3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hooking XZT to commander ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooking XZT to commander ?'s

Just installed my Commander and I have a few questions about hooking my XZT to it.

1. - According to the instructions, the only wires that connect to the XZT are to the harness under the hood using the blue wire taps. Is this it?

2. - On the commander I selected XZT, and while I can toggle through the three power levels, I can't feel ant difference in power, it feels the same as when i had just the XZT installed. I was under the impression that you could lower the power levels or turn the XZT off.

3. I also installed the fuel pressure kit. Very nice.

Anybody have a wiring diagram? The only one I can find on the Quad site is for the standard or race modules.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 PM

You have two wire from the commander that T-tap into the XZT. One is the blue wire on the MAP and the other is a green. I am sure but just asking, You did plug the XZT into the Commander? Check the led light on the XZT and see if they change when you change power levels.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Where do I plug the XZT to? The only plugs on the XZT harness are for the MAP and Fuel Pressure on the engine.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Coming out of the XZT module is a plug. This is the plug you plug into the commander harness.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Maybe I need a different harness? The only plug i have on my XZT are the two that hook to the engine.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:13 PM

I think you have the right harness. I think I said it wrong. the plug that plugs into the module has a connector that plugs to the commander harness. If you want I will go look.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:21 PM

Ok now, At the end of the harness were the module plus into the harness there is a black wire and white wire with a connector on it. This connector plugs into a black wire and a white wire that goes to the commander harness.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:22 PM

I did not think the XZT Standard was programmable for shifting on the fly.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 PM

u r right.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:37 PM

You can adjust the XZT ( on the fly) only through the Commander.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:46 PM

The Commander harness should have a couple connectors kind of in a wye configuration. Unplug the XZT harness from the box, connect the plug on the Commander harness to the module, then connect the XZT harness to the other plug on the Commander. That should do it.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 PM

I will try to post some pics, but my XZT harness does not have a plug with a black and a white wire coming out of it. I will try to give quad a call tommorow and see what they have to say.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM

The instructions that come with the Commander are vague when it comes to hooking up modules. If they included a simple wiring diagram it would make things much easier.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the earlier XZT's did not have the connector for the commander. Quad offered a low cost way to send them back to have the wiring change done to hook to the Commander. Call Quad Monday AM and I would be willing to bet that yours does not have the required plug. Think all the new ones now have the connector. Mine was on an 04.5 and did not have the connector but while still under warranty think they wanted $25 to add it. You did have to send your module back for the change. Call with yoru serial number and ask Jereme or whoever you can get to talk to.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:58 PM

The connector you are looking for is near the 12 pin connector that goes into the module itself. Unless the XZT is really old it will have a 4" white and 4" black wire coming out of the 12 pin harness and into a 4 pin square, black connector. This is all on the XZT harness.

Then on the Commander harness there is a longer black and white wire that go into the mating 4 pin square, black connector. You take this connector and plug it into the other connector on the XZT harness.

Now, if it is really old like before the Commander existed at all then this port will not be present on the XZT harness. I have not seen one of those in a long while.

If that is the case though let me know and we will help you get it fixed up quickly.

Quick Reply: Hooking XZT to commander ?'s