3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How well does TST stack with Crazy Larry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How well does TST stack with Crazy Larry?

Hey All...

Has anybody out there stacked a Crazy Larry Bully Dog Downloader with their TST?

If so how did it work out? Any Detonation? At what Level on the TST does Detonation Occur?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 PM

TST/CLDL stack

Send your TST in for the user adjusted timing and you may be able to use up to the Performance level on your CLDL and most probably a 5/1 or 5/2 would be the most you'd get out of the TST in that stack. Are you running an auto or hand shaker?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:07 PM

like out of here said you will get some timing rattle out of the stack. people do it though with good results also. just use the tst in moderation especially in the te setting with the cl.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

Awesome... I played with it a little bit on 2/1 with the CL and didn't notice any odd noise, but just stepping the TST to 2/1 and the CL made a HUGE difference over just CL.

I have been meaning to send my TST in for the Upgrade to Timing adjust. How does the TST add performance if you take away it's ability to adjust timing? That's my only question.

I will have to remember to not get carried away for right now.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:13 AM

The tst/CL stack is awesome. I like it alot better than the tst/mp8. Alot more power on the bottom end. I have the tst on 5/2. On the way back from Michigan I ran with the Bully Dog on tow/ tst on 1x0, and got 19.8mpg hand calculated. By far the best milage I have ever got out of my truck.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Timinva just dyno'd his with that stack and if you run the CL you can probably only go up to 2/2 on the TST before you start losing power......
Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 AM

You've got it wrong brother,....

Originally Posted by Warlord
Awesome... I played with it a little bit on 2/1 with the CL and didn't notice any odd noise, but just stepping the TST to 2/1 and the CL made a HUGE difference over just CL.

I have been meaning to send my TST in for the Upgrade to Timing adjust. How does the TST add performance if you take away it's ability to adjust timing? That's my only question.

I will have to remember to not get carried away for right now.
You are NOT taking away the TST's ability to make timing you are getting to adj the timing to exactly what your truck needs and like I said they are all a bit different. YOU adj the timing with this new feature. I believe you will have six settings of 3* each to add or lessen timing with whatever your stacked with and since whatever you stack it with is different with their own timing etc., then you need the ability to zero in on the right mix. Got it?

Also on this te adj where most of us are getting it finally,.... tks to Richard from Glacier Diesel who has been promoting this for a long time,.... you don't dry up your CP3 at the low end wot and you have some ***** left for the top end,... at least more than you would have. The te is the ticket with the TST,... less is better!!!! Glad you and others are enjoying it now. Super!!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:18 AM

with this tst program is it the twins program or normal program? because i just ordered the tst with and was wondering if i i could stack tst with twins program with bddl or possibly put it on CL.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
DTR Advertiser

I dynoed 447/880 with just the cl, added the tst with 06 twins tune on 3/1 and went 517/989. I have tried the mp-8 and ez on the tst neither would break 500hp. The cl/tst makes 100ftlbs more tq than any other stack I have tried. At 4/1 I lost power and made a lot more heat. This is with a htb2/12 turbo but that is all other than removing the cat from the stock exhaust. I do get a little timing rattle at about 2k rpm with this stack. Tim
Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 AM

Impressive numbers Tim!!

Old 06-16-2006, 12:52 PM

It is so funny how the trucks differ from one to the other. I can do over 500 with the TST alone! I am really considering what a little "tow" download with torque management killer would do for my 575ish I have now with only TST "twins" / MP-8 "stack".
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM

cquestad,

I think you should give it a try. I know another guy that is trying the same thing but with an sp diesel box on his 04.5 after riding in my truck. In the past I wasn't a fan of downloaders but I'm hooked now. I don't know if it is just my truck that acts this way but I would take my BD over the tst right now.

Those are awesome numbers Tim! I haven't been on a dyno yet and Ive been running around with the tst on 5x2. I will turn it down and see if I get better results like you did.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Well... I got my answer to this Question Friday Night...

W/O the Edge EZ - With CL and TST on 2/1 - I went 13.83 @ 99.52mph.

I was absolutely extatic....

Now I HAVE to have a fuel system... I guess while I'm doing that I will send the TST in to get it upgraded.

Thanx Guys!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:44 PM

I worked a little with TST and pressed them to add this. It is fully adjustable in that you can adjust the static timing from 0-18 deg in 3 degree increments, or the auto setting and set a high limit and let the pcm handle it from there. I really have not had much of a chance to play with this. The limit on auto mode is 12 degrees.
---------------------
For example, if I select manual advance in 'Set' mode with the truck running and I continue to bump the timing up you will actually hear the difference. If one were going for max fuel ecomony, this is a possibility. Kind of like Rokktech, but more sophisticated.

On the other hand if you feel there is too much rattle for your liking, you can limit the amount of total advance by changing from 12 to 9 etc. in auto mode.

I have a theory that the timing is not an issue with the Bully Dog product as it intercepts the timing signal. Thereafter, the TST box handles all timing functions seperate from the PCM. This is just an educated theory. After asking the engineers at Bully Dog, they said that it would be safe in all modes, including CL. I don't know for certain. Need some software to see what is actually happening.

In my experience, the TST twins stacked with the BDDL is too much and will hit the rail too hard early on. The Te setting is the real culprit as others have often indicated. I will be updating to the regular twins or even the regular program, or even wait for their newer ideas to become available; like switching between programs. Could be soon.

Lucas, congratulations again on your impressive numbers. That truck is a beast! Of course, you DO have Scary Larry!!

Chris
Old 06-18-2006, 04:54 PM

Thanks Chris!!

I'm very happy with it. Next week Ill try again. I put the stacks on yesterday so hopefully they won't make me leave. lol I have just the regular tst program and have had no trouble running the two stacked. Your right on the Te setting being the big factor. Im going to try adding some pressure after talking to several that found that the CL doesn't add very much pressure if any.

Yes I have the SCARRY Larry. BTW, If you want the Scary Larry you can't just go to your local dealer and ask for the 2.2.9 version like some have said. That is NOT what I have.

Quick Reply: How well does TST stack with Crazy Larry?