3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

just bought my smarty

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought my smarty

I'm excited. Well my credit card isnt. Just ordered smarty, banks cold air and hi ram intakes and isspro gauge kit. I should have everything this week except gauges, they come in next monday. I'm going to be tempted to try out the smarty without gauges. Anyone have any suggestions? What setting should be my max setting? Can my stock truck handle the 90hp increase? I have read that smarty brings egt's up pretty high, what max egt should i watch for. I don't tow anything now so im thinking i should be ok. What max boost should i watch out for?

Jim
Old 02-19-2007, 12:14 PM

well, with that you ought to consider the future...tranny. i wouldnt consider egt's until you can run it high enough with the tranny. If you run it in 6+ your tranny will be toast.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 PM

Be EASY on your tranny or you will toast it. Most say dont go above level 5. Id get gauges right away. Most say over 1200 is overkill EGT wise but I think over 1300-1400 is more realistic. Also make sure you have some miles on the truck (around 6k).
Old 02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

i ran mine on #7 for 10k+ and still no problems. i did back it down to 5 when i updated the trq managment. and a DTT tranny is in my near future so i dont need to worry about tearing it up. id try 5 and go from there. i think 3 is as high as it recommends on a stock tranny and 5 is for the 6 speeds. have fun

brett
Old 02-19-2007, 12:26 PM

ya gauge kit is on the way. I am not planning to romp in this truck hard. Maybe just a little if someone gets smart at a red light. Just some extra hp to make it more fun and responsive. oh yeah and from what i hear smarty has a setting for improved fuel efficency
Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 PM

anybody else with stock truck with smarty? What settings do you use, does your tranny slip or get hot unloaded?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Its all in your right foot if you toast your tranny. I am driving on level 9 but dont hammer it and you will be fine. But I also have tranny in the near future and also aftermarket turbo. On a stock truck stick with the lower level if you cant control yourself

Bill
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by JVRAM07
ya gauge kit is on the way. I am not planning to romp in this truck hard. Maybe just a little if someone gets smart at a red light. Just some extra hp to make it more fun and responsive. oh yeah and from what i hear smarty has a setting for improved fuel efficency
u say u wont romp it now......wait till u get the power! trust me. it never works out that way. Why buy 180hp if ur not gonna use it? doesnt make sense. Might as well buy 65hp chip. just my .02 At 1st I bought xzt and said Im not going to do anything else. Now Im workin on 500hp and counting
Old 02-19-2007, 02:13 PM

well you never know whats in store for the future, but for now with only 4k mile on it and a used up line of credit, i will take it easy untill i get some breathing room. I mostly got the smarty for the stealth of it, If it weren't for that i would probably be getting an edje with juice for the safety features. It will be nice to literally smoke somebody off the light ocasionally. Its my first new truck and first diesel so yes i am a noob. Thats why i come here, for advice and tips. You think she will roast the tires on a lower setting? Stock i only can get a little chirp. My old dodge with 318 in it wouldnt spin the tires in the rain.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by JVRAM07
well you never know whats in store for the future, but for now with only 4k mile on it and a used up line of credit, i will take it easy untill i get some breathing room. I mostly got the smarty for the stealth of it, If it weren't for that i would probably be getting an edje with juice for the safety features. It will be nice to literally smoke somebody off the light ocasionally. Its my first new truck and first diesel so yes i am a noob. Thats why i come here, for advice and tips. You think she will roast the tires on a lower setting? Stock i only can get a little chirp. My old dodge with 318 in it wouldnt spin the tires in the rain.
it should more than likely roast them. U could always powerbrake . IDK b/c I have a 6 speed.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 35" 05'
it should more than likely roast them. U could always powerbrake . IDK b/c I have a 6 speed.
seems like when i try it, the brakes hold on too hard, rear disk brakes. Maybe i just don't know what im doing. lol i suck at being a Edit
Old 02-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by one54ton
Also make sure you have some miles on the ruck (around 6k).
Why is that? i've almost got 1K on and am planning to throw the smarty on as soon as i can figure out how to get the software downloaded. Is it to soon?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Heston_ram3500
Why is that? i've almost got 1K on and am planning to throw the smarty on as soon as i can figure out how to get the software downloaded. Is it to soon?
i would assume it is so you can see if the factory built you a lemon.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

i used a super chip when mine had 500 miles and got rid of it around 4k miles. smarty for the last 10k+ and zero problems. i say go for it but what do i know

brett
Old 02-19-2007, 03:57 PM

Your trans will prolly not get hot when playing with SMARTY unless your towing. I am still on my stock tranny, but SMAARTY on 5 now will wlip it. SMARTY 9 causaed that, and for the most part I was easy on it...

Quick Reply: just bought my smarty