten it a little cheaper, but I was in a pickle and needed one quick. My dealer would have gotten it for around $76 but had to wait too long.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Just for fun I turned the smarty up to #9 and went for a boot around town. Truck ran good, power came on a little sooner, hard to tell how hard it pulls with the roads covered in snow and ice. High idle works fine, it still runs smooth. I'm driving in 4X4 full time and it doesn't feel any touchier than before. Went to the local dealer to see if he had winter front's , and they don't sell them. I'm going to leave it on 9 for awhile and see how it is for a daily driver.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:46 PM

You should be ok,, watch for rattle from too much advance on the ignition. How are you setup for guages demo? Oh and that cabin, I have been there many a time, it is beautiful, what the guys are doing are running around the lake for now till it completely freezes. in the spring we just go over lake even if it is a little open, sleds go over open water no problem

Kevin
Old 11-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Demodude
Just for fun I turned the smarty up to #9 and went for a boot around town. Truck ran good, power came on a little sooner, hard to tell how hard it pulls with the roads covered in snow and ice. High idle works fine, it still runs smooth. I'm driving in 4X4 full time and it doesn't feel any touchier than before. Went to the local dealer to see if he had winter front's , and they don't sell them. I'm going to leave it on 9 for awhile and see how it is for a daily driver.
Demo

Keep us updated on the #9. I am going to order a smarty and tow a snow machine trailer full of tools (not toys((darn)). But it is fairly heavy and I was towing it with my 05 and had CrazyLarry without any major problems so I am curious how my new truck will hold up to that much power. I would probably leave it on 7 or so without timing????

Thanks Shane
Old 11-25-2006, 11:01 PM

I'm having guages installed next week at NADP. Just getting the single digital with pyro, boost and tranny, installed on the A pillar.I haven't had any timing rattle at all out of the truck. I'm suprised, even when the truck is cold. Right now in these temps I'd be suprised if you could get the tranny temps to register.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:38 PM

Those pocket style ones look awesome, where did you find them locally?

I'm in Edmonton as well.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM

I got them at Custom truck accessorieshttp://www.customtruckpartsinc.com/
Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 PM

Hey Demo, when you go into nadp, tell craig or fester that you have been talking to me,, see if they give you a deal. Not sure if they will, but they told me to send people their way. Just tell them Kevin from Grande Prairie sent you......

kevin
Old 11-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Just did a read through on this thread, good to see some fellow Albertans here. I'm not too far away, up towards Fort Mcmurray, from a little town called Wandering River.

Sweet looking truck there Demodude, love the flares. I have been thinking about a set of them. Nice to see some pics though, my truck is the same color but I have a Q/C long box.

It's been really cold up here -30c, but I went and bought a winterfront that goes behind the grill and covers the whole rad/cooler assembly, and have sure been happy with it. I find my 6 speed does'nt make too much heat idling, but I installed the high idle and it makes a huge difference.

We didn't have too much snow up here until just a couple days ago, and just before that I lent my sled to my brother to go to the mountains

Quick Reply: Just finished installing Flares!