3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcol
So whats the alternative to welding for mounting the IAT?

this is what I was thinking....
Name:  alternatesensorlacation.jpg
Views: 7591
Size:  102.5 KB

I forgot to say don't drill the IAT sensor screws in so far that they go through to the inside
Old 12-27-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
is it louder than the K&N FIPK?

I gave my FIPK away yesterday - it was TOO loud - esp on road trips.
I'm sure it is as loud if not louder then your K&N, but I have never heard a K&N on a CTD.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:09 PM

here is a some CFM info but it's not for this filter it is for a small one and a bigger one. I still need to call and find out.

Afe stage II filters would fit this intake also.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulle...1_rev10_06.pdf
Old 12-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
is it louder than the K&N FIPK?

I gave my FIPK away yesterday - it was TOO loud - esp on road trips.
I had the AFE Stage II on before this K&N and the AFE was louder than the K&N...I HAD to get rid of it, it was just too loud. The K&N is pretty loud too, but more to my liking.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:56 PM

what ideas do you have for the box. I like your set-up, but want a way to have more of a cold intake. I think the box shields the endine hot air a lil bit.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:13 AM

The box should be pretty simple......just an aluminum box made to mount the same as stock air box. I think I will do a Lexan lid just because it looks cool
I think the stock box could be modded to work with this intake but I don't want to cut mine up so if someone trys this post pics so we can see how it works.

I have also been thinking about getting the SRT wind directer that fit's in the grill to help get some more cool air in their.

BTW I will also be adding a outerwears pre-filter.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Chapter President

53, Is that Amsoil filter a dry flow or do you have to oil it??
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 AM

Louder Turbo Sound!!!!!

I bought an AFE-ProGuard-7 cold air intake system for my '03. Removed the silencer ring & was pretty happy with the turbo sound.

Later, I "invested" in the AFE (metal) Torque Tube. I couldn't believe the difference in sound quality & volume. It now sounds like the intake system on an F-16. I've even had people walking down the street turn around to see what's coming down the road.

It seems to me that the stock intake tube has sound-deadening properties, in it. If those properties are removed & replaced with a metal tube, the sound is much louder. It's possible that the metal tube does not absorb the sound waves as much as the rubber tube. The metal bounces the waves & seems to almost amplify them.

If you want LOUD, the metal tube is the way to go.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 12-31-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by EQUIPPRO
53, Is that Amsoil filter a dry flow or do you have to oil it??

It's a Dry filter.

Originally Posted by Buffalo
I bought an AFE-ProGuard-7 cold air intake system for my '03. Removed the silencer ring & was pretty happy with the turbo sound.

Later, I "invested" in the AFE (metal) Torque Tube. I couldn't believe the difference in sound quality & volume. It now sounds like the intake system on an F-16. I've even had people walking down the street turn around to see what's coming down the road.

It seems to me that the stock intake tube has sound-deadening properties, in it. If those properties are removed & replaced with a metal tube, the sound is much louder. It's possible that the metal tube does not absorb the sound waves as much as the rubber tube. The metal bounces the waves & seems to almost amplify them.

If you want LOUD, the metal tube is the way to go.

Joe F.(Buffalo)

all the AFE intakes I looked at are plastic and they graduate down in size as you go to the turbo just like mine. (the AFE may even go smaller quicker then my set up) I dont think my rubber elbow's are going to muffle that much sound

I'm happy with the $85 bucks I spent.
I wish you could hear mine, I'm telling you it's LOUD!!

Mark
Old 12-31-2006, 11:58 AM

53 ******,

I believe that you are right about the 'new' AFE Torque Tubes being made of plastic. However, when I bought mine, they were metal.

The one I have has a rubber elbow that goes from the turbo intake to the bottom of the TT. Where the TT connects to the AFE filter mount, there is another rubber sleeve.

I'm not, at all, suggesting that your set-up doesn't sing beautifully. Just relaying a major difference in sound when I installed the metal TT on my system. I'm not positive that the metal has that much to do with the increased turbo sound. I'm 'just guessing' that the metal does not soak up as much sound as plastic or rubber.

Quite frankly, I'm very impressed with the system that you created. You're ability to 'fabricate' is, certainly, much greater than mine. You got the pleasure of building it yourself & the benefit of money saved. Not a bad deal!!!

Thanks for sharing your creation & for providing pictures, also.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 12-31-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Buffalo
53 ******,

I believe that you are right about the 'new' AFE Torque Tubes being made of plastic. However, when I bought mine, they were metal.

The one I have has a rubber elbow that goes from the turbo intake to the bottom of the TT. Where the TT connects to the AFE filter mount, there is another rubber sleeve.

I'm not, at all, suggesting that your set-up doesn't sing beautifully. Just relaying a major difference in sound when I installed the metal TT on my system. I'm not positive that the metal has that much to do with the increased turbo sound. I'm 'just guessing' that the metal does not soak up as much sound as plastic or rubber.

Quite frankly, I'm very impressed with the system that you created. You're ability to 'fabricate' is, certainly, much greater than mine. You got the pleasure of building it yourself & the benefit of money saved. Not a bad deal!!!

Thanks for sharing your creation & for providing pictures, also.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Thanks Joe, I was not taking any offense to what you said.
I think what will really make it quite again would be the box/enclosure that I wanted to build.

happy new year!!

Mark
Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally got a day off work today and got it installed this morning. I was really surprised how easy it was to install. Here's a pic-

Let me tell you, TONS OF !!!!!!!!!!!! Sound like an F-18 taking off under the hood. For the money, I don't think there's a better set-up.Talk about bang for your buck! I just wanna thank 53willys for the idea and technical advice.

P.S. 53, please post up when you get the box built, as I'll be watching close. Always looking for shade-tree projects!
Attached Thumbnails Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up-colorado_pictures_232.jpg   Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up-colorado_pictures_234.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:00 PM

The install looks very straight forward. Great looking intake.
Besides the extra is there any other performance that you guys see?? Lower EGT's?? Fast Boost??
Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't had time to really test yet. I'm working tonight so I'll do a little test drive tomorrow and post.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 PM

NIce job Dixie!!!!
I will keep you posted on the box and another little trick I came up with soon.

as far as performance goes it seems to spool the engine a little more freely and the EGT has gone down 75-90-degrees while cruising on the freeway. I have not had a chance to tow with this intake yet.

maybe I should do a dyno run with and without the intake to see what the gains really are

Mark

Quick Reply: Homemade 6" Air intake, AKA the "whistler", tech write-up