3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Industrial turbo, oil in the intercooler. How long do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Industrial turbo, oil in the intercooler. How long do i have?

I recently returned to America after being gone for 3 years. My family took care of my truck while I was gone. I replaced the belt tensioner today and found a substantial amount of oil in the downstream pipe from my industrial injection silver 62. This turbo has less than 15k miles on it, mostly highway, with very little riffraff along the way. I have for years been, and shall remain disappointed in Industrial Injection. I have had a plan to upgrade for a while, but I need to wait to do it right financially. What are your thoughts on (1) can it be daily driven until I can upgrade? (2) what type of failure am I looking at when it happens?
Thanks all.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. Pull it and have it rebuilt. I would also clean the CAC real good. That excess oil can cause a runaway being as you don't know how long it has been doing this. How is the air filter and the oil return? If the oil return is kinked it can cause oil to come past the seal and if the air filter is clogged, it can do the same.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:56 PM

Air filter is AEM dry flow, and its clean. Oil return looks good. I'm deploying again soon, and I'm hoping it holds out until then. It's still running good, and I'm trying to drive it as little as possible until I can fix it. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:39 AM

Hello all!

Didn"t want to start a new post but it look that I have a similar problem on mine...

Since a few weeks I have oil dripping into my driveway and it looks like it coming from the big tube next to the oil filter.

Do I have to replace or rebuilt my little 341 oem turbo?

Soory for my english writting...I'm french
Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
962... Bonjour Mon Ami,

If the problem is indeed your turbo, (oil leaking from turbo down into the intake ducting) then the turbo does need rebuilding. This is something you will want to identify and correct right away.

If your truck is largely stock and you wish to keep it that way, then just rebuild your existing turbo. If you plan on anything more, your stock turbo is near its limits already and you should look at upgrading. The old swap to the HE 351 is a popular one if you can find one. Otherwise something like a super B or a 62mm compressor turbo is appropriate.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Hello soolezoo,

I had a very busy week-end and i didn't had time for answering you... thanks for the info.

I'm not planning to get big numbers and upgrades but if a have to replace the turbo, i might go for something a bit bigger...

Does it worth getting a Reman HE351CW from eBay or should i go for a super B or killer B for an extra 1000$

Regards
Old 09-29-2014, 12:36 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A bit bigger turbo will not give you any benefit if you are staying at stock power or even just a little higher. A super B is fine, you do not need the killer B.

For your circumstance I would go with the HE351. The caveat there is ensuring it is a quality unit. I always have reservations about what comes off of e-bay. Make sure it is at least a reputable seller.

Good Luck!

by the way... how is it the French guy misspells the French name? (Hello soolezoo)
Old 09-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

before you have greater failure down the road get the turbo rebuilt now so it isn't spitting oil. better to be safe then sorry.