3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Injector noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector noise?

I need some advice. You can see what I am running in the sig. I am getting what sounds like a lot of injector rattle. It sounds almost like a gas motor with too much timing. It is especially noise right when I roll into the throttle. Since it is in a Ford, I am getting some codes. But, none relating to fuel pressure. Could it be the FCA? How do I check that for possible failure?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The only time I've heard that is when you have too much timing. I have never heard it with just a smarty, but I did when I tried to stack an edge and a smarty many moons ago. Try taking the smarty down on timing and see what happens.

As far as the FCA, if you unplug it you should see max rail pressure. That's the only way I know how to test the FCA.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:26 PM

So, I took the Smarty jr out. Programmed in the Edge to level three. Now, at cold start the engine surges. Rail pressure fluctuates from 6.3K to about 7.8K. It smooths out after it warms up and hovers right around 6.4K. Which is about 1.4K above the idle pressure when the Smarty jr was set at level 3. Still think the FCA is on its way out?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you stacking programmers?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 AM

No, I took the smarty out before I installed the edge. I'm actually getting ready to sell the smarty jr so I can buy a smarty
Old 12-27-2015, 11:06 PM

i know you aint getting any fuel codes, but what is your fuel pressure? are you blowing unburnt fuel outta your exhaust? also if you are gonna get a smarty, i would go with a udc tune or get the HP tune.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 AM

Rail pressure? It's between 6200 and 8000. It looks like it is burning it. No black smoke.
I have a lot to learn about the Smarty. It's my understanding that it gives the user a lot more to tune with. Meaning you can change more individual parameters that you can with the other tuners. Is that correct?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:41 AM

no not rail pressure. fuel pressure, before it gets to your cp3. unburnt fuel is white, not black.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:55 PM

No smoke at all. I don't know the LP pressure. No gauge. The AirDog has less than 300 miles on it and is not a month old. So, I think the LP pressure is good.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 AM

did you ever test your fca like said before?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

He did, and it went to 26k.

Do you have the smarty/edge off the truck? Stock tune?

I'm trying to think about what happens when the ECM talks to the injectors. Assuming this is an injector issue, I'd start with pulling the injector harnesses and cleaning them, check the torque on your delivery tubes while you're at it. I'd even go as far as to pull the valve cover off and ensure none of your electrical lines were pinched, and they are correctly attached. For good measure, I'd pull your rail pressure sensor and clean that too.

Clean your grounds, not just at the battery, but at the engine as well.

I'd also get on a creeper with a flashlight and go under the truck and inspect from underneath. Reach up and touch stuff, shake it a little. I was having a squealing noise that I couldn't find for the life of me, I thought it was motor going bad or a bearing... turned out to be an exhaust clamp.

I'd also take everything out of my truck that I could and see if that changes anything. Sometimes you'll get a noise from something when the engine is under a certain load and produces a specific vibration.

To recap, I'd take the truck totally back to a stock tune, I'm thinking timing or duration in the tune could be an issue. From there, I'd check connections and clean grounds. Then the rest.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

What were the other codes you had?

It might be a rail pressure sensor.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:40 PM

I'll repull codes and let you know what I find out. I'll also remove all of the tunes and see what changes I notice. Right now I only have the Edge. It is set on level three right now. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remove ALL tuners. Then start from that.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:57 AM

Well. Pulled codes this morning. Several came up. Iwill list them at the end of this post. It surged for about five minutes and them smoothed out. Backed it down the drive way. Dropped it into Drive and it died. Started it and repeated three times. I am going to remove all the tuners and put it back to stock.
Here are the codes that were stored in the ECM this morning
088- Fuel rail pressure too high
0628-Fuel pump control circuit too low
0251- Injection pump fuel valve Feedback
1652- J1850 Communication Bus
0483 Cooling Fan Speed
2127 -APPS circuit 2 voltage too low
2509- ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent
I am charging the batteries now. However, the charger is telling me they are in pretty good shape . I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the feedback and help.

Quick Reply: Injector noise?