3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I think turbo is howling/crying

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think turbo is howling/crying

Only when under load, and pulling a load (22ft toy hauler) does it sound like a cat howling or a baby crying. Pitch goes up and down with throttle position/RPM. I think it is the turbo only because it sounds to me like it is coming from that side of the engine compartment. No smoke or leaks. Once i hear it, i tend to back off on the throttle, so i don't really know if there is any power loss or not.
Questions:
* Is that in fact the turbo? Anyone heard of that symptom/sound before?
*If it is the turbo, what would be a good replacement? Truck has been Smarty-ed with i think level 5 out of 9. not a hot rod-er, the toy hauler is pretty much the biggest load on it.
*should i get an upgrade to accommodate a higher level on the Smarty (down the road)?
* Or should i keep with stock? Or even rebuild the one i have?

Thanks for looking
Rob
Old 08-17-2018, 03:12 PM

Since no one has reply-ed, I'm wondering, could anything else be making that noise? Me thinking it was the turbo is just a guess. I suppose it could be anything. Just looking to see if anyone has experienced that kind of noise before.

Thanks again
Rob
Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I would look for the CAC connection hoses being bad or a loose clamp. Automatic or manual transm?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:03 PM

Auto trans. Am i looking for a crack big enough that i can see? Or do i have to pressure test it? Probably easier to just replace huh? Can you recommend a CAC hose manufacturer that i can get in a few days (internet)?

Thanks
Rob
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Well you are lucky, Have someone you trust power brake it for you enought to get the boost up a little than listen for the squeal. Do not power brake it for more than 15 seconds at a time as you do not want to burn the transm. up.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 PM

Lucky? I sweat over auto trans. I got them in everything i own. Every time i get an up-shift that bangs a little, or a down shift that clunks a bit, i break out in a cold sweat thinking "this is it !!! " .

Have you heard a leaking CAC hose? You said squeal, like a belt slipping?? This is not like that. Think of a cat in the early morning howling. or a baby. Not a high pitch. Sorry for being a bit ****, i got to try and get this fixed before a trip in 3 weeks.

I figure IF it is something in the intake, and it develops, all that mess will wind up in the engine. And naturally, i'll be at the farthest point from my house when it happens.