3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
NIce job Dixie!!!!
I will keep you posted on the box and another little trick I came up with soon.

as far as performance goes it seems to spool the engine a little more freely and the EGT has gone down 75-90-degrees while cruising on the freeway. I have not had a chance to tow with this intake yet.

maybe I should do a dyno run with and without the intake to see what the gains really are

Mark

Awesome, my main thing is the lower EGT's. I hoping to install a deleted muffler and this air intake setup to lower my EGT's. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Very Nice work Gentlemen!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM

Is it louder that an AFE stage 2????
Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by W1cked
Is it louder that an AFE stage 2????
It's Cheaper that's for sure!! I have not heard a stage II AFE in person so I cant compare.
IMHO whistle seems to be related to the size of the intake tubing.
my intake is the same size as a AFE tubing and from the looks of it, mine may stay bigger longer then the AFE.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is 4" diameter from the filter to the turbo. I'm all about smooth air flow. Besides, anything bigger than 4" is just a waste and doesn't accomplish anything (except more turbulence and more noise). The turbo inlet is only a 4" diameter opening. Whether your intake tubing is 4" or 8" you're still only going to get 4 inch's diameter worth of air through the turbo.

Plenty of whistle too.

That is some VERY nice work though. I'm looking into replacing my BHAF filter with one of those Amsoil filters. I'm having a hard time getting CFM numbers out of Amsoil though so I don't really know which one to get.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Great job 53willys going to have to try that one day.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

Well, with all of the spending I have been doing, I needed an air intake. This piece looks like a winner, so I ordered the parts, and came out to $139.69.

Thanks for the write up, looks good, and hope it works well with my new upgrades: Stacked BDPP and TST R49AP, 392 Walbro, 4" downpipe.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
Well, with all of the spending I have been doing, I needed an air intake. This piece looks like a winner, so I ordered the parts, and came out to $139.69.

Thanks for the write up, looks good, and hope it works well with my new upgrades: Stacked BDPP and TST R49AP, 392 Walbro, 4" downpipe.
Sweet,
post up when you get it done and tell me how you like it.

Mark
Old 01-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Sweet,
post up when you get it done and tell me how you like it.

Mark

Will do. My truck has been down since Yesterday. Did the Walbro, brakes, and downpipe this weekend so far. TST on Monday. And then my intake when the parts get here....
Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM

Im gonna be ordering the parts to do this as well.. My question is, can those hose clamps be found at any auto parts place? Im sure I'll be needing some more. I looked at buying just the AFE air filter, instead of the amsoil, but the amsoil is still about $30 cheaper for essentially the same filter, so thats the way I will go. Thanks for the info 53 *****'s, and all the information on where to order the parts from.
Scott
Old 01-13-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseljunkie
Im gonna be ordering the parts to do this as well.. My question is, can those hose clamps be found at any auto parts place? Im sure I'll be needing some more. I looked at buying just the AFE air filter, instead of the amsoil, but the amsoil is still about $30 cheaper for essentially the same filter, so thats the way I will go. Thanks for the info 53 *****'s, and all the information on where to order the parts from.
Scott

Yes, you should be able to find clamps anywhere. I bet Napa has them for sure.
I am still running plain old cheap clamps on mine, if you use one of the clamps off the stock intake you don't have to buy ANY new ones because the Air filter from Amsoil has a clamp with it.
I like how Dixie chopper went with the nice T-clamps.

Post up when your done!!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you should be able to find clamps anywhere. I bet Napa has them for sure.
I am still running plain old cheap clamps on mine, if you use one of the clamps off the stock intake you don't have to buy ANY new ones because the Air filter from Amsoil has a clamp with it.
I like how Dixie chopper went with the nice T-clamps.

Post up when your done!!!!
Sup ******? Yea, I just ordered the clamps from the same place as the tubing(intake hoses.com). I think they were like 2.00 a piece. Didn't have to go to NAPA and try to find em. They look much stronger than what came on the amsoil filter. I wish I would've ordered an extra 6 inch for the filter but oh well.........
Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dixie Chopper
Sup ******? Yea, I just ordered the clamps from the same place as the tubing(intake hoses.com). I think they were like 2.00 a piece. Didn't have to go to NAPA and try to find em. They look much stronger than what came on the amsoil filter. I wish I would've ordered an extra 6 inch for the filter but oh well.........
What up Dixie I do like the T-clamps a lot better then the classic screw style clamps that I used.
For only $10 bucks more I could have t-clamps for the whole intake.
I will be changing mine to the t-clamps soon, you just talked me into it.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 PM

I havent even started this project yet, and you've talked me into the T clamps too
Scott
Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 PM

53 ****** - great description, thanks!

Dixie Chopper - how deep did you make the hole in the elbow to mount the sensor? I saw ****** said it best to not drill all the way through?

Also, does something like this void the warranty? I have a 2007 with 1,300 miles and the last thing I want to do right now is void my warranty...

Quick Reply: Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up